Widgets Magazine
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 44454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1236

Thread: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I’m not disagreeing with any of that, but just pointing out that it has to be done in partnership with tribal nations. That’s why I’m not questioning which restaurant options the Chickasaw Nation has in Okana. That’s where this discussion started.
    I think Hot Rod is talking OKC in general not just Okana and I think he's talking beyond just restaurants.

I agree with him. Like I said, I had that same thought on here (I think?) about 15-20 years ago. But was told that it would perpetuate the country bumpkin stigma. I remember that I brought up how Texas and Dallas played up their cowboy image but could also still be cosmopolitan. I think OKC could do the same. Why would anyone travel to or stay a night in OKC just to shop at the same stores as at home and eat in the same chains? We should embrace what makes us unique.

It has been discussed a bit earlier in this thread, and it bears repeating. A lot of the food culture that you can find in other countries is not present in the Americas. A major contributor to that was the widespread cultural genocide that European colonialization brought to the native peoples of the Americas. We have some limited examples of traditional dishes, but nothing on the same level of specificity that you would find in Europe, Asia, or Africa. For the record, I am not calling native American cultures primitive, they simply lacked the same continuity and cultural exchange that helped make certain foods ubiquitous within a given tribe/civilization on other continents. You could certainly open a restaurant that utilized local ingredients and native cooking methods. I think you would have a very hard time opening a high-end restaurant to the level of the Michelin guide that focused exclusively on Chicksaw foods and preparation techniques. You are going to end up with a very similar menu to other hunter gatherer cultures with limited domestic agriculture just with regional differences.

I'm not even sure where to start with the inaccuracies and assumptions in your post, but saying Indigenous nations didn't have "continuity and cultural exchange" is a good place to start. Suggesting that the Chickasaw Nation were not agriculturalists is another.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I'm not even sure where to start with the inaccuracies and assumptions in your post, but saying Indigenous nations didn't have "continuity and cultural exchange" is a good place to start. Suggesting that the Chickasaw Nation were not agriculturalists is another.
    I did not say that they did not have continuity and cultural exchange. I stated accurately that they had less that we can directly reference due to the widespread destruction of multiple native American civilizations due to the "discovery" and colonization of the Americas. We cannot directly reference nearly as many primary and secondary source documents that we can for Europe, Asia, and Africa. I also did not state that the Chickasaw were not actively farming. The scale they were farming at the time comparatively to European, Asian, and African was factually lower than other cultures during that time period. The Americas did not have the benefit other continents had of animals that were good for domestication. They also had inferior cereal crops that were not as easily harvested at scale. At no point in time am I marginalizing the Chickasaw or any other native Americans, the cards and resources each civilization is dealt are not the same. You are talking nonsense right now and need to focus more on reading comprehension.

Why is this conversation taking place in this thread again, seems more appropriate in the FAM thread? The OKANA planners probably hired consultants that suggested popular 'comfort' foods that are recognizable, quick, and affordable to guests that spent the whole day outside or inside the water park.

Press release:

MAPS 4 to begin construction on pedestrian bridge over Oklahoma River
    05/22/2024

Construction has begun on a bike and pedestrian bridge that will span the Oklahoma River at Eastern Avenue, north of OKANA Resort and Indoor Waterpark.

The MAPS 4 pedestrian bridge will connect the trail on the south shore to the four-mile Greenway River Trail on the north shore. It is the first of two City-funded pedestrian bridges planned to span the seven-mile-long Oklahoma River.

The 614-foot long, 20-foot-wide concrete and steel bridge will include lighting and is expected to take about a year to complete. It is expected to cost about $5.7 million.

Contractors will use barges to build the bridge. Bridge work will be suspended temporarily to accommodate two major Riversport OKC events.

“The public space transformation project is part of the $154-million package dedicated to improving our City’s parks system,” MAPS Manager David Todd said. “The pedestrian bridge will provide a unique view of the Oklahoma River and make a needed connection to the Greenway Trail.

Greenway River Trail will be closed during MAPS 4 pedestrian bridge construction

The Greenway River Trail between the Boathouse District and Eastern Avenue will be inaccessible to the public for about a year during construction on the MAPS 4 pedestrian bridge.

To avoid traveling into a dead end, cyclists and runners can leave the Katy Trail at Douglass Park and travel westbound on NE 4th Street to Russell M Perry Avenue, then travel southbound on Perry Avenue into Bricktown and connect to the Boathouse District and the North River Trail at Regatta Park. Follow this map.

The four-mile Greenway River Trail links the North Oklahoma River Trail to the Katy Trail.

MAPS 4 dam work expected to begin in late 2024

Construction on a $2.5 million low-water dam between Eastern Avenue and Reno Avenue is expected to begin in fall or winter 2024. The dam will extend the Oklahoma River basin to the east and improve the look of the river.

Work on the dam will include constructing a new landing for Oklahoma River Cruises.

First of two, I assume the other is the railroad bridge conversion over by Wheeler?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    First of two, I assume the other is the railroad bridge conversion over by Wheeler?
    Yes. The timeline and even the design is still up in the air.

Construction on a $2.5 million low-water dam between Eastern Avenue and Reno Avenue is expected to begin in fall or winter 2024. The dam will extend the Oklahoma River basin to the east and improve the look of the river.
    'Between Eastern Avenue and Reno Avenue' seems like a mistake in the press release, that barely would be past the current dam, even if it were around 4th or 10th street bridges it still would be the shortest distance between any of our low water dams. If anything that seems like the press release pulled the description of where the existing dam is, which will be one end of the new water basin.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    'Between Eastern Avenue and Reno Avenue' seems like a mistake in the press release, that barely would be past the current dam, even if it were around 4th or 10th street bridges it still would be the shortest distance between any of our low water dams. If anything that seems like the press release pulled the description of where the existing dam is, which will be one end of the new water basin.
    Completely agree. Also think anything west (SW) of NE 23rd St is also a mistake as the cost wouldn't be any different and extending it would significantly increase the land value and investment opportunities bringing more $ to the Metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    this is the second time i have seen this used as the the new dam location ... and like you i don't understand how that makes any sense ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is the second time i have seen this used as the the new dam location ... and like you i don't understand how that makes any sense ..
    Thinking about it. It would make sense if the plan is to demolish the Eastern Avenue dam to allow unrestricted access. Otherwise they would have build a lock and canoes and boats couldn't pass.

Can someone confirm?

If this is the plan there is going to be a lot of people saying "Why didn't they just build it at Reno to begin with?"

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Thinking about it. It would make sense if the plan is to demolish the Eastern Avenue dam to allow unrestricted access. Otherwise they would have build a lock and canoes and boats couldn't pass.

Can someone confirm?

If this is the plan there is going to be a lot of people saying "Why didn't they just build it at Reno to begin with?"
    ahh that would make much much more sense I bet you are on to something ..

if that is the case the still should have added money for an additional dam at 10th or further ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    ahh that would make much much more sense I bet you are on to something ..

if that is the case the still should have added money for an additional dam at 10th or further ..
    Yeah, I would hope they would at least build a new dam with a lock with the intent of having another dam down stream in the future. Otherwise, it just looks like we spent a lot of money to slightly expand the river for rafting.

Also, I guess the new dam would have to be a little higher to compensate for it being further east?

I believe the entire purpose for the new dam is to have controlled water adjacent to a large portion of City-owned land on the south side of the river. I believe the Chickasaws are involved as well.

thank you for the slides ..

that seems to me to be very shortsighted ... it should go much further east

^

I think that was the original plan but it was too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yeah, I would hope they would at least build a new dam with a lock with the intent of having another dam down stream in the future. Otherwise, it just looks like we spent a lot of money to slightly expand the river for rafting.

Also, I guess the new dam would have to be a little higher to compensate for it being further east?
    I always thought it was for visual aesthetics. Maybe the reference points mentioned is the basin, from Eastern Ave to Reno, or just to the other side of the I-40 bridges ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I always thought it was for visual aesthetics. Maybe the reference points mentioned is the basin, from Eastern Ave to Reno, or just to the other side of the I-40 bridges ?
    Yeah, Pete cleared it up. Just one smaller dam a little bit further east. No impact eastern avenue dam.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Greenway River Trail between the Boathouse District and Eastern Avenue will be inaccessible to the public for about a year during construction on the MAPS 4 pedestrian bridge.
    That seems like an unnecessarily long stretch of the trail to close. I'm pretty sure that's about a mile and a half of trail from the boathouse to where the bridge actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by okcrun View Post
    That seems like an unnecessarily long stretch of the trail to close. I'm pretty sure that's about a mile and a half of trail from the boathouse to where the bridge actually is.
    Make sense to me. If the trail is closed just before where construction begins, the pedestrian or biker has to turn around and go back to the boathouse. There is no where else to go as you are trapped between I-40 and the river. As an aside, I travel that section of I-40 several times a week and have never seen anyone using the trail, so not many people will be affected anyway. Hopefully once the bridge and OKANA are complete foot and bike traffic will increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It is the first of two City-funded pedestrian bridges planned to span the seven-mile-long Oklahoma River.
    While maybe not City-funded, there is also the long-term plan for 'Bridging the Gap: Multimodal Connections on I-35 Over the Oklahoma River', that would add an additional pedestrian option in that area.

I have used that trail probably a dozen times and I was bummed when I heard it would be closed for a year. Last fall, the LandRunners running club used that trail a lot to train for the Route 66 Marathon because of all of the hills on it.

Thread Information