Widgets Magazine
Page 482 of 486 FirstFirst ... 382432477478479480481482483484485486 LastLast
Results 12,026 to 12,050 of 12127

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Energy Center

^

Just like with questions about fixing their windows, Devon isn't talking about this.

They haven't turned on the LED lighting in a couple of years, at least.

A supertall skyscraper is coming to..... Austin, Texas

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/su...wer/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Just like with questions about fixing their windows, Devon isn't talking about this.

They haven't turned on the LED lighting in a couple of years, at least.
    I have a friend that works for Hines engineering in the DEC. They are in the process of sourcing new exterior lights that aren't extruding as much from the building itself. It will likely be a bit of an aesthetic change to the previous lighting design as a result. The current lighting setup is functionally irreparable and has to be completely replaced.

4. Default Re: Devon Energy Center

Hope they get their money back on that system then. Seems to have have had a half life of 5 minutes.

Does anyone know why they replaced the two top panels with non-clear windows. It's obvious if you are driving E on I-40

Quote Originally Posted by okccowan View Post
    Does anyone know why they replaced the two top panels with non-clear windows. It's obvious if you are driving E on I-40
    I think those are still temporary windows

Almost complete on the new valet parking area on Sheridan:

Knew something looked different, think this is all done now- walked around Myriad yesterday and noticed this from across the street.

Anyone see the LED lights on the middle southern section of the tower?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8423.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	18058

I don’t know if this has always been doing it but some of the LED lights are working tonight, just a small section.

Came here to post about the lighting. It looks different than the previous lighting system.

Name:	IMG_2896.jpeg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	18060

Name:	IMG_2895.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	18061

Name:	IMG_2894.jpeg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	18062

Name:	IMG_8426.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	18064

Now there’s a pink light in one of the triangles at the top

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, DEVON! It took some years but I'm glad to see them changing things up, and in colorful fashion.

Good to see OKC's most prominent structure coming back to the 21st century.

^

Thanks for the photos!

Looks like the system on the three large vertical grooves will be horizontal rather than the original system which was vertical.

^

Thanks for the photos!

Looks like the system on the three large vertical grooves will be horizontal rather than the original system which was vertical.

^

Looking closer, the new lighting may actually be inside the glass rather than on the outside stainless steel fins of the original system.

They look continuous between floors so not sure how that could be done inside the glass.

Like I have said previously this will be a long painstaking process that will cost Devon Millions of dollars. This is literally just a test concept, none of this is remotely close to final. The area that is lit is in the peak of the crown and has no floors separating it. To put it in perspective the bottom of the triangle on top is on the 49th floor in the main dining room of Vast. The red circle of the purple lights on the V is technically all on the 50th floor. So all of the lighting currently is 100% inside of the windows. In certain areas of the restaurant, you can actually see all the way to the top of the building. All of the lighting installed currently are temporary and are being used to test the system. As most of you know the previous lighting system was a disaster almost from the get-go and the wind incident with the gondola was the death knell of lights on the tower for the last several years. Hopefully we will see a full renovation of the lighting system in the next year.

What exactly is the cause of the previous lighting issues? Why can’t Devon go after the contractor if it is a faulty system?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    What exactly is the cause of the previous lighting issues? Why can’t Devon go after the contractor if it is a faulty system?
    I am not a lawyer, I don't work for Devon. Ask Larry Nichols and his buddies running the joint. All I know is what my drinking buddy from Hines tells me. In his words the lights have been "****ed up from the beginning."

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The original system was installed as part of vertical stainless steel fins. I talked to the lighting contractor behind the scenes several times (they are a national company) and they claimed they could not get the access they needed to the Building Maintenance Unit (BMU) that is also used for window-washing and other maintenance. I believe the lighting company installed the light elements on the fins (or provided direction how to do so) but obviously, the general contractor had to install them on the outside of the building, from top to bottom. I seem to recall there were claims of damage to the lights during installation.

There was an impasse and I think Devon just decided to make do without even light working. Remember, Hines was handling all the construction management and they have shared some blame as well. I've never seen any litigation over this, so pretty clear this wasn't the clear fault of any one entity.

It seemed more started to malfunction and then there was the window-washing debacle where a bunch of windows were broken (and more damage to the lights) and that seemed to be end of the original system.

Given the incredibly difficult and long process to replace the broken windows, it seems any sort of damage to the skin of this building results in a huge challenge. If you ever look at it close-up, you'll see there is a stainless metal grid outside the glass and the fins up the sides look pretty fragile.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    I am not a lawyer, I don't work for Devon. Ask Larry Nichols and his buddies running the joint. All I know is what my drinking buddy from Hines tells me. In his words the lights have been "****ed up from the beginning."
    Well, as construction manager, Hines employees should know. They should have been ultimately responsible to keep it from being ****ed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Well, as construction manager, Hines employees should know. They should have been ultimately responsible to keep it from being ****ed up.
    And if it was that simple, there would have been litigation. That lighting cost millions.

The guy on the lighting side swears it was the construction company.

My take on it was this it was a new type of system and it was too delicate for the realities of installation and maintenance, and those factors were never properly considered until it was too late.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And if it was that simple, there would have been litigation. That lighting cost millions.

The guy on the lighting side swears it was the construction company.

My take on it was this it was a new type of system and it was too delicate for the realities of installation and maintenance, and those factors were never properly considered until it was too late.
    Construction manager should have overall responsibility. If it was a mistake in specifying then the architect/engineering firm errored and could be responsible. If it was approved for the application, someone approved it and it shouldn’t be that hard to find out who. If it wasn’t installed to spec, then the installing contractor has liability. If all was to spec and it doesn’t work, the manufacturer has liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Construction manager should have overall responsibility. If it was a mistake in specifying then the architect/engineering firm errored and could be responsible. If it was approved for the application, someone approved it and it shouldn’t be that hard to find out who. If it wasn’t installed to spec, then the installing contractor has liability. If all was to spec and it doesn’t work, the manufacturer has liability.
    It could very well be that Hines just took a hit on this, and we'd never know.

I assure you the lighting company was not willing to do that.

Thread Information