Widgets Magazine
Page 48 of 86 FirstFirst ... 4344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2146

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

It's good to see players are finally getting even a small percentage of the value of their labor. If football is really the money maker it is, OU should have no problem footing the bill for top tier talent

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    It's good to see players are finally getting even a small percentage of the value of their labor. If football is really the money maker it is, OU should have no problem footing the bill for top tier talent
    I'm not sure I follow that logic. OU may have a lot of money making power but they can't use that money to "foot the bill" for top tier talent. That has to come from outside of the university.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Not only does it invite more pressure to these kids, but also more expectations and fan criticism. The fans booing Rattler, I'm sure it was brought on by the fact that he had these NIL deals and wasn't perceived as living up to the hype, or not worth the money, or not worth what he was being paid. Granted, they aren't paying him directly, but when you pay for a product where players now are paid themselves, the expectations and criticism totally change. In the past, I think fans know that these are kids -- amateur athletes -- but now they are semi-pro players. I would think that had he not these NIL deals, the fans wouldn't have boo'd him directly. For example, I love to b!tch and complain and yell at Dad Prescott when I watch his abysmal performances on TV. My anger is directed at him because he is completely overpaid for his abilities. I criticize him very heavily as he's not living up to the money he's being paid. Now when I watch OU play, I may be calling out individual names but I don't have the same anger-drive because in my mind, these are just kids playing the game. Sure I am disappointed, but that's just it, I start blaming the paid coaches! But now that these kids are going to be making money, depending on how much the NIL deals are, it's going to be easy to criticize and boo them. IDK, it's all really crazy!
    Yeah it was driven by the NIL deals, poor play and he just has a personality that makes him generally unlikable.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Oklahoma is way short on large corporations that can foot that bill. Will be a huge disadvantage against the Texas, Calif other big monied States
    Imagine that! DCSooner thinks something involved with the date of Oklahoma is disadvantaged and screwed with nothing to back it up.

I’ve heard we’re going to be as competitive as anyone in the NIL stuff. You know there are alumni and companies outside of the state of Oklahoma that went to OU, donate to OU and are fans of OU….right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That's ridiculous.

How has OU raised billions for athletic facilities and other campus improvements? How does OU have an endowment of over $1.7 billion?

OU has hundreds if not thousands of very wealthy O&G alums and lots of generous donors in other fields.
    Yeah as someone said above…I guess Alabama, LSU and virtually every school in the SEC is screwed then with that logic.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I'm not sure I follow that logic. OU may have a lot of money making power but they can't use that money to "foot the bill" for top tier talent. That has to come from outside of the university.
    this exactly

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    The problem is OU doesn't have a ton of wealthy entrepreneurs who would pay athletes for publicity sake. The alumni base is somewhat poor, on the whole. Especially compared to UT or TAMU.
    UT and TAMU receive proceeds from oil and gas production in the state of Texas, IIRC ?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Does anyone think CW will come back to OU and say “I’ve been offered $X by X school. If you want to match it, I will stay?”

I was talking to my brother about it and it will basically be free agency this year and next until the whole process works itself out. Don’t be surprised if a team that is historically terrible in football (like Duke or Kentucky) starts to get good players because they have the endorsements/donors to pay that too talent and coerce them to come to their school.
    CW did state that OU would have the last chance to talk to him before he makes his decision. So what does that tell you ???

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    The problem is OU doesn't have a ton of wealthy entrepreneurs who would pay athletes for publicity sake. The alumni base is somewhat poor, on the whole. Especially compared to UT or TAMU.
    You ever seen the private aircraft that fly into Max Westheimer on game day ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    UT and TAMU receive proceeds from oil and gas production in the state of Texas, IIRC ?
    That’s not where NIL money comes from.

It isn’t hype to say that OU has been a Top 5 program in college football for 75 years. They have spent the money and found the resources to maintain that status and be a leader in the sport through different eras. There is no reason to think they will lose that ability now. OU has been a CFB leader at finding money and expanding the business since at least the TV rights lawsuit they led (along with Georgia) in the early 1980s, to the formation of the Big 12 and through today’s playoff. OU is always at front.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    That’s not where NIL money comes from.
    My response was about the alumni base and the fact that those Tx schools have resources. I know NIL comes from corporate sponsors.

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

A glance at some key OU 2022 Football Commits

Nick Evers
    QB 6-3 / 188 lb., Flower Mound, TX

Jake Taylor
    OT 6-6 / 290 Bishop Gorman, Las Vegas

Jacob Sexton
    OT 6-6 / 299 Edmond, Deer Creek, OK

Nicholas Anderson
    WR 6-3 / 195 - Katy, TX

Kip Lewis
    OL 6-1 / 200 - Carthage, TX

QB=Quarterback
    OT = Offensive Tackle
    OL=Outside Linebacker
    WR=Wide Receiver

Looks like it's unofficially official Caleb's gone

https://twitter.com/AllmericanMayes/...29156040241152

In addition to Dillon Gabriel who has already committed to transfer in, OU has two QB's visiting this week: Jaxson Dart of USC and Chubba Purdy of Florida State.

Going to be just fine without Caleb.

In addition to Dillon Gabriel who has already committed to transfer in, OU has two QB's visiting this week: Jaxson Dart of USC and Chubba Purdy of Florida State.

Going to be just fine without Caleb.
    Yes we will. I just assume flush out anyone who’s questioning their commitment to the program, bring in transfers and recruits who are excited and enthusiastic about OU to fill the gaps, and move on. We will be better off for it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yes we will. I just assume flush out anyone who’s questioning their commitment to the program, bring in transfers and recruits who are excited and enthusiastic about OU to fill the gaps, and move on. We will be better off for it in the long run.
    100% agree.

With the ultra-intense Jerry Schmidt back as strength & conditioning coach, commitment is going to be needed.

He left for A&M when Riley took the job (believe they had a disagreement on what was needed to make players strong and tough) but came back for Venables. Schmitty is considered the best in the business and may be the most important change of all.

Yeah that's how I feel, too. I do take some comfort in the fact Caleb (assuming he ends up at USC) is making an emotional decision rather than a football decision here. He wants to be with Riley, above all else.

With the ultra-intense Jerry Schmidt back as strength & conditioning coach, commitment is going to be needed.

He left for A&M when Riley took the job (believe they had a disagreement on what was needed to make players strong and tough) but came back for Venables. Schmitty is considered the best in the business and may be the most important change of all.
    In hindsight, a lot of Riley's choices are looking more and more on brand now that I feel like I have a pretty good feel for his brand.

Soft.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Yeah that's how I feel, too. I do take some comfort in the fact Caleb (assuming he ends up at USC) is making an emotional decision rather than a football decision here. He wants to be with Riley, above all else.
    Might have to do with how much NIL cash USC groups are promising him as well.

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

The college football player transfer portal is becoming a revolving door. The OU Sooners football tradition receives strong support from donors and alums.

Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, training facilities and player dormitory accommodations are first class.

Wish Caleb Williams the best.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Might have to do with how much NIL cash USC groups are promising him as well.
    Could be, but I'm sure money isn't the top issue. He'll get paid wherever he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Looks like it's unofficially official Caleb's gone

https://twitter.com/AllmericanMayes/...29156040241152
    Best of luck. If he enjoys playing to smaller crowds and playing in a time zone where half the country is done watching football for the day, have at it. Personally I have no interst watching USC play Washington State at 10 on Sat. night.

I just couldn't disagree more with everyone's take here. Williams is more talented than the QBs OU is bringing in and OU will be worse for it. Moreover, I have absolutly no problem with Williams leaving. He committed to Riley, who was considered an offensive genius and quarterback whisperer by every OU fan until the day he left. I trust Williams is making the best decision for himself and I'm not going to throw him under the bus for it. Moreover, he's taking one of the top freshman wide receivers in the country with him in Mario Williams. Another big loss.

Thread Information