Widgets Magazine
Page 48 of 103 FirstFirst ... 434445464748495051525398 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2567

Thread: Omni Hotel

1. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Well the Hornets were playing to huge crowds from 2005-2007. I'm a little skeptical on that concert scene w/o seeing a compare and contrast of what the Myriad had for the 5 years pre Ford Center and first 5 years of the Ford Center.
    I go to a lot of "sold out" concerts at the Chesapeake Arena" Most recently was the Eagles. Bands who can fill up large arenas book in those venues. The Cox Center could not attract the quality of show that the Chesapeake does. On another note. All the hotels downtown tell me that they sell out during these shows. That means lots of outside $$$$ coming into okc.

Default Re: Convention Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I go to a lot of "sold out" concerts at the Chesapeake Arena" Most recently was the Eagles. Bands who can fill up large arenas book in those venues. The Cox Center could not attract the quality of show that the Chesapeake does. On another note. All the hotels downtown tell me that they sell out during these shows. That means lots of outside $$$$ coming into okc.
    I don't have issue that bands who fill large arenas book these venues. The fact still remains that several large acts in recent memory do not come here. The Stones were in Dallas last week, Oklahoma not so much. There have been numerous acts that have chosen Tulsa over OKC, such as Springsteen some years ago. I just do not see the quality of acts on a consistent basis coming to OKC, and IMHO the Myriad was booking these acts prior to the Ford/Chesapeake being erected. That is why I would like to see a comparison of a 5 year run prior comparing the Myriad to the first 5 years of the new arena. I don't doubt that hotels make money, but I am of the opinion those hotels that were servicing the Myriad for shows held there did well also.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    On another note. All the hotels downtown tell me that they sell out during these shows. That means lots of outside $$$$ coming into okc.
    I wonder how much is actually 'outside $$$$ '. My brother goes to several concerts and he always gets a hotel room, and he lives here.

4. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I wonder how much is actually 'outside $$$$ '. My brother goes to several concerts and he always gets a hotel room, and he lives here.
    Both the Renaissance and Sheriton say they are people from outside of okc. With that being said I guess they could be from Norman or Edmond. Even if that is the case it is OKC collecting the tax. We have also considered a room but they are always full so it is uber there and back.

5. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I don't have issue that bands who fill large arenas book these venues. The fact still remains that several large acts in recent memory do not come here. The Stones were in Dallas last week, Oklahoma not so much. There have been numerous acts that have chosen Tulsa over OKC, such as Springsteen some years ago. I just do not see the quality of acts on a consistent basis coming to OKC, and IMHO the Myriad was booking these acts prior to the Ford/Chesapeake being erected. That is why I would like to see a comparison of a 5 year run prior comparing the Myriad to the first 5 years of the new arena. I don't doubt that hotels make money, but I am of the opinion those hotels that were servicing the Myriad for shows held there did well also.
    When the Myriad was the only venue then they would get every show who would come. As for the shows it all depend on what you prefer. I have seen the stones twice and would not go if they were her. Just not that big of a deal to me. A lot of the shows are also booked on the availability of the facility in regards to lining up with the bands tour. It either works or it does not. When it comes down to events I believe that Tulsa would trade them all for an NBA team. The same argument could be made to why OKC got one and not Tulsa.

I think the reason more big name concerts end up in Tulsa is because the Peake and the BOK center have the same promoter and since people in OKC don't have any qualms about driving to Tulsa for shows, they do what is easiest and book them in Tulsa. It seems to me OKC went through a short stint between the opening of the Ford Center and the construction of the BOK center where it was getting better concerts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I think the reason more big name concerts end up in Tulsa is because the Peake and the BOK center have the same promoter and since people in OKC don't have any qualms about driving to Tulsa for shows, they do what is easiest and book them in Tulsa. It seems to me OKC went through a short stint between the opening of the Ford Center and the construction of the BOK center where it was getting better concerts.
    Agree,

SMG (Spectator Management Group) operates both venues. Recall when Oklahoma City opened the Peake pre NBA Thunder franchise. OKC's arena was a hot item for concerts.

Ford Center makes list of top concert venues<BR>Magazine's ranking based on ticket sales | News OK

Once the NBA entered our market; those sports & entertainment dollars dwindled along with the appetite for NCAA Division I collegiate basketball. The All Sports Association's annual All College Basketball tournament took a hit.

8. Default Re: Convention Hotel

I don't agree that the sports and entertainment dollars dwindled, the dollars are still there and likely there's more since more jobs and people have been added to OKC since the arrival of the NBA. I would, however, state that people are making specific choices with their discretionary income since the choices are better than they were pre-NBA. Before the NBA, one had no choice but to go to Div I and All Sports Association events, today, there is 'better' options with the Thunder and people chose not to support Div 1 anymore.

I think this is normal for a city, actually. OKC was solely a minor league and collegiate city for so long, then in comes the NBA. Of course OKC will support the NBA, and because the product is so good (as in OKC has always had an elite team), then the fans see no reason to support the minor leagues/collegiate in the same way as they had before. Not less money but a conscious decision by many to only support the top tier of sport in OKC.

What the other teams/league need to figure out is how to bring back their support. Winning surely helps, as does anything that brings about media attention. This is where OKC is lacking IMO with the exception of the OU Sooners football team. This is what we need to change, not sit on our laurels blaming the NBA that OKC's other teams don't draw.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Ahead of the game: Economic downturn may help OKC convention center hotel plans

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record March 3, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma’s energy-driven economic downturn will have little effect on the development of a new downtown convention center and adjacent hotel, industry watchers said Thursday.

If anything, recession-like conditions may actually make the project a little more attractive, said Hank Wolpert, vice president of Denver-based Hospitality Real Estate Counselors.

“During a downturn, your construction costs may be a little bit lower and your labor pool will be a little larger, so you might be able to save 10 to 15 percent in the cost of the project,” Wolpert said.

Construction of the $285 million convention center will start in late 2017. It is slated to open in 2020 in conjunction with the completion of a 70-acre central park and modern streetcar route, which are also part of a larger package of projects worth $777 million under the MAPS 3 temporary sales tax.

After a delay in the site selection process a year ago, the city acquired most of the necessary property parcels for convention center construction between Robinson Avenue and Shields Boulevard and between SW Seventh and Fourth streets.

An adjacent hotel was not included in the original MAPS 3 promotional material before residents voted, but City Council members have since agreed that much of the convention center’s success will depend on how easily attendees can get to their rooms between events. Although council members Ed Shadid and Pete White have voiced concerns about whether the city should subsidize the hotel’s construction somehow, nothing has been formally discussed.

In September, City Hall pared down a list of bids to develop a hotel to four: Omni Hotels, which operates 60 properties in North America; Matthews Southwest, with projects including the Dallas Omni conference hotel; Marcus Hotels and Resorts, which owns or manages 20 properties in 11 states, including downtown’s Skirvin Hilton; and Mortenson, which has developed convention hotels in Boston and Denver.

Jeff Higley, editorial director at Hotel News Now magazine, said the hospitality industry takes a much longer perspective on economic factors, even though the region might be suffering as energy companies such as Devon and SandRidge lay off workers.

“Oil-producing areas have been hit a little harder – Houston, Oklahoma City, the Dakotas and Utica shale zone in western Pennsylvania and eastern Ohio. Hotels in those areas have definitely been affected,” Higley said. “But you’re looking at a five-year window of incubation before a hotel actually opens.”

Wolpert agreed.

“When you’re talking about a newly built property, by the time you go through planning, permitting, financing and construction, you’re probably talking about a significant period of time down the road,” he said. “Your city will rebound, and then you’ll want to be ahead of the game.”

Wolpert said from his office in Dallas that he’s too familiar with the impact of oil prices on the region, but those economic effects take place on a different level than tourism.

“You have to remember that with a major convention center with an adjacent hotel, you’re looking to attract several different markets: not just conventions, but gate shows and concerts as well,” he said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I don't agree that the sports and entertainment dollars dwindled, the dollars are still there and likely there's more since more jobs and people have been added to OKC since the arrival of the NBA...
    We added more jobs (quantity, not quality); however, of late we've lost some quality energy jobs which could affect the expenditures of discretionary income for sports entertainment. We've also added a quality minor league baseball franchise (Oklahoma City Dodgers) and two soccer franchises (established USL OKC Energy FC and NASL Rayo OKC); teams will go head-to-head in our metro market. During this time we've lost a non factor AHL OKC Barons' franchise which couldn't tap into those sports dollars because of the competing schedule with the NBA season which interlocked with that of the AHL.

As an avid ice hockey fan; Barons' disappointment wasn't my 'greatest friend.' Truly felt that our city could support both the NBA & AHL much like San Antonio which has a million more residents in their metro area; also, San Antonio doesn't have a major Top 10 collegiate football team (OU Sooners) drawing 85,000 fans consistently with a string of 92 sellouts and the Thunder with a sting of 229 sellouts which dates back to 2010 season; that's my take on dwelling sports entertainment dollars.

The sports entertainment dollars can only stretch so far. It's not a difficult choice to make when you have survival needs vs. sports entertainment or any kind of entertainment. Responsible family planning will protect that financial safety net during economic challenges.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City in a NUTSHELL...

We've compiled a list of entertainment districts, the key destinations, areas and trends as a guide to set you on your journey through OKC nightlife.
    A whole new golden age for Oklahoma City? | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

This article is almost six years old. Things have come a long way even in that time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStrings View Post
    This article is almost six years old. Things have come a long way even in that time!
    Oh so true, but those districts continue to strive & get better. . .

14. Default Re: Convention Hotel

add in Film Row, a complete article on Automobile Alley this time, an article on Deep Deuce and the Asian district, Uptown 23rd, 39th Street LGBT district, SOSA (as the fledgling district taking the place of then AAlley/fledgling), Oklahoma Health Center, Riversports Park, Farmers Market, and the soon to come Core-2-Shore and Convention district - then OKC will be even more complete.

OMG, I have inspiration to at least list the titles of Oklahoma City's districts and hot spots (very impressive):

* Oklahoma City Central Business District
    * Bricktown Entertainment District and Neighborhoods (Upper Bricktown, E Bricktown, Lower Bricktown, Canal & Fountain)
    * Arts District (I would rename this the Oklahoma City Civic Center [or District], personally since the place-making for such a name already exists)
    * Deep Deuce Historic Neighborhood
    * MidTown District
    * Automobile Alley Historic District and Residential Neighborhood
    * SOSA Urban Neighborhood
    * Film Row Historic District
    * Core-2-Shore Park and Convention District
    * Riversports Park
    * Oklahoma Health Center (an "Innovation District")
    * Uptown 23rd Street District
    * Plaza District
    * Paseo Arts District
    * Asian District
    * University 23rd
    * 39th Street LGBT District and Neighborhood
    * Capital Hill District and Neighborhood
    * Stockyard's City
    * Adventure District
    * Nichols Hills Plaza
    * Classen Curve + Triangle Retail District
    * Oklahoma State Capitol Campus
    * Western Avenue District
    * Meridian Hospitality District
    * Memorial (Road) Retail Super-Corridor
    * Northwest (Expressway) Business District
    ** North Lincoln Avenue District
    ** Eastside 23rd Urban District
    ** Wheeler District, Park, and Neighborhood
    ** Farmers Market
    ** Central Classen Corridor
    ** Park Avenue Retail District

All of these are in various forms of development/completion but the * exist today and the city for the most part could begin to claim them as hotspots in promotion. The ** need further development but are well along the planning/construction to be added to the list.

Good times!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Paying it forward: Proceeds from Skirvin deal will help fund convention center hotel
    By: Brian Brus The Journal Record May 17, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – About $7.4 million recovered from incentives to redevelop the historic Skirvin Hotel will go toward buying land for a new downtown hotel, the City Council decided Tuesday.

Council members, acting as trustees of the Oklahoma City Redevelopment Authority, unanimously agreed to transfer funds from the city’s Economic Development Fund to the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority to acquire and prepare property at the northeast corner of SW Third Street and Robinson Avenue for private redevelopment. The funds can also be used to pay expenses related to the due diligence required to buy the property and for selection of a developer for the MAPS 3 convention center hotel.

“The site is very important to the development of downtown Oklahoma City,” said Cathy O’Connor, president of the Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City. “It’s adjacent to the Chesapeake Arena; it’s across the street from the MAPS 3 park; and it’s across the street from the convention center site.”

City Manager Jim Couch said in a document to council members the parcel in question has been described by the Park and Convention Center design teams as iconic.

O’Connor said that over the next two months the Alliance will narrow down the list of hotel developers and provide more details for their proposals.

O’Connor was unable to answer Councilman Ed Shadid’s questions about whether developers would want the city involved in land acquisition.

“What we’re assuming at this point is that we will buy the land and lease it to them through a long-term ground lease, similar to the way we did the Skirvin so that we would earn revenues from that ground lease over time,” she said.

The city purchased the Skirvin in 2002 after a 15-year vacancy. The City Council then transferred the property to the Oklahoma City Redevelopment Authority, which sold it to development group Skirvin Partners LLC and agreed to roll about $22 million of public assistance back into development. The deal also called for those funds to be repaid as loans and lease payments.

Projections prepared in 2007 forecast lease and interest revenues between $2.8 million and $4.7 million by March this year. The actual revenues generated so far are in excess of $8 million. But about $700,000 of that money was used to repay a federal Brownfield Loan on the project.

Since the hotel reopened, the financial performance has exceeded expectations, O’Connor said, producing $2.5 million in sales taxes and $880,000 in ad valorem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    “What we’re assuming at this point is that we will buy the land and lease it to them through a long-term ground lease, similar to the way we did the Skirvin so that we would earn revenues from that ground lease over time,” she said.
    So, the site that has been proposed is bound by SW 3rd, SW 4th, Broadway and Robinson. If I remember correctly, that is the site of an old exit ramp from the old I-40. Does the state own that parcel and OKC has to purchase it from them? I feel like there are a few parcels that need to be purchased for the hotel spot, but I wouldn't think it would add up to $7.4MM.

The state owns the majority of the block; there are three privately-owned parcels that take up the western edge of the block fronting Robinson. Those parcels will have to be purchased from their respective owners.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ConventionCenterHotelSite.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	12583

HangryHippo Guest

Those 3 parcels are $7.4 million?

Well, there's also the state owned portion of the block. Is there any reason to believe that the city will be able to acquire it on the cheap?

I'm sure the state has to get what is fair market value for anything they sale, as they are doing so on behalf of taxpayers / citizens.

I'm also sure the city has already negotiated what everyone feels is a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    Those 3 parcels are $7.4 million?
    Pretty much my thought. I could see that being the case if the exit ramp area was a private owner, but since it is the state, they can't ask for too much or too little. It would surprise me if the cost to purchase the entire block costs more than $4 million.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Pretty much my thought. I could see that being the case if the exit ramp area was a private owner, but since it is the state, they can't ask for too much or too little. It would surprise me if the cost to purchase the entire block costs more than $4 million.
    Agree,

Besides the state will benefit from those parcels being developed.

Brand matters: Name on convention center hotel could make a difference

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record May 26, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – A recent hotel market report suggests that the success of a new convention center hotel in downtown Oklahoma City might rest on its brand name.

One-third of respondents in a survey by Meetings and Conventions magazine said brand affiliation is extremely important in selecting a hotel for an event, and another 50 percent said it was somewhat important.

When asked which factors were most influential in establishing brand loyalty, 88 percent cited past experience, 76 percent cited the quality of meeting space and 73 percent cited room quality.

“Having a convention center attached to a nearby hotel would definitely make the difference for some people to even choose the city. The brand of the hotel will be just as important,” magazine editor-in-chief Loren Edelstein said. “For some, it matters quite a bit.”

After Oklahoma City voters approved a MAPS 3 package of development projects worth $777 million in 2009, the City Council concluded that the new convention center component of the plan would need to be supported by an adjoining hotel. Years of discussion about the buildings’ size and site followed, and in late 2015 City Hall pared down a list of hotel developers to four.

Those companies are Omni Hotels, which operates 60 properties in North America; Matthews Southwest, with projects including the Dallas Omni conference hotel; Marcus Hotels and Resorts, which owns or manages 20 properties, including downtown’s Skirvin Hilton; and Mortenson, which has developed convention hotels in Boston and Denver.

City Council members have argued over the degree to which taxpayers should incentivize hotel development, with Councilman Ed Shadid the most stringent opponent of expanding the MAPS 3 program beyond its original scope. The majority, however, agree that an investment is necessary for the hotel site at Robinson Avenue and Oklahoma City Boulevard, just south of Chesapeake Energy Arena and north of the $252 million convention center. This month, they approved $7.4 million to purchase the property for oversight by the Urban Renewal Authority.

The question is familiar to the industry. In Nashville, Tennessee, for example, the city government provided $128 million in incentives for Omni to build a signature hotel for its new convention center. And in Omaha, Nebraska, ground was recently broken for a Marcus-operated hotel to anchor the Capitol District. City leaders a year earlier released a market study that concluded Omaha needed to at least offer incentives to convention groups in the form of hotel room rebates or subsidies.

“Omaha has lost conventions due to its inability to offer competitive incentive packages. Given that Omaha is in direct competition with cities which are able to offer incentives, it will likely need to do the same in order to draw new and/or repeat business in the future,” researchers wrote.

But those big brand names are also more likely to draw repeat customers, helping to ensure their success in the long run. According to the Meetings and Conventions report, only 12 percent of respondents said they are willing to consider a new or lesser-known hotel brand, while 75 percent said they were on the fence. And 87 percent said they’re concerned that industry consolidation will dilute brand differentiation.

“When people are selecting a destination, they might have a prior relationship with one of the major chains or a certain national sales contact they’re used to working with, and that’s going to sway the particular property they choose,” Edelstein said.

Thread Information