Widgets Magazine
Page 48 of 83 FirstFirst ... 4344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2070

Thread: University Town Center

Default Re: University Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree there.

OU may own the land and call it that, but it's not campus. Calling it the North campus because they have a couple of buildings on the airport grounds, is NOT the same thing as where 30k students are. Come on guys. You know that's a stretch. Anyone that tries to tell me there's any sort of equivalent between the actual REAL campus, and this is just dreaming. Ever see another real campus with Target, Shoe Warehouse, Chucky Cheese, etc on it? No? ok then.
    Especially when in the same breath saying the LNC is too far away from the main campus.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    most students don't live on campus ..
    MOST students don't go to any games, including football.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    MOST students don't go to any games, including football.
    8,000 students go to football games there are 21k undergrad students ... that is where most of that 8k comes from ...

so i would not say most students don't go to football games ..

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i mean you say that. but in just my neighborhood here in norman, that is why they were excited about it being built there... they literally said they tried to avoid going anywhere near campus except for football games, and that they would most likey get season tickets since it would be so much closer.
    While that may apply to your neighborhood in Norman, I do not think that point translates to north of 240. I'm guessing that there would be fans on the east side and Noble that would not be as thrilled about it.

8,000 students go to football games there are 21k undergrad students ... that is where most of that 8k comes from ...

so i would not say most students don't go to football games ..
    8k students attending football games is not even 40% of the 21k undergrad population, how could that possibly not qualify as most students not going to football games?

Is it the same 8,000 students every Saturday? 8,000 different students going could cover the entire student population in just 3 games.

Oh it's certainly not the same 8000 every time, but I have a strong feeling that it is far closer to that than the entire student population cycling through.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Is it the same 8,000 students every Saturday? 8,000 different students going could cover the entire student population in just 3 games.
    and i will say there are more then 8k students at every game every week ... lots gets tickets in other ways ..

The 8k number appears to come from here? https://www.ou.edu/admissions/campus-life/athletics

There are 8,000 student football season tickets available in the OU student section. Of these 8,000 tickets, 6,800 will be allocated for sale to returning students in the spring and summer on-sale periods. There are 1,200 season tickets allocated for new students. If demand exceeds supply during this on-sale, a lottery will be held to determine which students will receive tickets. Click here for additional information regarding student football tickets.
    So at least that grouping of students are explicitly season ticket holders, but it does make sense that the total student attendance could be more than that.

and i will say there are more then 8k students at every game every week ... lots gets tickets in other ways ..
    That is a bold statement with no supporting authority. Just because you see a person at the game wbo is 18-22, does not mean they are an OU student.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The 8k number appears to come from here? https://www.ou.edu/admissions/campus-life/athletics

So at least that grouping of students are explicitly season ticket holders, but it does make sense that the total student attendance could be more than that.
    That 8k number out of 21k is fuzzy. Add in another 7k grad students to the student population eligible to buy tickets.
    I stand by the point most students do not go to fb games.

When I attended OU in late 70's and early 80's, there were 18,000 students with season tickets with a smaller enrollment and smaller stadium.

I'm pretty sure all OU students (including OUHSC and OU-Tulsa) are eligible to purchase tickets, or at least there were years ago.

14. Default Re: University Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Especially when in the same breath saying the LNC is too far away from the main campus.
    When did i say LNC is too far from campus? I've been saying the whole time that it should STAY on campus like LNC is now. Yes it's used for parking beacuse parking near the student bulidings sucks for commuters. But what does that have to do with being near the student population centers? The new softball stadium is on campus. The new track facilities will be on campus when they build the new indoor practice monster for football (which is on campus). Soccer and even the space hungry golf is still on campus in that area. Not in a strip mall. Campus is big, but what i'm saying is calling this area "campus" is a stretch of the accepted definition.

^ I was not refrencing you with that post. I would be in favor of anywhere on the main campus. I was more in agreement with you than moving the games to a strip center.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I thought EZ Million's deal was he wanted OU/Texas to play in Oklahoma every other year. The argument was Texas got all the economic benefit.

About the arena, I have laugh at one argument. Those arguing for it saying itll benefit attendance because its just a few miles closer to center of OKC is funny to me. Almost no one who doesnt attend games at LNC now would start attending games just because its off of Robinson instead of Highway 9.
    It's a silly argument. All of the arguments for the new arena at UTC are silly. If people are really trying to legitimize this proposal with these types of reasons, OU should just skip the UTC idea and play at the Paycom Center. it is more centrally located providing easier access to more people wanting to attend games, OU doesn't have to pay to build it, and it is near OUHS so it is "close to a campus."

17. Default Re: University Town Center

Well that's sort of what Kentucky did, but it's not really apples to apples. Rupp Arena is like 1 mile away since UK is in downtown Louisville.

Blog Entries

Well that's sort of what Kentucky did, but it's not really apples to apples. Rupp Arena is like 1 mile away since UK is in downtown Louisville.
    I think you meant downtown Lexington.

19. Default Re: University Town Center

There's also the possibility that an arena in this development might hurt the non-entertainment retail businesses surrounding it (Crest, Target, Michaels, HomeGoods, Office Depot, etc.). I do my grocery shopping at the Crest here, and I would be pretty annoyed if I had to fight basketball traffic while I was doing it. I'd probably just go to one of the east-side Walmarts instead. And I don't think enough basketball fans are going to stop by these stores on their way out to make up the difference in revenue. (Like Office Depot—what, is someone going to suddenly remember they need a four-pack of dry erase markers on the way home from the game?)

Blog Entries

Lol. That would be about 75 miles away from campus.

I don’t care where they put a new arena, just make it more basketball friendly

22. Default Re: University Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    I think you meant downtown Lexington.
    Yup, sorry. Lexington.

A couple of updates. One is the freshly poured entrance to the new construction area south of the hotels. Lifestyle Center perhaps? Looks to be a rather grand entrance, divided with median. The other pic is of the ongoing development of medical offices on the east side of 24th just south of Tecumseh.

UNP.jpg
    North 24th.jpg

Thank you for all of these Norman updates looking good

Have there been no hints on what’s going in that area in UNP? Been moving dirt for awhile now!

Thread Information