Widgets Magazine
Page 48 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2439

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

It read to me like a threat as well. The suggestion that he would know someone's identity soon was also creepy and threatening.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Being that I'm one of the thirsty citizens dependent on Lake Meredith - which really shouldn't even be called a lake - I'm concerned about the lack of attention on water conservation in the Texas Panhandle communities. I think many people will eventually leave the Panhandle, particularly Amarillo, for greener pastures.

3. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    ... well, when someone makes threats like that, I think that's cause for concern and an indication I might be dealing with a slightly imbalanced individual....
    You're just now catching on to that?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    You're just now catching on to that?
    The threat was made to me.

Quote Originally Posted by law View Post
    The threat was made to me.
    Law - that isn't how it works on this board. If you've got a problem with another member and can't resolve it in the open, then take it to a PM. If that doesn't work then bring in a moderator or the owner. Veiled threats directed in the open to an unnamed member in an unrelated thread may be how it's done elsewhere, but not here.

I haven't received a response from the admin yet.

A thread about freaking lake levels has come to this? Who woulda thunk it

What size & type of pipe are we talking here?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    A thread about freaking lake levels has come to this? Who woulda thunk it

The Canton lake area is getting some rain today so maybe that will calm things down a little. Lake should be full soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    The Canton lake area is getting some rain today so maybe that will calm things down a little. Lake should be full soon.
    Sure wish the last part of that statement would come true.... Sadly, it would take a rain of massive proportions to make that happen. We just keeping getting minor rains and the ground keeps drying out so bad between them that it is soaking in most of the potential run off. Canton lake just isn't rising much at all. It's still in grave danger of being a total loss as far as a fish kill. The algae has already started to bloom. With the intense heat that is sure to come this summer and the 5 ft. or better of evaporation the lake usually has, the future of Canton Lake looks pretty sad.

I am honestly glad that all the lakes in the metro area are full. That should provide enough water to get the residents there through what will likely be another hot, dry OK summer. I'm not sure what will happen after that for those in NW OKC dependent on Canton Lake water as their supplemental water supply, if we don't catch some major rains out here soon.

A pretty good storm moved through here during the night last night that dropped some heavy rains at my house for a brief period, not sure how much fell or how large spread the storms were yet. Hopefully it covered a large area to the NW of here that will run off into the river feeding Canton lake.

I just wish the Metro lakes had been full earlier in the spring and that the release from Canton had never been needed or could have at least been put off to see how much rain would fall. That would have given Canton lake a fighting chance to make it through summer in good health. As it looks now, that isn't going to be the case.

I think the totals from the gauging stations now show that there has been about enough water released from Overholser and sent on down the river, to equal the amount that was taken from Canton in the last release. I know hind sight is 20/20 but all we did was ask Marsha Slaughter to wait for spring rains.... would have been nice if it could have worked out that way.

We should fill Canton with Fracing waste water. Everyone says its safe and it would help bring your lake levels back up for recreation!

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTell View Post
    We should fill Canton with Fracing waste water. Everyone says its safe and it would help bring your lake levels back up for recreation!
    Nah - but maybe send it directly to a people who act as apologists for the industry when something goes wrong with a well or pipeline. After all, ADM Rickover was so sure of the safety of naval reactors he took a drink of primary coolant water. Maybe the frack fans should do the same?

Back to topic, did the Canton area receive a decent amount of rain in the last week or so?

Crossed the N. Canadian (ie 'Beaver' or 'Oklahoma' river depending on where you are) well north of Canton Res. and it was small, but flowing. This means the channel is moist enough that excess water will go downstream instead of into the sand. Just north in Kansas - Dodge City to be exact - the Arkansas River was bone dry. Furthermore, from the dead cottonwoods and bike trails, it has been dry for years. Sand Rivers will often appear 'dry' as what moisture exsist is in the sand out of sight. You can tell these rivers still live by the growth of Cottonwood trees in their basin (S. Canadian in Norman). The Arkansas in Western Kansas is dead. There was rain last night in the N. Canadian basin just north of Canton - heavy for at least a couple of hours. Lets hope this helps Canton make it through the Summer, hopefully 'normal' fall rains can begin to refill.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canton Rain.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	3840

ljbab728: And it isn't the first time we got the award. My dad used to work for the City in the Water Dept and I have a bottle of the winning stuff sitting at home. He told me then that it all depended on which reservoir you got your water from among other things.

Supposedly, that part of the Texas lawsuit the Supreme Court recently ruled in favor of Oklahoma on. The part of the water basin that Texas (Tarrant Water District) can access for their 1/4 of the the flowing water is not as desireable as the part that Oklahoma can access. The part they can access would take more work to make potable.

bump

bump bump

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    A lot of state is out of drought? What do you consider a lot? Because according to this article, not even half of the state is out of drought. Perhaps you're the one who doesn't understand this situation. 53.45% of Oklahoma is still in moderate to exceptional drought. Sounds like a couple of weeks of rain in May hasn't helped more than half of our state. But carry on with declaring the drought over.
    Things continue to improve...
    Less than half of Oklahoma in drought | News OK

... U.S. Drought Monitor report shows Oklahoma will enter summer with less than half the state in drought. The report has 42.09 percent of Oklahoma in moderate to exceptional drought as of conditions monitored Tuesday. That is compared to 50.87 percent in last week’s report.

21. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    You might as well forget about that "continue to improve" part. Models aren't showing more than a half inch of rain through July 8th. Hopefully its wrong or we'll see drought conditions start to increase a pretty good clip again.

Hopefully the water restrictions in place will help get any further issues at bay...

LOL! Those dependent on Hefner water should be at level 5, the ban on all outdoor water use, as Canton Lake is at 20.36%. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by law View Post
    LOL! Those dependent on Hefner water should be at level 5, the ban on all outdoor water use, as Canton Lake is at 20.36%. Just sayin'.
    What color is the sky in your world?

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    What color is the sky in your world?
    He/she does have a point. The rest of the city lakes and population is in good shape when it comes to water. But what is in Hefner is all that they will have for those dependent on Hefner water. There is no water upstream at the moment to refill Hefner, one dry summer would put Hefner at dangerous levels again. And it looks like we are entering a dry summer.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    He/she does have a point. The rest of the city lakes and population is in good shape when it comes to water. But what is in Hefner is all that they will have for those dependent on Hefner water. There is no water upstream at the moment to refill Hefner, one dry summer would put Hefner at dangerous levels again. And it looks like we are entering a dry summer.
    It's a case of our checking account being in great condition but our savings account a little too low for comfort.

Thread Information