Widgets Magazine
Page 47 of 86 FirstFirst ... 4243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2146

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I bet you were the "Where are the KD fans now?" guy too. Everybody knows a guy like you.
    No, it was just that when he was made starter during the season. People were saying CW is the best, he is our saviour, the future of Sooner football, blah, blah, blah. Now he jumps ship the first chance he gets.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    No, it was just that when he was made starter during the season. People were saying CW is the best, he is our saviour, the future of Sooner football, blah, blah, blah. Now he jumps ship the first chance he gets.
    During the Texas game, I just wanted to see someone besides Rattler under center. I know nothing about recruits, stars, any of that. I don't care to pay attention to much besides the games and in season news, so the fact Rattler was worse this year than last year was my first indication Riley might not be the great QB whisperer and/or coach he was made out to be.

And the fact these kids are going to be making millions takes away the argument against booing them like they're professionals, because, at this point, they are.

3. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    He's not gone yet, is he? We'll (Sooners fans) all be fans of whoever the starting QB is next year, whether or not it's Caleb.
    Absolutely correct!

And the fact these kids are going to be making millions takes away the argument against booing them like they're professionals, because, at this point, they are.
    I’m not a fan of what NIL is doing to college football, but I still disagree with booing our own players. I was also calling for rattler to be benched in favor of CW, but I would never boo him or any of our guys at a game. Something about booing my school, especially at home, just doesn’t feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I’m not a fan of what NIL is doing to college football, but I still disagree with booing our own players. I was also calling for rattler to be benched in favor of CW, but I would never boo him or any of our guys at a game. Something about booing my school, especially at home, just doesn’t feel right.
    I hear you, and I agree with you, but the past argument against criticizing players or booing players because they're kids playing a game has been made null. That's all I'm saying. With the NIL deal comes a lot more pressure for these young men. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out in the next few years.

.......With the NIL deal comes a lot more pressure for these young men. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out in the next few years.
    Not only does it invite more pressure to these kids, but also more expectations and fan criticism. The fans booing Rattler, I'm sure it was brought on by the fact that he had these NIL deals and wasn't perceived as living up to the hype, or not worth the money, or not worth what he was being paid. Granted, they aren't paying him directly, but when you pay for a product where players now are paid themselves, the expectations and criticism totally change. In the past, I think fans know that these are kids -- amateur athletes -- but now they are semi-pro players. I would think that had he not these NIL deals, the fans wouldn't have boo'd him directly. For example, I love to b!tch and complain and yell at Dad Prescott when I watch his abysmal performances on TV. My anger is directed at him because he is completely overpaid for his abilities. I criticize him very heavily as he's not living up to the money he's being paid. Now when I watch OU play, I may be calling out individual names but I don't have the same anger-drive because in my mind, these are just kids playing the game. Sure I am disappointed, but that's just it, I start blaming the paid coaches! But now that these kids are going to be making money, depending on how much the NIL deals are, it's going to be easy to criticize and boo them. IDK, it's all really crazy!

Yeah I always blame the coaches in college football, whether the kid has a big NIL deal or not. If the kid isn't making plays or getting any better, it's on the coaches. No reason to get too upset with student athletes of any age, really, in my opinion, for not playing well or making mistakes. They're still learning.

8. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Is outright offering a QB $1 million to transfer to his little Michigan school considered NIL? So, they ARE free-agents.

9. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Is outright offering a QB $1 million to transfer to his little Michigan school considered NIL? So, they ARE free-agents.
    I guess they are. When NIL was first talked about my understanding was the agreements would be between corporations and players. How it changed to the schools being involved is beyond me.

Corporations are supporting the NIL at schools. Good article in the paper today about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Corporations are supporting the NIL at schools. Good article in the paper today about it.
    Oklahoma is way short on large corporations that can foot that bill. Will be a huge disadvantage against the Texas, Calif other big monied States

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Oklahoma is way short on large corporations that can foot that bill. Will be a huge disadvantage against the Texas, Calif other big monied States
    I guess, but at the end of the day the football program has to be decent, too. It will be interesting to see how this reshapes recruiting, though, when NIL really hits stride and programs get that part incorporated fully.

I've been quietly worried about this very thing since all this has been blowing up. Could this ultimately be the demise of Oklahoma as an annual powerhouse?

You only need a few great players. Anymore there are a lot of great players. I think Oklahoma University will get their share. I think it has more to do with the personal relationships on who recruited who and the systems that are run. Nick Evers is a top rated QB and he signed. Dillion Gabriel is a top QB and he came via the portal. Everything will be good at OU.

Also, the coaching staff under construction will be a top 5 in the country. That alone will attract quality players.

Does anyone think CW will come back to OU and say “I’ve been offered $X by X school. If you want to match it, I will stay?”

I was talking to my brother about it and it will basically be free agency this year and next until the whole process works itself out. Don’t be surprised if a team that is historically terrible in football (like Duke or Kentucky) starts to get good players because they have the endorsements/donors to pay that too talent and coerce them to come to their school.

I think we’ll be fine as well. Getting a ton of big time recruits is one thing, developing those recruits is a different story. I think our new coaching staff will get the most out of these kids that come to OU.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Does anyone think CW will come back to OU and say “I’ve been offered $X by X school. If you want to match it, I will stay?”

I was talking to my brother about it and it will basically be free agency this year and next until the whole process works itself out. Don’t be surprised if a team that is historically terrible in football (like Duke or Kentucky) starts to get good players because they have the endorsements/donors to pay that too talent and coerce them to come to their school.
    Thing is, the player could conceivably do this every year, right? As things are now, anyway.

Also, I would hope OU would wish him well at his next stop.

19. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Thing is, the player could conceivably do this every year, right? As things are now, anyway.
    No, the NCAA has a rule where any athlete can transfer one time and not have to sit out a year.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    No, the NCAA has a rule where any athlete can transfer one time and not have to sit out a year.
    Apparently you can transfer multiple times as long as you do not attend any classes, someone had transferred twice this offseason but since the second transfer was the week before classes started at the first school they did not have to wait.

By that logic wouldn't Alabama and LSU be in the same boat? Possibly the entire SEC?

OU has had no trouble raising hundreds of millions from private parties and corporations for various athletic facilities.

To think we would be able to compete financially is absurd.

Blog Entries

Also, I would hope OU would wish him well at his next stop.
    Don't think CW really wants to go. Wish him farewell and see what happens. OU will not be used as a pawn.

Develop those incoming freshmen--OU has the talent and the pieces to move on.

The problem is OU doesn't have a ton of wealthy entrepreneurs who would pay athletes for publicity sake. The alumni base is somewhat poor, on the whole. Especially compared to UT or TAMU.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    The problem is OU doesn't have a ton of wealthy entrepreneurs who would pay athletes for publicity sake. The alumni base is somewhat poor, on the whole. Especially compared to UT or TAMU.
    That's ridiculous.

How has OU raised billions for athletic facilities and other campus improvements? How does OU have an endowment of over $1.7 billion?

OU has hundreds if not thousands of very wealthy O&G alums and lots of generous donors in other fields.

Thread Information