Widgets Magazine
Page 47 of 149 FirstFirst ... 424344454647484950515297147 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 3721

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

Yeah, I personally get that. Just saying it is 'sacred ground'. Politically, nobody is going to make those arguments at the City.

2. Default Re: Central Park

Maybe if they actually did things for the Hispanic community, or at least gave them representation on the council (Capitol Hill being split up 4+ ways, to minimize its influence), they wouldn't be afraid of them.

(Not directed at you..)

Blog Entries

There is a pedestrian bridge between Robinson Avenue Bridge (Oklahoma River) & Mark Hoffman Skate Park that has been closed since it completion; does any know if that area will be reopened for foot traffic?

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4470...7i13312!8i6656

^

It's open in those images.

The pedestrian path is the what is between the guard rail and green iron fence.

Blog Entries

The bridge crossing itself has a chain length fence with the gate pad locked. Never seen anyone use it except during its construction.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/r...7i13312!8i6656

That separate structure with the chain link fence and padlocked gate shows up in satellite pictures dating back to 1990 (the oldest available in Google Earth). I'm almost positive that is not a pedestrian bridge, but a bridge for utilities crossing the river - based mainly on the Google Earth view from February 1995. It appears to be a pipeline of some sort, maybe freshwater but I'm honestly not sure. It simply got spruced up when the Oklahoma River improvements were made and the Robinson bridge was redone. The pedestrian path is on the actual Robinson St bridge.

7. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    That separate structure with the chain link fence and padlocked gate shows up in satellite pictures dating back to 1990 (the oldest available in Google Earth). I'm almost positive that is not a pedestrian bridge, but a bridge for utilities crossing the river - based mainly on the Google Earth view from February 1995. It appears to be a pipeline of some sort, maybe freshwater but I'm honestly not sure. It simply got spruced up when the Oklahoma River improvements were made and the Robinson bridge was redone. The pedestrian path is on the actual Robinson St bridge.
    Correct. The bridge in question is not a pedestrian bridge, although I have witnessed kids crossing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Maybe if they actually did things for the Hispanic community, or at least gave them representation on the council (Capitol Hill being split up 4+ ways, to minimize its influence), they wouldn't be afraid of them.

(Not directed at you..)
    No problem. I am just being honest about what has been said regarding that Park. From what I have been told, there are many memories associated there. Now, to your point, perhaps a more defined vision about how it incorporate it in is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Correct. The bridge in question is not a pedestrian bridge, although I have witnessed kids crossing it.
    I don't know for sure but it appears to be a way to keep people from just walking up on that area to try to cross the river. There is an identical chain link fence on the other side of the river.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I don't know for sure but it appears to be a way to keep people from just walking up on that area to try to cross the river. There is an identical chain link fence on the other side of the river.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Re...6890d5!6m1!1e1
    Google Maps: (Robinson Avenue Bridge crossing Oklahoma River south toward Skate Park left); there are many possibilities to expand the street car south to Commerce Street & Historic Stockyards City.

Could interconnect from the Intermodal Transit Hub to possibly expand the street car south using Robinson Street Bridge via the lower Central Park. Now the new Robinson Street bridge does have an area for protected bike & pedestrian crossing. You could also consider expanding the street car route to use Robinson to Commerce & 25th street circling west toward Exchange Avenue into Cattlemens cafe to serve the historic Stockyards City District.

I lack the appropriate program to do it, but this image just screams out for an additional label.

Right between sports fields and promenade, with a line pointing to the land that will be excluded from the park, the label should read
    Lack of Commitment Square.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I lack the appropriate program to do it, but this image just screams out for an additional label.

Right between sports fields and promenade, with a line pointing to the land that will be excluded from the park, the label should read
    Lack of Commitment Square.
    Would be nice to buy this piece of property and do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Re...6890d5!6m1!1e1
    Google Maps: (Robinson Avenue Bridge crossing Oklahoma River south toward Skate Park left); there are many possibilities to expand the street car south to Commerce Street & Historic Stockyards City.

Could interconnect from the Intermodal Transit Hub to possibly expand the street car south using Robinson Street Bridge via the lower Central Park. Now the new Robinson Street bridge does have an area for protected bike & pedestrian crossing. You could also consider expanding the street car route to use Robinson to Commerce & 25th street circling west toward Exchange Avenue into Cattlemens cafe to serve the historic Stockyards City District.
    Does that have any relevance to what I said? I don't understand it if it does.

I remember some people arguing that this park lacked any real details like the Tulsa one, but personally I prefer a park that has more options for citizen idea use, whether it be just to stroll through it, organize your own activities, or let the city use it for events. What's important to remember is that this park will be a huge gain of improvement in the area that is currently just a big block of concrete with broken down buildings. I believe this will also increase the likability of the Skybridge as people will feel more comfortable walking to it and seeing it, rather than just driving underneath it.

Also: my first OKC_Talk post, woo!

^

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfTheNorth View Post
    Also: my first OKC_Talk post, woo!
    Yay! Welcome!

Thank you! Long time lurker. Thought I would chrip in on this since I moved from OKC to a city with more parks than they know what to do with.

This would be cool to see in the park.

This is exciting. The park may be the sleeper of the projects: it's appeal will be far greater than people project right now.

Blog Entries

I'm excited, I think the plans as detailed above look great. There are multiple different ways to experience outdoors and being downtown, this is a huge win.

Blog Entries

Has there been any discussion officially by the committee regarding a name? Hopefully not "Oklahoma City Park".

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Has there been any discussion officially by the committee regarding a name? Hopefully not "Oklahoma City Park".
    Cornett Park...

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Cornett Park...
    I would actually vote for this over anything with "OKC" or "Oklahoma City" in the name.

"Union Commons" was the winner of the informal poll on this website, I think. Not that anybody is going to follow that.

Thread Information