Widgets Magazine
Page 47 of 141 FirstFirst ... 424344454647484950515297 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 3525

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Channel 9 news reported OK4Health thinks it got enough signatures. Joe Dorman said the flood of signatures that came in today outside the state capitol may be enough to push it through. I brought 11 pages of them, or around 100 signatures per petition. The signature count and validation begins on Monday, August 15th, and is expected to take from 10 days to 2 weeks to verify.

Thursday, during the busy activity of getting the final petitions together at the capitol, an additional table was set up for this Ardmore man to get his stack of petitions signed and notarized:

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Channel 9 news reported OK4Health thinks it got enough signatures. Joe Dorman said the flood of signatures that came in today outside the state capitol may be enough to push it through. I brought 11 pages of them, or around 100 signatures per petition. The signature count and validation begins on Monday, August 15th, and is expected to take from 10 days to 2 weeks to verify.

Thursday, during the busy activity of getting the final petitions together at the capitol, an additional table was set up for this Ardmore man to get his stack of petitions signed and notarized:

Any word on the official number yet? Surely they have a number by now. I know it can take time to verify but they should have a number.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Any word on the official number yet? Surely they have a number by now. I know it can take time to verify but they should have a number.
    No, other than Joe Dorman saying on Facebook late Monday, "Got word that the count by the office of the Secretary of State proceeded well on SQ 787 today (initiative petition reform). Hoping both petitions move through the process in a timely manner!"

To get an idea of the outcome sooner, I hope SOS reveals the count of the 787 petition as soon as it's available and not wait until 788 is counted as well, the med mj petition. I'm concerned over whether 787 gets enough signatures, because I didn't get quite as many for that. Sometimes people seemed in too big of a hurry to bring up signing 787.

Joe Dorman's photo snapped on Tuesday, while observing the counting on the petition for SQ 787. Shown are two of six counters. I'd sooner no final total on 787 be known before Friday. The longer it takes to count, the more likely there was enough.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Let's hope this gets on the ballot--so that the people can vote.

I hope everyone who signed the petition gets out and votes in November!

It'll all be for naught if no one shows up to the polls and the old folks have their say...

Oklahomans For Health said this evening counters have finished SQ787. No report of any count total. I'm concerned they might have finished up too soon, indicating not enough signatures.

Oklahomans For Health said this evening counters have finished SQ787. No report of any count total. I'm concerned they might have finished up too soon, indicating not enough signatures.
    If SQ787 passes that should be excellent news for SQ788 but if it comes up short there's still hope for SQ788. I never seen nor was 787 even mentioned when I signed.

Per Joe Dorman:

State Question 787 got 59,981 signatures. It fell short of the required 65,987 for qualification.

The good news is SQ 788 (medical marijuana) was collecting about 10% more, so that means it will be a very close count next week!

Channel 4 today reported that the results for SQ787 were the results for the Medical marijuana petition. great fact checking

Blog Entries

The state questions need more time to collect signatures. It's a shame that 787 didn't collect enough signatures. Oklahoma voters are so ill-inform about many of the state questions that do get on the ballot.

Just to tell you how ill-informed some Oklahoma voters were when we passed 'right-to-work' in 2001; recall a white colleague telling me (sympathetically) that he thought the everybody should have the right to work--as if that were a black or minority thing (LMAO).

After living in two recreational marijuana states in the past year, I no longer support recreational use and only endorse very limited medical use.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    After living in two recreational marijuana states in the past year, I no longer support recreational use and only endorse very limited medical use.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why?
    Unless they are in a very professional or DOT regulated position, it seems everyone everywhere is always stoned out of their mind. You go to the grocery store and the cashier has red eyes, reeks of marijuana, and seems to be in a world of their own. In Portland you could hardly get on the MAX without your clothes being drenched in marijuana smell after a very short ride-- very embarrassing when you are on your way to work (and can get drug tested and suspended until results are back just based on odor of MJ). It's better off to be illegal but decriminalized, that way at least people don't light up in public, at work, and while driving.

It's also incredibly expensive for companies, here at my company (and many other DOT regulated jobs) we routinely lose 40% of new hires in Denver due to failed drug tests within 2 months of employment. This costs the company serious money as we are paying for the drug tests themselves, as well as the drug tests of their replacements, and for the first few weeks of the job for training and background checks and airport related tests -- all that do not add to productivity but are a direct cost with no return.

I bet the company spends about $1500 for each employee to go through all the required tests, fingerprints, background checks, and security clearances-- we hire 40-60 a month, and we lose almost half of those very soon after starting just due to failed drug tests for marijuana. That is serious money...

Not to mention the safety aspect of it. Nothing angers me more than someone potentially killing me or someone else at work with heavy equipment because they were smoking marijuana.

People clean up for two weeks to pass the initial drug test, then they are straight back on the dope and fail the checkup a month or two down the road. It's absolutely out of control.

So maybe a lot of Oklahomans acted drunk for a few years after alcohol was legalized in 1959.

My employer warned everybody they would be subject to getting fired over alcohol after someone came to work smelling like alcohol. Nobody tests for alcohol. If anybody comes to work acting high they should be sternly warned or fired on the spot. Alcohol can be used responsibly without getting fired over it. It sounds like some people in Colorado need to apply the same principle toward pot.

So the Governor signed 5 ballot proclamations today ahead of the Friday deadline. Hmmmm. No mention of 788 yet. Will it still be added if it is certified before Friday? I would hope so!
    http://m.news9.com/Story.aspx?story=...6&catId=112032

One of them seems to be aimed towards getting the 10 commandments monument back up. Jesus f#cking christ. Oklahoma is just a state that won't give up on pursuing bullsh!t.

Blog Entries

Temporarily

Take a toke & don't choke...

Religious symbols are historically symbolic; however, there's no place on government property for the 10 commandments.

People who believe strongly in the 10 commandments won't be harmed by the physical absence of tablets on State Capitol grounds. If you allow the ten commandment monument; then where does it stop; do we allow a satanic group to erect its own monument, buddha to be displayed or Our Lady of Perpetual Help.

http://kfor.com/2016/02/15/lawmakers...ahoma-capitol/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...homas-capitol/

But supporters of the Ten Commandments monument will tell you that the U. S. Supreme court ruled that government also has free speech rights, and so has the right to decide what religious monuments it allows on government property. To quote from Wiki on the case:

"On February 25, 2009, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously against Summum in the Pleasant Grove case. Justice Samuel Alito, in his opinion for the court, explained that a municipality's acceptance and acquisition of a privately funded permanent monument erected in a public park while refusing to accept other privately funded permanent memorials is a valid expression of governmental speech, which is permissible and not an unconstitutional interference with the First Amendment's guarantee of free speech. According to Alito, "the display of a permanent monument in a public park" is perceived by an ordinary and reasonable observer to be an expression of values and ideas of the government, the owner of the park and the monument, even though the particular idea expressed by the monument is left to the interpretation of the individual observer."

Quote Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
    So the Governor signed 5 ballot proclamations today ahead of the Friday deadline. Hmmmm. No mention of 788 yet. Will it still be added if it is certified before Friday? I would hope so!
    http://m.news9.com/Story.aspx?story=...6&catId=112032
    Surely, the governor isn't through with proclaiming ballot questions. Interesting how what is missing is the question to put capital punishment in the state constitution and the one for the Right to Farm Act or SQ 777. I've already seen several road side signs saying to vote YES for right to farm. However, does anyone know if there are lawsuits holding up those two questions? If they stay off the ballot, I don't mind, since I was going to vote NO on them.

I don't know how late it can go before it's too late to put questions on the November ballot. I complained that OK4Health should have started its petitions a month or two sooner to have less heat to put up with, to get the college crowd, while having more time to get over any delays to get on the ballot. But was told they were afraid of the spring time rains and that there is never a good month to do a petition in Oklahoma. Blah.

But supporters of the Ten Commandments monument will tell you that the U. S. Supreme court ruled that government also has free speech rights, and so has the right to decide what religious monuments it allows on government property. To quote from Wiki on the case:

"On February 25, 2009, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously against Summum in the Pleasant Grove case. Justice Samuel Alito, in his opinion for the court, explained that a municipality's acceptance and acquisition of a privately funded permanent monument erected in a public park while refusing to accept other privately funded permanent memorials is a valid expression of governmental speech, which is permissible and not an unconstitutional interference with the First Amendment's guarantee of free speech. According to Alito, "the display of a permanent monument in a public park" is perceived by an ordinary and reasonable observer to be an expression of values and ideas of the government, the owner of the park and the monument, even though the particular idea expressed by the monument is left to the interpretation of the individual observer."
    I think most if not all public facilities and grounds should try and be a neutral as possible.

The 10 commandments is the oddest Pissing match ever. so tired of it.
    hoping we hear something soon on SQ 788 and that it makes the Ballot. we shall see.

Surely, the governor isn't through with proclaiming ballot questions. Interesting how what is missing is the question to put capital punishment in the state constitution and the one for the Right to Farm Act or SQ 777. I've already seen several road side signs saying to vote YES for right to farm. However, does anyone know if there are lawsuits holding up those two questions?
    To clarify matters, after research, the above two questions brought up will actually be on the ballot. They weren't mentioned in the story about the governor's proclamation for five other state questions, because they had already been cleared for placement on the ballot in Nov.

Finally, an important piece of this drama ends positively:

State officials: Enough signatures collected for medical marijuana petition to move forward

http://kfor.com/2016/08/23/state-off...-move-forward/

Thread Information