Widgets Magazine
Page 46 of 106 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505196 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2632

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

1. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    Josh, thank you for your reply and for engaging here. I hope the airport moves valet up the list. I would have used it before but not consistently; now I would consider it a priority. I don't doubt that a bus driver would help me with luggage, but there are issues with that. If I am going on vacation with a baby (or potentially multiple children in a few years) I likely will have 2+ large checked bags, carryons, maybe a carseat, and a stroller. If I'm even at the parking lot I'm only there because the garage is full, and anyone else on the bus is potentially in the same boat (and running behind schedule because the garage is full), and they're irritated because it's taking so long to get everything loaded. And then we have to stop at other lots because every bus stops at every lot (why can't each bus have a dedicated lot for efficiency?). Then we have to do it all over again when getting dropped off. And I'll wait for everyone else, further delaying me, because I have so much. If I could guarantee a spot in the garage it would be an improvement, but not much (how do you get all that stuff to the terminal by yourself if you've dropped the wife and kids off?). Perhaps the only solution that can be offered at OKC currently is drop my wife off with all the luggage and let her get a cart for it all. Then I take the car with child and park it, and we come and meet in the terminal. Not super chivalrous.
    When it's all put this way, I think it is easy for anyone to see the benefits of a valet service. This gave me more anxiety than when I have traveled with my kids... domestically and internationally. I appreciate your comments and requests.

2. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    What is the status of reserved parking? Love the parking spot indicator lights in the garage.
    Reserved parking is still based on finding a solution for sealing up the upper deck of Garage A. It has been our problem child and we are still evaluating, trying to find the best strategy to get it dry in there for premium and reserved customers.

3. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by stjohn View Post
    Was wondering this too. Covered garage has been full or "no covered spots" each time I've flown the last couple of months.
    The construction closures for the new space indicator lights and level counting system has forced the garage to be closed frequently. Those who get turned away, try to quickly get over to the canopy lot. Sorry about the inconvenience guys, but the crew is staying on schedule right now and they can't do the work over the top of private vehicles. It is a liability for them.

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful that you guys reach out this way.

5. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    That's great news Josh. Thanks for the update. Would be cool if the city could get some kind of scheduled international service lined up for the expansion opening, even if it was a 1-weekly flight to Cancun or Cozumel or something.
    The leisure traffic is there to make that happen, especially to Cancun and Cozumel. We have continued to reach out to CBP to keep them aware of our interest in having international service here. But we know that building a shell for them, or even if we were to finish it out to their specs, doesn't guarantee that they will staff it. More preclearance destinations would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Ryan View Post
    The leisure traffic is there to make that happen, especially to Cancun and Cozumel. We have continued to reach out to CBP to keep them aware of our interest in having international service here. But we know that building a shell for them, or even if we were to finish it out to their specs, doesn't guarantee that they will staff it. More preclearance destinations would be nice.
    Could the city reimburse the CBP for the overtime involved to staff it for a once a week flight? Would be a tiny dent to the airport's budget, yet would be a good benefit for the citizens.

7. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Could the city reimburse the CBP for the overtime involved to staff it for a once a week flight? Would be a tiny dent to the airport's budget, yet would be a good benefit for the citizens.
    Overtime is not the issue. Their explanation to us has been manpower and logistics.

Blog Entries

IMO saying demand isn't there for valet service (and I'm not even a prospective user any more, my kids are grown) so lets not do it is like saying well no one is using all these handicap spots so let's get rid of them. If you approach valet service like another accommodation mechanism instead of as a profit engine, which I doubt it could ever be, then I think it becomes easier to justify.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    IMO saying demand isn't there for valet service (and I'm not even a prospective user any more, my kids are grown) so lets not do it is like saying well no one is using all these handicap spots so let's get rid of them. If you approach valet service like another accommodation mechanism instead of as a profit engine, which I doubt it could ever be, then I think it becomes easier to justify.
    So, are you saying valet parking should be a subsidized service?

If public surveys show that Valet Service is on the bottom of the wish list, then that seems like s pretty good indicator that demand isn’t there.

I think it's a simple matter of resources. If a survey is done, and only 3% say yeah, I would use valet, then it isn't going to happen no matter how great it would be for that 3%.

But to address the subsidized service question...that's a really great question. For that 3%, what is valet parking worth? $5? $10? $25? $100?

It reminds me of the electric car charger at the workplace idea. Everyone with an electric car thinks it's a really great idea to have charging stations at work. Until you ask them how they intend to pay for the electricity, then hands go in pockets and the nonchalant whistling starts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, are you saying valet parking should be a subsidized service?
    Maybe. If implemented. I'm not necessarily pushing to implement as much as I'm pushing to change mindset about it.

Also, I suspect there's a bit of an "induced demand" scenario. If there WERE valet service, and people knew that, I suspect the numbers would end up being greater than 3%. I mean, maybe not 20%, but not 3%. If we just went off surveys I suspect there would be a number of things we might not have currently.

Hey Josh just a flyer here but have you guys reached out to American Express about a studio centurion lounge? I know they recently stated they were going to do some smaller studio lounges. It's a long shot but would be cool.

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/07/cen...tudio-seattle/

14. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Maybe. If implemented. I'm not necessarily pushing to implement as much as I'm pushing to change mindset about it.

Also, I suspect there's a bit of an "induced demand" scenario. If there WERE valet service, and people knew that, I suspect the numbers would end up being greater than 3%. I mean, maybe not 20%, but not 3%. If we just went off surveys I suspect there would be a number of things we might not have currently.
    I agree with this. If asked in a survey if I would bring my own snacks for the plane or buy an overpriced snack at an airport vendor I would say I'll bring my own. But there I am, nine out of ten times, at one of the shops at the airport buying an overpriced bag of almonds or cashews. Some of it is like an impulse buy, when driving up to to the airport on Meridian, you see signs for valet, and you justify in your mind that it's only a few dollars more than the next most expensive option and more convenient. The people who would do this would be people who are running a little later than what they were planning, people who ran into some traffic on they way, people with a lot of luggage, people with kids, the elderly, upper middle class and wealthy who just don't mind spending extra on travel conveniences, people who find the garage full but valet open, business people who can expense it. You could find yourself with all kinds of induced demand if valet is offered. People aren't thinking about valet when they fly out of OKC because it's never been offered so it's not likely to show up well on a survey.

Two interesting tidbits: (1) My wife and I have sort of made our own valet parking at the airport a couple times when the garage was full. We pulled into the hourly parking and went into the airport and left on our trip. Then her parents came later that day and got our car. Then on the day we got home they brought our car back to the hourly lot, which is where we picked it up from. These were instances of two week trips or the garage being full. (2) A couple of times I have had the mindset of driving to Mickey Mantle's in Bricktown for dinner on a Friday or Saturday night, thinking, I'm going to be parking several blocks away. And that's fine. But when I see valet parking, I just go ahead and go with valet parking. I make the choice before knowing the price. I can't even remember the price, or if there was a price and I just had to tip the valet. The point is that it was convenient so I used it, but I wasn't thinking about it on my way to the restaurant.

15. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Hey Josh just a flyer here but have you guys reached out to American Express about a studio centurion lounge? I know they recently stated they were going to do some smaller studio lounges. It's a long shot but would be cool.

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/07/cen...tudio-seattle/
    What has been discussed is possibly a shared use lounge concept, something similar to the model that COS uses: https://www.flycos.com/airport-premi...-grand-opening
    It is not a definite thing, but when we have some space opened by our new terminal expansion, a shared use lounge is a possibility.

I missed it but Hobby Lobby has built (is building?) a corporate hangar on Air Cargo Rd. directly across from the airport hotel.

And, FedEx is building some sort of a ground distribution center on Portland Ave where the old Hagar building was recently demolished.

17. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Makes sense, HQ is just around the corner so its a hop, skip, and a jump to their new corporate jet hanger. A little dissapointed as this could have been one of the anchors for the new development....

Any updates on terminal / gate expansion?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo1 View Post
    Any updates on terminal / gate expansion?
    Answered less than 20 posts ago....

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...99#post1008799

20. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Josh, I don't know if this is under WRWA authority or not but I am always really nervous taking the exits on to S54th or driving past the exits when I am on S54th. I have had some really close calls going EB when I am driving home from work (I work swing shift at MMAC) after midnight when those last flights have arrived. People tend not to yield coming onto 54th. Is there something that can be done to reshape or elongate the exits or is this a city issue?

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    Josh, I don't know if this is under WRWA authority or not but I am always really nervous taking the exits on to S54th or driving past the exits when I am on S54th. I have had some really close calls going EB when I am driving home from work (I work swing shift at MMAC) after midnight when those last flights have arrived. People tend not to yield coming onto 54th. Is there something that can be done to reshape or elongate the exits or is this a city issue?

Agree, definitely need their own merge lane for 200-300 feet.

22. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Agree, definitely need their own merge lane for 200-300 feet.
    +1 on that. It's really a dangerous merge area no matter what time of day. Some better lighting would probably help too, and grading that dirt that blocks the ramp-taker's view so they can actually see the traffic on 54th before they're right on top of it.

23. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    Sorry it took so long to get an answer for you. The project was City managed and there are no changes in the works currently. I discussed this with Mark and he had me call Stuart Chai with City's Public Works Traffic Management division. We have requested a review of the two on-ramps, including line of sight issues, if the yield signs are properly placed and if additional yield signs can be added to remind the drivers of their responsibilities there.

24. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Ryan View Post
    Sorry it took so long to get an answer for you. The project was City managed and there are no changes in the works currently. I discussed this with Mark and he had me call Stuart Chai with City's Public Works Traffic Management division. We have requested a review of the two on-ramps, including line of sight issues, if the yield signs are properly placed and if additional yield signs can be added to remind the drivers of their responsibilities there.
    Thank you. Hopefully this gets looked at. Maybe making them a stop sign might help as well.

Looks like Frontier has leased Gate 12 and the ticket counter space just east of Delta. The lease is valid until July 2018 (!!!).

Also, I notice a new project on the books regarding an AAR Hangar expansion. Tried searching for info, but can't find anything online.

Thread Information