Widgets Magazine
Page 46 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2314

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    SB was bad this morning. Looks like they are going to shift those lanes over to the NB side past 63rd and then shift them back right before the bridge. It was bad because they are in the process of demolishing the concrete divider.

Interesting sequencing of construction. They will probably have both sides of the road done before they get even one of the bridges done. The rebar for the overpasses started going up too.
    Summer/mornings are usually best traffic conditions of the year with school out and workers on vacations. Imagine its gonna get bad in late Aug once school is back in. I check traffic apps every morning and it paid off today as I saw 235 S backed up or very slow all the way to Hefner. Took an alt route and it was fine just have to deal with lights and slowkeypokes.

And wow the cops were out for $$$ this morning. Bike cops, car cops and SUV cops they were all building coffers this morning! Luckily I always scan my mirrors I got on 235 south of construction. Between 36th and 23rd I could see a bike cop about half a mile back coming same way. Was in middle lane and pacing around 64-65 but some poor sap was in passing lane going at least 70 and got nailed. Had I not been observant that mighta been me forking out “extra tax” to OKC lol.

2. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

the cops were out here in the Seattle area also. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

EVERY single afternoon for the past week or so, 235-Northbound traffic is bottlenecked over the bridge. It is really causing traffic to back up on 235. I am there pretty early - around 4pm everyday. Unfortunately, I really do not have alternative besides taking side streets.

Quote Originally Posted by djohn View Post
    EVERY single afternoon for the past week or so, 235-Northbound traffic is bottlenecked over the bridge. It is really causing traffic to back up on 235. I am there pretty early - around 4pm everyday. Unfortunately, I really do not have alternative besides taking side streets.
    When did you start this commute? It has been like this @ rush hours for at least a decade.

….about 15 years ago. It hasn't been this bad during the early-rush hour until recently. It would be hit or miss at 4pm, but not EVERY single day.

….about 15 years ago. It hasn't been this bad during the early-rush hour until recently. It would be hit or miss at 4pm, but not EVERY single day.
    I've noticed the same thing this week. It's probably just the increased activity at the interchange. Like you, my past experience has been that it didn't get *that* backed up until closer to 5:00 unless there was a wreck or something.

If coming from south and its jacked up get off at 10th go east to Lincoln and take to 44w and back on 235n there. You have lights but its consistent so it just depends on how bad 235 is backed up if its worth the detour.

If you have never taken this way do it once just to practice so you know the difference

Many people naturally slow down when they have barriers in place where a little bit of shoulder room once was. Though the lane width hasn't changed, there are now no shoulders at all and walls that guide us through the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Many people naturally slow down when they have barriers in place where a little bit of shoulder room once was. Though the lane width hasn't changed, there are now no shoulders at all and walls that guide us through the zone.
    Thats true. Plus workers are right there working just feet on other side. Prior work had workers further away.

Once drivers get a bit used to it flow will be slightly better but there is less merging room which creates panic to some drivers and then full stop due to indecision between drivers merging and already there.

1.5 more years and it will be over. And with luck they can finish earlier for some extra $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Thats true. Plus workers are right there working just feet on other side. Prior work had workers further away.

Once drivers get a bit used to it flow will be slightly better but there is less merging room which creates panic to some drivers and then full stop due to indecision between drivers merging and already there.

1.5 more years and it will be over. And with luck they can finish earlier for some extra $$$.
    It may get a little better after this week once their done fully diverting everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    It may get a little better after this week once their done fully diverting everything.
    The 63rd ramp should be reopened fully later this month I think? They had to put in a large drain or something so thats why only one lane exit plus it took merging room away I think.

And familiarity helps. However once school starts back up thats more drivers on roads so expect it to get bad again then.

They shifted southbound lanes to the original northbound (west) side and S goes under 63rd on East side of pillars. Stays side by side with Northbound (concrete divided) and then moves back to normal south lanes to cross 44. Flow seems better or same.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    They shifted southbound lanes to the original northbound (west) side and S goes under 63rd on East side of pillars. Stays side by side with Northbound (concrete divided) and then moves back to normal south lanes to cross 44. Flow seems better or same.
    It seemed significantly better.

Pete,

Do you plan on taking anymore updated drone pics of this area? I'd love to see how it currently looks!

From this morning (Sunday).

Right-click and open in a new window/tab for hi-res.

16. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Thank you! I use this segment regularly when in OKC. Its going to be a help to understand how work is going.

The piers for the flyover bridges are slowly coming along. I saw them lowering one of the rebar cages for a pier in the median of I-44 and it was huge. Not surprising since the northbound to westbound flyover bridge will be going up and over eastbound to northbound bridge.

It also looks like their about ready for concrete for southbound lanes north of the interchange.

Fantastic job Pete!! I know they have to be behind due to the weather so I was surprised hey weren't working yesterday as I passed through the interchange.

Looking at those aerial photos makes me think. I realize it's not possible or even practical, but if the whole area could be shut down for X amount of time, the project could probably be completed really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    Looking at those aerial photos makes me think. I realize it's not possible or even practical, but if the whole area could be shut down for X amount of time, the project could probably be completed really quickly.
    Hasn't exactly worked for the Boulevard, which is a much more straight-forward project.

Taking them years.

Yeah, It wouldn't get done any faster unless they added a lot more resources and worked day and night. The bottleneck in the process is the overpasses. It just takes time to bore out , form, and pour concrete for each of those piers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hasn't exactly worked for the Boulevard, which is a much more straight-forward project.

Taking them years.
    Especially when you take in to account how long it took them to build the new I40 crosstown stretch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    Right .... not practical and not possible. Would still take a year or so to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Taking them years.
    If you take only the construction time, how long? Not design and redesign, but merely from start of construction?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    If you take only the construction time, how long? Not design and redesign, but merely from start of construction?
    About a year and a half for the western segment. The bridge took the longest amount of time. Everything else you can tell wasn't a priority due to the bridge not even being done.

There is still some paver, streetlight, and landscaping work that needs to be done for the central segment, but to be fair a lot of that is tied to park construction.

Thread Information