Widgets Magazine
Page 46 of 86 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2146

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Blog Entries

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

I'm a little skeptic of Caleb Williams' reasons for entering the portal. Wouldn't be surprised if some major university has already contacted him and made him some kind of offer. Don't look for him to return--he's gone.

The portal IMO is bad for college football programs--allowing player movement; great for an individual to access his career going forward. As for the colleges who offered a scholarship, there needs to be some king of long term commitment.

I'm sure he's already received many major offers. I'd be surprised if OU matched some crazy high NIL deal just to keep him here. I'm fine with him leaving, to be honest.

I don't mind the portal or the NIL stuff. It's finally giving more power to the players, which is a good thing. Maybe it's out of hand, but there's nothing to keep a coach from leaving a school early, why should it be different for players? A coach can gut a program's staff and team, and nobody bats an eye. Suddenly now that players can do the same thing, a bunch of old men are upset they're no longer the sole arbiters of control over a young athlete's future.

^

It reminds me a great deal of how the music industry operated for decades.

There were a handful of record companies, all run by very rich older guys, that not only had complete control of who received a record deal but also how much they were promoted. Because of this unassailable power, they coerced the artists into signing long-term deals for peanuts just to have a shot at being heard. I actually worked for a forerunner of Sirius/XM and the CEO and many of the upper management all came from one of those big record labels and they were some of the most corrupt and immoral people I've ever come across; several of them had been in jail.

Courtney Love of all people was the one that led the legal charge for this to change simply because it was incredibly unfair, and then of course the internet completely turned the old model on its head.

I see so many similarities to college sports and just like when those in power swore all the changes would ruin the music industry, after some adjustment things only became much better in that the massive wealth was more equitably shared.

That's a good comparison. The people at the top, historically, haven't liked it much when the people at the bottom gain power.

College football will be fine. There's plenty of money to go around. Now if they'd only expand the playoff...

When you have head coaches making $10 million a year with huge guaranteed buyouts and assistants being paid millions... And TV and ticket proceeds are in the many billions and the people actually doing the real work can barely get by, then something is very wrong.

Up until recently, the money involved was nowhere close to this scale. But coaches and athletic directors are now paid on a similar level to the NFL where the average player makes almost $1 million per year.

There are going to be a lot of bumps along the way, but what we have now is progress in terms of fairness. It wasn't that long ago that American Olympians couldn't make any money either. That change hasn't exactly ruined the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    This means "which school will get me paid". This is the new NIL world we're living in. Outside of earning potential, there's no logical reason for Caleb to leave OU. I'm irritated he entered the portal, but OU should be fine even if he leaves. It's Oklahoma football, it's not dependent on one player. I hope he stays, but it won't be the end of the world if he does. Plenty of kids would die for a shot to be the starting QB at Oklahoma. Caleb clearly isn't one of them.
    I find it super annoying how hypocritical college football fans are. If OU snags a transfer or coach from another school, no one expresses ethical concerns or questions their motives. Just check this thread, where are the complaints that OU should turn away transfers from other schools?

However, when a student-athlete like Williams looks at other schools after being abandoned by the coach who recruited him, he gets criticized. Pure hypocrisy. It's especially gross considering all indications are that Williams is an honest and mature kid who is seeking to make the best decision for him. The idea that he's only leaving for money, and not situation, is just OU fans' insecurity showing through. Caleb Williams has handled every step of this process well, including playing in OU's bowl game when he didn't have to. He absolutely kept OU from being embarrassed and having to start a walk-on QB.

And, to those saying Williams wasn't good, lol. He was the best freshman QB in the country. He had a 21-4 TD/INT ratio as a true freshman. He is widely considered the most talented QB in college football for good reason.

I wish nothing but the best for Caleb Williams and trust that he and his family are the best ones to determine what that is. OU would be fortunate for him to return.

7. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

^^^^^^^^^
    All of this. Anyone thinking he's not still perhaps the most promising QB in the country is delusional. He was a freshman this year, and his bumps in the road occurred when the head coach (and "quarterback whisperer") who recruited him seems to have already had one foot out the door. His coach also seemed to spend a ton of energy on publicly not buying into his own QB. Maybe that was simply coaching and trying to keep his frosh QB from getting an inflated ego, but maybe it was something else. Who knows.

I do know I'd like to see him stick. But I also understand this is today's new reality, and I don't begrudge him his chance to do the best thing for himself. He doesn't have to prove to me that he is a team guy; he already did that several times this season, as far as I'm concerned. The question is whether OU is still the right situation for him after monumental changes that he didn't sign up for. I hope it is. But if it's not, thank you for your time here, and let's move on with life. The future for OU football is still extremely bright no matter which choice he makes.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    However, when a student-athlete like Williams looks at other schools after being abandoned by the coach who recruited him, he gets criticized. Pure hypocrisy. It's especially gross considering all indications are that Williams is an honest and mature kid who is seeking to make the best decision for him. The idea that he's only leaving for money, and not situation, is just OU fans' insecurity showing through. Caleb Williams has handled every step of this process well, including playing in OU's bowl game when he didn't have to.
    This is wildly naive. It's an NIL play - his dad was telling people during his recruitment that they were worth 150 million and several people have reported his dad is not living in reality with his NIL asks as part of his "re-recruitment".

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    This is wildly naive. It's an NIL play - his dad was telling people during his recruitment that they were worth 150 million and several people have reported his dad is not living in reality with his NIL asks as part of his "re-recruitment".
    I am not sure what you’re saying is naive from my post. I have absolutely zero problem with him pursuing NIL money if he so chooses. Having said that, please provide (a) credible sources to back up your claim and (b) your outrage at any student-athlete for any OU student-athlete from this season and into the future that secures an NIL deal. Can you point me to your post condemning Spencer Rattler for his NIL deals last year? I didn’t think so.

If it is purely an NIL play, what’s wrong with leaving for more money? Seems like a perfectly reasonable reason to leave.

11. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

I find it super annoying how hypocritical college football fans are. If OU snags a transfer or coach from another school, no one expresses ethical concerns or questions their motives. Just check this thread, where are the complaints that OU should turn away transfers from other schools?

However, when a student-athlete like Williams looks at other schools after being abandoned by the coach who recruited him, he gets criticized. Pure hypocrisy. It's especially gross considering all indications are that Williams is an honest and mature kid who is seeking to make the best decision for him. The idea that he's only leaving for money, and not situation, is just OU fans' insecurity showing through. Caleb Williams has handled every step of this process well, including playing in OU's bowl game when he didn't have to. He absolutely kept OU from being embarrassed and having to start a walk-on QB.

And, to those saying Williams wasn't good, lol. He was the best freshman QB in the country. He had a 21-4 TD/INT ratio as a true freshman. He is widely considered the most talented QB in college football for good reason.

I wish nothing but the best for Caleb Williams and trust that he and his family are the best ones to determine what that is. OU would be fortunate for him to return.
    ^^^^

I don't like the current college environment where one player can make a fortunebut others, not a penny, but it is what it is. I don't blame CW for looking elsewhere and he couldn't have addressed it in a better way, playing in the bowl, then clearly outlining his reasons. Who knows, he may be back?

The Coach Whose Name Shall Not Be Uttered By Me, flew a contract, flew the bowl, flew the school, flew the state, flew his recruits, but most of all, flew Bob Stoops who literally handed the job to him. He intentionally mislead everyone and so many of the players appear quite angry with him. It's hard to imagine the millions he was getting paid simply weren't enough.

I can't wait for 3-4 years from now when TCWNSNBUBM tells the USC fans because of rumors he's been talking to other schools, "l will not be coaching at another college next year!" <wink, wink>

Imagine being TCWNSNBUBM and being totally outclassed by a 20 year old who did it right.

Not sure which part of my post has you annoyed. I never said I had a problem with the portal. I've said multiple times I'm glad the players have more power. I also said Caleb isn't a kid that would die to play at Oklahoma. A kid that's dying to play at Oklahoma wouldn't enter the transfer portal when he's already the starting QB at Oklahoma.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to come back. I'm just saying OU will be fine if he doesn't.

Don't kid yourself, though. This is a campaign to get paid. And I have no problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    If it is purely an NIL play, what’s wrong with leaving for more money? Seems like a perfectly reasonable reason to leave.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^
    All of this. Anyone thinking he's not still perhaps the most promising QB in the country is delusional. He was a freshman this year, and his bumps in the road occurred when the head coach (and "quarterback whisperer") who recruited him seems to have already had one foot out the door. His coach also seemed to spend a ton of energy on publicly not buying into his own QB. Maybe that was simply coaching and trying to keep his frosh QB from getting an inflated ego, but maybe it was something else. Who knows.

I do know I'd like to see him stick. But I also understand this is today's new reality, and I don't begrudge him his chance to do the best thing for himself. He doesn't have to prove to me that he is a team guy; he already did that several times this season, as far as I'm concerned. The question is whether OU is still the right situation for him after monumental changes that he didn't sign up for. I hope it is. But if it's not, thank you for your time here, and let's move on with life. The future for OU football is still extremely bright no matter which choice he makes.
    Yep, promising is promising, though. Spencer Rattler was the end all be all of everything and look how he turned out.

I want CW back. I just wish he hadn't even felt the need to enter the portal. It speaks to me about his desire to be at OU, and nobody will ever care about that except me, and that's ok, too.

15. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    And something we'll just have to get used to.

Where are the Caleb Williams fans now? lol

17. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I bet you were the "Where are the KD fans now?" guy too. Everybody knows a guy like you.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    He's not gone yet, is he? We'll (Sooners fans) all be fans of whoever the starting QB is next year, whether or not it's Caleb.

I'm sure he's already received many major offers. I'd be surprised if OU matched some crazy high NIL deal just to keep him here. I'm fine with him leaving, to be honest.

I don't mind the portal or the NIL stuff. It's finally giving more power to the players, which is a good thing. Maybe it's out of hand, but there's nothing to keep a coach from leaving a school early, why should it be different for players? A coach can gut a program's staff and team, and nobody bats an eye. Suddenly now that players can do the same thing, a bunch of old men are upset they're no longer the sole arbiters of control over a young athlete's future.
    I think if you reinstated the rule that made transfers sit out their first year, but added a free redshirt (so they would still get their 4-5 years of eligibility), that would probably balance things out. It's just a little ridiculous that an athlete can up and leave on whim with no penalty after they've committed to a school and the school has committed to them. Definitely don't think they should lose a year of eligibility but I think not being able to play immediately would at least make people think a little harder about it and it would discourage immediate high-dollar NIL deals that are being used to incentivize transferring. That and limit a coaches' ability to take players from a former team when he takes another job. You could put some other limits on the NIL stuff, but that alone would go a long way.

Who's acting like we don't have ethical concerns or motives for our own transfers? Last time I checked the guys we have coming in aren't doing so for a massive wad of cash better for a better opportunity on the field. Why would fans be clamoring to turn away guys who either want more playing time or want a bigger stage? Previously guys like Baker, Kyler and Hurts transferred because they were passed over in one way or another at their previous schools and had a better opportunity here. It's not fan insecurity, but actual reports from those close to the program that are driving the feeling that NIL money is a major driving factor in this. Would it have happened if Riley hadn't left, probably not, but to act like that's not a primary driver at this point is both naïve and inaccurate based on what's been reported. It certainly isn't about a better on field opportunity, bigger stage, lack of exposure, lack of talented players, lack of coaches that can develop a QB into an NFL prospect, or OU's reputation of putting QBs in teh NFL. There isn't another destination in the country that is decidedly better for him development/football-wise so where he ends up going will be a pretty big indicator as to how important money was as a deciding factor. Completely understandable that it annoys fans, especially after what Riley did. That said, it's within the rules and he has every right to explore the market so power to him. It's just going to hurt his reputation here if he decides to return and he now has a very qualified QB to compete with for the starting job that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

I don't know that anyone is saying he wasn't good. He is a promising freshman with a very high ceiling, but he's definitely not widely considered "the most talented QB in college football" though definitely the most talented true freshman who's played taken a significant amount of snaps.

To be demanding the kind of money his family apparently is (and to have turned down what OU's NIL donors offered) is ridiculous. He was very good for about 3-4 games, played poorly in 3, and was decent in one of them. He isn't a Heisman finalist, national champion, or even conference champion. He was the only QB we've had since 2014 that lost Bedlam (we couldn't move the ball in the second half). He struggled at reading defenses and often struggled to complete passes in the flow of the offense (even when the pocket gave him 5-6 seconds worth of time), instead relying his ability to extend plays when they breakdown to get guys open. He struggled to complete the deep ball most of the season. Toward the end of the year, he struggled a lot with decisions in the zone read and often held the ball too long when he should've tucked it and taken off in passing situations. None of that is to say that he's a bad QB, just that he's a freshman and there are still a ton of unknowns. Given his very obviously high football IQ, another offseason in the system would likely improve most of the decision making issues (already looked a little better in the bowl game). But to act like he was the god of football, that he's irreplaceable, and that his departure (if it happens) will be the doom of OU football is a little ridiculous and so is paying him the over a million dollars that his family is apparently demanding at this point in his career (For reference, Alabama's QB that just won the Heisman, won the conference championship and will likely win the national championship is making about $1,000,000).

I'd rather Williams stay, but if he doesn't, OU will be fine at QB. Dillon Gabriel is fundamentally a better QB currently than Williams is (though his ceiling is much lower), knows Lebby's system and will likely be a better overall QB than Williams would be to start out next season. We'll still be the Big 12 favorite with him at QB.

I am not sure what you’re saying is naive from my post. I have absolutely zero problem with him pursuing NIL money if he so chooses. Having said that, please provide (a) credible sources to back up your claim and (b) your outrage at any student-athlete for any OU student-athlete from this season and into the future that secures an NIL deal. Can you point me to your post condemning Spencer Rattler for his NIL deals last year? I didn’t think so.
    The guys that run SoonerScoop as well as Gabe Ikard and Teddy Lehman have been reporting that NIL is a major driver in this. One of the two podcasts reported the $150 million number but I think that may have been an exaggeration. The SoonerScoop guys definitely mentioned that his family turned down what they'd heard was around $500k from OU's donors and $1 million from Georgia.

Yep, promising is promising, though. Spencer Rattler was the end all be all of everything and look how he turned out.

I want CW back. I just wish he hadn't even felt the need to enter the portal. It speaks to me about his desire to be at OU, and nobody will ever care about that except me, and that's ok, too.
    Plenty of people do care about that. It's hurting his reputation with the fanbase. That said, if he comes back, he'll be welcomed with open arms but if he wins the starting job and struggles, he'll probably be treated like Spencer Rattler since it's pretty much widely accepted that this is a money play. Rattler's endorsement deals and lack of play to back them up plus his attitude are what set everyone off. Fortunately it doesn't seem like Williams has the attitude or likability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I think if you reinstated the rule that made transfers sit out their first year, but added a free redshirt (so they would still get their 4-5 years of eligibility), that would probably balance things out. It's just a little ridiculous that an athlete can up and leave on whim with no penalty after they've committed to a school and the school has committed to them. Definitely don't think they should lose a year of eligibility but I think not being able to play immediately would at least make people think a little harder about it and it would discourage immediate high-dollar NIL deals that are being used to incentivize transferring. That and limit a coaches' ability to take players from a former team when he takes another job. You could put some other limits on the NIL stuff, but that alone would go a long way.
    Make the coaches sit out a year, too, if they want out of their contract.

Make the coaches sit out a year, too, if they want out of their contract.
    LOL, that would be nice, but they do get penalized monetarily for leaving a job early (though obviously the new school often takes care of that).

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Who's acting like we don't have ethical concerns or motives for our own transfers? Last time I checked the guys we have coming in aren't doing so for a massive wad of cash better for a better opportunity on the field. Why would fans be clamoring to turn away guys who either want more playing time or want a bigger stage? Previously guys like Baker, Kyler and Hurts transferred because they were passed over in one way or another at their previous schools and had a better opportunity here. It's not fan insecurity, but actual reports from those close to the program that are driving the feeling that NIL money is a major driving factor in this. Would it have happened if Riley hadn't left, probably not, but to act like that's not a primary driver at this point is both naïve and inaccurate based on what's been reported. It certainly isn't about a better on field opportunity, bigger stage, lack of exposure, lack of talented players, lack of coaches that can develop a QB into an NFL prospect, or OU's reputation of putting QBs in teh NFL. There isn't another destination in the country that is decidedly better for him development/football-wise so where he ends up going will be a pretty big indicator as to how important money was as a deciding factor. Completely understandable that it annoys fans, especially after what Riley did. That said, it's within the rules and he has every right to explore the market so power to him. It's just going to hurt his reputation here if he decides to return and he now has a very qualified QB to compete with for the starting job that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

I don't know that anyone is saying he wasn't good. He is a promising freshman with a very high ceiling, but he's definitely not widely considered "the most talented QB in college football" though definitely the most talented true freshman who's played taken a significant amount of snaps.

To be demanding the kind of money his family apparently is (and to have turned down what OU's NIL donors offered) is ridiculous. He was very good for about 3-4 games, played poorly in 3, and was decent in one of them. He isn't a Heisman finalist, national champion, or even conference champion. He was the only QB we've had since 2014 that lost Bedlam (we couldn't move the ball in the second half). He struggled at reading defenses and often struggled to complete passes in the flow of the offense (even when the pocket gave him 5-6 seconds worth of time), instead relying his ability to extend plays when they breakdown to get guys open. He struggled to complete the deep ball most of the season. Toward the end of the year, he struggled a lot with decisions in the zone read and often held the ball too long when he should've tucked it and taken off in passing situations. None of that is to say that he's a bad QB, just that he's a freshman and there are still a ton of unknowns. Given his very obviously high football IQ, another offseason in the system would likely improve most of the decision making issues (already looked a little better in the bowl game). But to act like he was the god of football, that he's irreplaceable, and that his departure (if it happens) will be the doom of OU football is a little ridiculous and so is paying him the over a million dollars that his family is apparently demanding at this point in his career (For reference, Alabama's QB that just won the Heisman, won the conference championship and will likely win the national championship is making about $1,000,000).

I'd rather Williams stay, but if he doesn't, OU will be fine at QB. Dillon Gabriel is fundamentally a better QB currently than Williams is (though his ceiling is much lower), knows Lebby's system and will likely be a better overall QB than Williams would be to start out next season. We'll still be the Big 12 favorite with him at QB.
    Agreed.

Thread Information