Widgets Magazine
Page 46 of 141 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505196 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 3525

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    I wonder how many sigs OKC has compared to Tulsa? And why does it rest in OKCs hands now? Did Tulsa stop taking sigs or something? I assume they are hot spots in Tulsa also and I would think they are getting as many if not more than OKC is.

The teachers association was taking sigs earlier in the year and a guy was at Oncue signing one after another. Wonder why the maryjane folks aren't doing that? I assume the teachers were at other places like Walmart parking lots and such as well.
    The co-chairman of the group is from Tulsa, but has spent much time in recent weeks in OKC trying to get things better organized. Probably the most major thing that resulted was a truce with OKC police. Police will allow them to be camped at NW Expressway and N. Meridian 24 hours a day as long as they keep somebody at a table at all times taking signatures or registering people to vote. They're not getting paid, so there is some real hard core activism going on there.

Surely, the guy at Oncue was getting paid to take signatures along with the teachers for the penny sales tax for education. The deal was that if you netted so many signatures at $2 a signature, then you would get a raise to $5 a signature. Or was it $10 a signature for the top pay? If you get paid for such an easy job as taking signatures, it shouldn't be a surprise that plenty of people will come out of the woodwork to take advantage of it. It most certainly is easier and less sweaty work than mowing lawns. The med mj group doesn't seem to have the money to pay signature takers.

On the 16th, Saturday, they will put new emphasis on Tulsa for gathering more signatures. How much is done depends on how many volunteers are willing to come out that day. They finally began their Saturday road trips to some of the bigger small towns in Oklahoma. Their first stop was in Stillwater. In ten hours, they netted 265 signatures per petition and registered 65 new voters.

They estimate as of Saturday that they have 40,000 signatures. That's close to on track for 66,000 signatures, but not their goal of 86,000 to pad for thrown out signatures.

This effort, straight from the Oklahoma grass roots level, needs to succeed in getting on the ballot. If not, Oklahoma will have to wait for a corporate concern, likely from the mj industry, which has plenty of bucks to pay signature takers for a petition, which would inscribe in the Oklahoma State Constitution how the mj industry in Oklahoma is to be most profitably legalized and regulated. If Oklahoma voters would approve of such a proposition, is another matter to contend with.

Getting signatures on Saturday in Stillwater:

Thank for the updates Bunty!

I'm honestly surprised they only think they are at 40k. They seem to be at every major event & at tons of temporary locations.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Thank for the updates Bunty!

I'm honestly surprised they only think they are at 40k. They seem to be at every major event & at tons of temporary locations.
    Maybe they got what they needed since the tents are now gone. I seen just a single stand out there today. Or maybe those folks that were set up in tents moved to another local? Could be they had about all the heat they could take also. But the tents are officially gone as of now.

Maybe they got what they needed since the tents are now gone. I seen just a single stand out there today. Or maybe those folks that were set up in tents moved to another local? Could be they had about all the heat they could take also. But the tents are officially gone as of now.
    I saw the tent still being used this morning at NW Expressway and Meridian. I don't know if it's been moved since then.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5509869

A group known as Oklahomans for Health is taking petition signatures until Aug. 11 on the northeast corner of N Meridian Avenue and Northwest Expressway. They hope to gather 66,000 legible signatures from registered voters, said Frank Grove, a board member of the group who is volunteering to work at the tents the group calls “Fort Canna.”

No, the city changed its mind and decided their tents could no longer be allowed there during curfew hours of the park. So, the struggle continues. The campaign is mainly driven by compassion for the sick, who need medical marijuana. The drama now being played out through August 11th is will there be enough compassion to make up for not having money to pay signature takers?

They finally found funding and will pay for signatures, if it leads to getting on the ballot. How their Facebook announcement reads:

"Do you want legal medical marijuana in Oklahoma, and want to gather signatures, but are busy with bills and work? We are now paying $1 per pair of signatures, for all signatures submitted notarized by the deadline on Aug 11th at 5:00pm at the Capitol as long as we make the ballot. It's looking good, but we still need to push hard this last three weeks and knock it out of the park.

You can be a part of that and get reimbursed for your hard work. Learn more here at okforhealth.org/paid, sign up for signature sheets at okforhealth.org/volunteer, print them at a copy shop with the link okforhealth.org/print-at-home or just sign the petition at okforhealth.org/map.

If you need to pick up sheets in person in OKC we operate a permanent booth at NW Expressway and Meridian 10am-11pm. Let's do this Oklahoma."

Is there a way to get an estimated amount of signature that have been gathered? I believe they will need 65,987 valid signatures by August 11th to get the question on the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    They finally found funding and will pay for signatures, if it leads to getting on the ballot. How their Facebook announcement reads:

"Do you want legal medical marijuana in Oklahoma, and want to gather signatures, but are busy with bills and work? We are now paying $1 per pair of signatures, for all signatures submitted notarized by the deadline on Aug 11th at 5:00pm at the Capitol as long as we make the ballot. It's looking good, but we still need to push hard this last three weeks and knock it out of the park.

You can be a part of that and get reimbursed for your hard work. Learn more here at okforhealth.org/paid, sign up for signature sheets at okforhealth.org/volunteer, print them at a copy shop with the link okforhealth.org/print-at-home or just sign the petition at okforhealth.org/map.

If you need to pick up sheets in person in OKC we operate a permanent booth at NW Expressway and Meridian 10am-11pm. Let's do this Oklahoma."

If that funding would have been in place from the start they would have prob. had this wrapped up long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Is there a way to get an estimated amount of signature that have been gathered? I believe they will need 65,987 valid signatures by August 11th to get the question on the ballot.
    No, the group still won't release any figures. But I did hear from a lady, who is fairly close with the group and has been quite active getting signatures in OKC and for a couple of Saturdays in Stillwater, put it at 2/3 needed as of July 23rd. I know over 1200 signatures have been collected in Stillwater. Who knows how many more thousands and thousands have been collected in OKC and Tulsa?

On petitioner got arrested on the sidewalk outside the OKC VA today: http://www.reddirtreport.com/prairie...t-intimidation

To update, he was just detained for awhile while they ticketed him with trespassing. Exercising your constitutional rights on government owned property to petition the government, to me, should not be judged as trespassing.

On petitioner got arrested on the sidewalk outside the OKC VA today: http://www.reddirtreport.com/prairie...t-intimidation

To update, he was just detained for awhile while they ticketed him with trespassing. Exercising your constitutional rights on government owned property to petition the government, to me, should not be judged as trespassing.
    Looks like they are doing what they can to slow down signature gatherings here in the final days. I remember this problem with the petition drive from two years ago. At some of the places they were collecting, a cop was just sitting in his car nearby. Not patrolling or protecting and serving, just sitting there with the hopes of intimidating some out of stopping to sign the petition.

Seems pretty foolish for OKCPD to even get close to overstepping their bounds when you could figure a lawsuit could come right behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Looks like they are doing what they can to slow down signature gatherings here in the final days. I remember this problem with the petition drive from two years ago. At some of the places they were collecting, a cop was just sitting in his car nearby. Not patrolling or protecting and serving, just sitting there with the hopes of intimidating some out of stopping to sign the petition.

Seems pretty foolish for OKCPD to even get close to overstepping their bounds when you could figure a lawsuit could come right behind it.
    Yes you are correct. Corner of NW Expressway and Meridian cop car sitting there and people would pull in and turn right around and pull out. I didn't see them this year as I drive by that location just about every day. I think this is the last week for the collectors and I drove by this morning and didn't see any one at that location.

Yes you are correct. Corner of NW Expressway and Meridian cop car sitting there and people would pull in and turn right around and pull out. I didn't see them this year as I drive by that location just about every day. I think this is the last week for the collectors and I drove by this morning and didn't see any one at that location.
    That's the location where I signed the petition. I do recall a patrol car sitting there, but I didn't think it was related to the petition. It's really unfortunate if they are actively opposing by intimidation. I would hope that's a small percentage of the police officers doing it.

Hopefully, petitioners are stepping it up this weekend, because it's the last weekend and Joe Dorman said they're a few thousand short of signatures in KOCO video below. I've gotten 38 signatures, so far this weekend. Last chance to get in signatures will be Thursday, 1 to 5 pm, outside the state capitol.

http://www.koco.com/news/push-to-bri...t%20Type=Video

I saw collectors at the SW corner of Britton Road and N. May today. That's the first time I've seen them in that location.

There was one on Aug. 4.

Uh-oh. http://www.news9.com/story/32728822/...-on-nov-ballot
    After hearing for weeks that there were 55k signatures already, now they are reporting only 50k when 66k is needed? Crap.

And Joe Dorman is asking for 300 volunteers to each come up with 50 signatures within 24 hours. That means 15,000! The problem is there's simply a sad lack of volunteers even from a huge populated area as OKC. On Monday, I went to volunteer for about 4 1/2 hours at the NW Expressway and Meridian tent site. The three other volunteers there were like me. All were from out of town. Two were from Tulsa and the other one from Shawnee. I've gotten over 900 signatures, so there hasn't been a problem about me volunteering.

Whatever the outcome, lawsuits are likely to be filed. Sometimes police have harassed and intimated petitioners. One even got a $100 ticket for trespassing at the OKC VA.

And Joe Dorman is asking for 300 volunteers to each come up with 50 signatures within 24 hours. That means 15,000! The problem is there's simply a sad lack of volunteers even from a huge populated area as OKC. On Monday, I went to volunteer for about 4 1/2 hours at the NW Expressway and Meridian tent site. The three other volunteers there were like me. All were from out of town. Two were from Tulsa and the other one from Shawnee. I've gotten over 900 signatures, so there hasn't been a problem about me volunteering.

Whatever the outcome, lawsuits are likely to be filed. Sometimes police have harassed and intimated petitioners. One even got a $100 ticket for trespassing at the OKC VA.

I know a bunch of folks that won't sign because they are afraid to have their name attached in fear of police getting the list and putting them on some kind of hit list. Most people that see a police car sitting at a signing tent are going to just drive right on by. It's very intimidating. But this is Oklahoma we are speaking about and this is pretty much par for the course.

I don't know. I wonder if there has ever been anybody go down to the Oklahoma Secretary of State's office and gone through many thousands of names looking for certain individuals.

It's probably much riskier to have your name on a local city petition over a controversial issue. Then there may not be as many as 1000 names to go through and the list may be published or otherwise easily accessible. Then your boss might see your name and fire you.

DEA to make an announcement today:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dea...day-2016-08-10

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    DEA declines to loosen the restrictions.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/11/health...cal-marijuana/

I don't know. I wonder if there has ever been anybody go down to the Oklahoma Secretary of State's office and gone through many thousands of names looking for certain individuals.

It's probably much riskier to have your name on a local city petition over a controversial issue. Then there may not be as many as 1000 names to go through and the list may be published or otherwise easily accessible. Then your boss might see your name and fire you.
    This is a reason why a few people I know won't sign: they're afraid of perceived potential consequences/blowback. Basically, fear tactics and mental conditioning. No matter my explanations, pleas, etc. However, I will say I've been able to get multiple family/friends to sign after just bringing it to their attention. Me telling them that I signed gave them the "OK" to sign the petitions.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    DEA declines to loosen the restrictions.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/11/health...cal-marijuana/
    Too much money involved on every level.
    Tighten your foil here... But from top down, the CIA runs drugs and that helps feed usage and the global trade. In turn laws are in place against this and our PDs are given weapons amd armor of war that are justified in the WAR on drugs, etc. This in turn helps feed convictions and the private prison system, on top of fines and fees that also help feed municipalities to a small extent.

A giant circle of nonsensical crap that has truly only made society worse.

*loosens foil*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    A giant circle of nonsensical crap that has truly only made society worse.
    Just can't figure out how progressive Oklahoma's two largest metropolitan areas (OKC-TUL) has been since 1990 (Post first MAPS, Vision 2025); yet, the rest of the State continues to stay in the backwoods.

Thread Information