Widgets Magazine
Page 45 of 149 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495095145 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 3702

Thread: Scissortail Park

1. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Interesting observation from yesterday's MAPS 3 Park Meeting. Nearly all of the dilapidated buildings in "Hubcap Alley" on the west side of Robinson between the river and Skydance Bridge are proposed by Hargreaves for demolition as part of the south Central Park plan. Only one was proposed as being worthy of being saved as part of their evaluation.

Other notes, a urban farm is proposed, community gardens, a huge artificial turn lawn for soccer and wide area sports.
    An urban farm shouldn't cost $35 million...

I cut microgrants for that all the time.

Default Re: Central Park

I figured the west side would be cleared.. would love to see the east side ones develop into some cool places.. great character

I am not really a metal fan, but personally I always thought Hubcap Alley has the kind of character that would make a great metal district.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Interesting observation from yesterday's MAPS 3 Park Meeting. Nearly all of the dilapidated buildings in "Hubcap Alley" on the west side of Robinson between the river and Skydance Bridge are proposed by Hargreaves for demolition as part of the south Central Park plan. Only one was proposed as being worthy of being saved as part of their evaluation.

Other notes, a urban farm is proposed, community gardens, a huge artificial turn lawn for soccer and wide area sports.
    Here is William Crum's article and there are some very good ideas.

Soccer fields in MAPS 3 park could fill void, agency chief says | Oklahoman.com

A partnership with the Latino Community Development Agency could bring sports, outdoors and cultural activities into the 34-acre lower park starting the day it opens.

And the park could answer a persistent question for families in inner-south Oklahoma City, where youngsters often are home alone, said Raul Font, the agency's executive director.

"What do these kids do after school, what do they do on Saturday, what do they do in the summer?" he asked. The prospect of soccer fields and community gardens "revitalizes an area that needs some type of stimulation," Font said.
    A corner of the lower park, across SW 10 from the Latino Community Development Agency, east of Walker Avenue, would be anchored by youth soccer fields.

Synthetic playing surfaces and lights for nighttime matches would keep leagues humming.

Font said the fields would fill a void for elementary-age soccer players who lack the facilities available to kids once they hit junior high and high school.

Font is looking to develop a health and wellness campus at the Latino Community Development Agency along the lines of the Health Department's regional center in northeast Oklahoma City.
    All of this is vital in allowing the Latino community to assist in making this a vibrant urban park.

Those sound like excellent ideas.

I can't remember at the moment, is the lower park MAPS 3 funded?

It is not funded in MAPS 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    This is not correct. The lower park is maps 3 funded

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I shows in the plan. Are you saying the $132 million is for the upper section only?

Quick facts

Project budget: $132 million
    Construction: North section projected completion in 2018; South section projected completion in 2021.
    Size: 40-acre north section, 30-acre south section.
    Location: The north section of the park extends from the new Oklahoma City Boulevard south to Interstate 40, and from S Hudson Avenue east to S Robinson Avenue. The south section is bordered on the north by I-40, extending south to SW 10 between S Walker Avenue and Robinson, and to SW 15 between S Harvey Avenue and Robinson.

To sidestep here a bit - there was a blurb in todays DOK that states that through September 30, 2015, the MAPS3 collections were 6.1 percent above projections, seems like it was somewhere around 480 million, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    To sidestep here a bit - there was a blurb in todays DOK that states that through September 30, 2015, the MAPS3 collections were 6.1 percent above projections, seems like it was somewhere around 480 million, IIRC.
    Wow, that's great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    This is not correct. The lower park is maps 3 funded
    That's my understanding that MAPS III funded a 70 acre park. Add those soccer fields to the park, use whatever grant money the Latino Development Agency can secure.

Now, upon completion of Central Park will we need Wheeler Park, 1120 S Western Ave where they have added some non regulation soccer fields to replace several softball surfaces. Eggeling Stadium (softball) is located on the southwest end of the park near Western Avenue at S. W. 11th Street.

Blog Entries

IMO yes Wheeler still serves a valued function.

13. Default Re: Central Park

I'm pretty sure that the $132 Million was always for the park, not just one corner versus another. I even once saw figures broken up between the north an south halves. That said, I don't mind concentrating more if not all of the funding to the north of I-40 and pursuing other options for the south half. That could be a great way to forge partnerships that bring in the community, create immediate stakeholders for the park, and leverage more creative financing.

IMO Wheeler does not contribute. It's mostly sports fields today - that will be the South Park.

Now that the East Park site has been chosen for the convention center, that project will take almost all the property east of the park, west of Shields and from the boulevard to I-40.

For the last 3-5 years, there have been a few groups of investors assembling property on the west side of the park and my understanding is now that the convention center is settled and the park is about to begin construction, there are multiple projects planned for the West Park area, including some mid-rise.

There are also be a couple of for-sale residential projects queued up.

We should start to see plans coming forward for the entire West Park area in the near future and I don't think that area is going to take as long to develop as many had assumed.

That is great news and I look forward to seeing what starts popping up!

As long as it's good urban development, I'm all for it.

We do have a design district extended at least to the new I-40, yes? Ideally all the way to the River.

Yes, there is an existing design district all the way to the river:

Design District Boundaries - OKCTalk

I know one of the developers really wants Westpark to have a European feel, so I imagine development will meet JTF's urban design standards.

Residential overlooking the park is something I remember talking with Kerry about, too.

Wasn't there a law firm building with a somewhat disappointing site design announced for somewhere in the C2S area? Maybe a year or three back? If I'm remembering the details correctly, is that still in the cards?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Wasn't there a law firm building with a somewhat disappointing site design announced for somewhere in the C2S area? Maybe a year or three back? If I'm remembering the details correctly, is that still in the cards?
    I remember that but can't find the article.

I remember the design being very suburban with a large setback and surface parking, and a variance was granted for it. I remember remarking that it set a bad precedent for Core to Shore. Those defending the variance said that it was necessary to get the ball rolling on Core to Shore development.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I remember that but can't find the article.

I remember the design being very suburban with a large setback and surface parking, and a variance was granted for it. I remember remarking that it set a bad precedent for Core to Shore. Those defending the variance said that it was necessary to get the ball rolling on Core to Shore development.
    This is what you're referring to.

GPHG Law Offices - OKCTalk

Thanks, turns out it was even further south than I was thinking.

The City just purchased tons of trees and they have started to convert the one-way streets to the west of the park to two way, so they will likely start tearing up the roads that criss-cross the park soon.

As a reminder, the first phase will be to completely clear the land, lay sod, and plant trees, then the rest of the work on the upper park will follow.

Blog Entries

It's probably wishful thinking that Film Exchange demo not being featured prevalently here means it's not going to happen. Probably fits under "site prep", but I can dream, right?

Thread Information