Widgets Magazine
Page 45 of 488 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495095145 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 12187

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Tower

I don't even think this is disappointing. When I'm in a city, I evaluate how a tower looks, not how tall it is. If I like the architecture, I'm impressed with the building. It being all about feet reminds me that some people place too much emphasis on measurements, and not enough on the total package. It's an impressive building regardless, and will look quite a bit better in our skyline than what's currently occupying that space. We're not putting up the money for this building. If it were taxpayer dollars, then we might have more right to complain. Those who want a thousand foot building would be given permission to build one here, I'm quite sure, so perhaps they should put their money where their mouth is.

Blog Entries

It is obvious that the posters who are "disappointed" or think that Devon is "letting them down" have exactly NO experience in design and construction. The process is always fluid, sometimes well into the building construction. Design-build and design-assist always creates change. Designers are always making tweeks. I just finished working a 72 story building that was making design changes on top 10 floors even AFTER much of the equipment for those floors were ordered. To change and perfect a building is just smart.

Fortunately Devon's management understands building to needs, not to satisfy certain public's desire to whip it out and measure who's is bigger. Devon is smart, the designers are first class and truly world leading. This will be one of the top 25 towers in the world this decade and all some people want to measure it by is feet high. That is simplistic, juvenile and ignorant of how business and building design/construction works in the real world.

I am involved in worldwide construction and can tell you, this tower is getting notice and appreciation for OKC. It is better than most on here know.

3. Default Re: Devon Tower

I am involved in worldwide construction and can tell you, this tower is getting notice and appreciation for OKC. It is better than most on here know.
    I'd be interested if you would elaborate and be more specific about that, Rover. Probably, we all would like to hear such anecdotal information.

Quote Originally Posted by andimthomas View Post
    This might sound ungreatful and all, but I think they should just move their headquarters to Houston if they're just going to keep letting us down. You don't get the entire population excited for something that hasn't happened in awhile, then take it all back. I won't be surprised if they drop the height again before construction starts. Sooner or later- this building will just look the same as the rest of downtown OKC. Short and fat.
    Get real,

I can't believe so many are ****ting bricks because the building is changing...this is the first major PRIVATE investment in downtown OKC in decades. Even if its 500 or 450 thats still better than stagnant investment downtown.

And frankly anything over 700 feet in a city the size of OKC with the sprawl OKC has will be great. In addition 925 feet while impressive was going to make our skyline look awkward whether or not anyone chooses to admit it or not, its the truth. I hope they dont chop much more off because 800+ is still awesome, but really anything between 500 and 700 would probably fit better with the skyline given its current status.

If it is built and built at 850 feet it will be iconic and stand as the tallest in OKC and probably the state for 15 or 20 years or MORE.

Anyone saying Devon should move should promptly shoot themselves in the face. Devon is a great company with great employees that cares greatly about our state and its people. Also keep in mind the smaller this building is today the sooner they will outgrow it and may be forced to build a second tower of some sort downtown within 15 years if they go too small now. Everything has trade offs...925 ft or 850 feet it doesn't matter, its going to be iconic.

Blog Entries

As HVAC supplier to most of the largest and best contractors in the US (and worldwide), I see plans for most of the signature buildings in the US. This should be the most impressive one begun this year. Many contractors wanted this project and would love to have it on their project list. I attend contractors meetings where this project has been talked about so I know there is great awareness.

Pickard Chilton is known worldwide and considered a leading design firm. They are not yet what Skidmore Owens Merrill is, but they are getting closer to having that kind of reputation. Contractors want to work on those kinds of projects for those kind of design firms.

It is no accident that Pickard Chilton features the Devon project on their website even though it isn't yet constructed. They consider it a signature project. For OKC to have this project this year is like winning the architecture lottery. We shouldn't take it for granted.

Aside from the attention it is getting in the industry for its scope and style, it is one of the major projects now getting started. There aren't many in the WORLD right now, so this is a coup. Whether it is 50 or 54 floors doesn't matter. 1.8 million sq ft. is big by anyone's standards anywhere. I have worked on projects around the world, in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, Cairo, London, Berlin, Hong-Kong, Beijing, Paris, NY City, Las Vegas, LA, Seattle, etc., etc. This would be considered a signature piece in any of them and very large, to boot.

So when I say it is getting noticed, trust me, it is. We should be proud and happy and say thanks to Devon for committing to build such a damn fine building in our community.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    As HVAC supplier to most of the largest and best contractors in the US (and worldwide), I see plans for most of the signature buildings in the US. This should be the most impressive one begun this year. Many contractors wanted this project and would love to have it on their project list. I attend contractors meetings where this project has been talked about so I know there is great awareness.

Pickard Chilton is known worldwide and considered a leading design firm. They are not yet what Skidmore Owens Merrill is, but they are getting closer to having that kind of reputation. Contractors want to work on those kinds of projects for those kind of design firms.

It is no accident that Pickard Chilton features the Devon project on their website even though it isn't yet constructed. They consider it a signature project. For OKC to have this project this year is like winning the architecture lottery. We shouldn't take it for granted.

Aside from the attention it is getting in the industry for its scope and style, it is one of the major projects now getting started. There aren't many in the WORLD right now, so this is a coup. Whether it is 50 or 54 floors doesn't matter. 1.8 million sq ft. is big by anyone's standards anywhere. I have worked on projects around the world, in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, Cairo, London, Berlin, Hong-Kong, Beijing, Paris, NY City, Las Vegas, LA, Seattle, etc., etc. This would be considered a signature piece in any of them and very large, to boot.

So when I say it is getting noticed, trust me, it is. We should be proud and happy and say thanks to Devon for committing to build such a damn fine building in our community.
    AMEN!

Quote Originally Posted by architect5311 View Post
    Thank you for posting that

9. Default Re: Devon Tower

THE HORROR!!

That really -- literally -- puts things into perspective, doesn't it? Or at least it should...

It's still going to be awesome...............

As a lifelong Sooner fan, I can regrettably say that some of you on here remind me of the worst of our fans.

12. Default Re: Devon Tower

It's still going to be awesome...............

This viewing angle, roughly what you see coming down Harrison from the Health Sciences Center, has always been my favorite view of downtown. The tower really seems to be tailor-made for this angle. It nestles perfectly into the skyline, and doesn't look to be out of scale in the least.

MadMonk Guest

The only thing I don't care for is that it will be blocking my great view of the Myriad Gardens.

Other than that I'm pretty excited about it. I was thinking about setting up a camera to take two or three pictures per day of the contruction site. They would be very cool to look back on with my grandkids.

14. Default Re: Devon Tower

architect5311, what you've created clears the air quite a bit. I'd like to post it at OKC Central. Can I have permission to do so? Also, I'd love to credit you by name since you put the work into it (I don't have to, however).
    -Steve

15. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    If it were taxpayer dollars, then we might have more right to complain.
    Exactly. That's how some of you sound. Devon doesn't OWE us anything. We should be very thankful that they are still IN Oklahoma City, much less building a tower that is the envy of the region.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

16. Default Re: Devon Tower

Previously, I had shared my thoughts that the original height of the tower would make it stick out like being nearly twice the height of the Chase (old LIbery Bank) tower. Personally, I think the reduction in height will make it more aesthetically pleasing with the existing buildings. Way to go Devon! Thank you for the investment!

Blog Entries

Even with taxpayer money this would be incredible. Anyone complaining about this project design would be totally unrealistic and uninformed. That would be like someone giving you a Ferrari and complaining it wasn't a Lamborghini. Having 50 instead of 54 floors is like saying it is less because the Ferrari has a 6 CD change r vs. 8. Who the heck would possibly care. Complaining about that shows the complainer knows nothing about design or performance but is only looking for something to whine about.

18. Default Re: Devon Tower

Well said Rover.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

19. Default Re: Devon Tower

Here's what makes the criticism even more loony: argue all you want about why the four floors were trimmed. But good grief people, this company could have easily requested, and been granted, use of all of the tax increment financing spin-off from this project for buying the garage and expanding it and for its own immediate infrastructure and campus needs. Instead, Nichols asked for nothing for his company from the TIF, and instead asked to have the duration of the assessments extended and used for improving the Myriad Gardens and streets and parks throughout downtown. The loss of four floors is enough for some of you to get mad at Devon and suggest they should move to Houston? Really? Are you really saying that? I'd be curious why anyone on this board should take those of you with this stance seriously from here on out...

A couple knee-jerk comments don't warrant as much attention being given on this thread IMO.

BTW, isn't some of the TIF money going for the park Devon is incorporating into this complex?

21. Default Re: Devon Tower

Pete, you're right. As for the park, I'm going on memory but I don't think so. If it is, it's a fractional amount of the $115 million.

22. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Here's what makes the criticism even more loony: argue all you want about why the four floors were trimmed. But good grief people, this company could have easily requested, and been granted, use of all of the tax increment financing spin-off from this project for buying the garage and expanding it and for its own immediate infrastructure and campus needs. Instead, Nichols asked for nothing for his company from the TIF, and instead asked to have the duration of the assessments extended and used for improving the Myriad Gardens and streets and parks throughout downtown. The loss of four floors is enough for some of you to get mad at Devon and suggest they should move to Houston? Really? Are you really saying that? I'd be curious why anyone on this board should take those of you with this stance seriously from here on out...
    Steve, I think the one who was saying Devon should move to Houston was being facetious - subtly ridiculing the other couple who seemed serious. Still, there are those who won't believe the building will be built until it is built - - then they will be talking about how it will sit empty when the next energy bust comes along. They really don't deserve attention.

23. Default Re: Devon Tower

This is what I was responding to Pete and Mug:

Originally Posted by andimthomas
    This might sound ungreatful and all, but I think they should just move their headquarters to Houston if they're just going to keep letting us down. You don't get the entire population excited for something that hasn't happened in awhile, then take it all back. I won't be surprised if they drop the height again before construction starts. Sooner or later- this building will just look the same as the rest of downtown OKC. Short and fat.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thunder
    Now it is 850?! That's it. I don't want it anymore. The final height will be 300.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronronnie1
    WOW - I just read Steve's confirmation that the height has AGAIN been chopped down to 850 feet. Tomorrow it'll be 790 feet, and by Monday it'll be just twenty feet shy of Chase tower.

Ugh - I'm over it. I don't give a sh!t if they build it or not.

Thread Information