Widgets Magazine
Page 45 of 86 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2146

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Outhunder View Post
    Does Caleb stay?
    Sure hope he is. We have a bowl game in 3 weeks with no QBs behind him with game experience.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Bookie was extremely good at two things: 1) Performing major celebrations when a receiver he completely lost in coverage didn’t make a catch, as if he contributed and 2) Getting an unsportsmanlike penalty.

LR’s teams had no discipline and it really came to a head this year when you saw poor decision making in every single game. LR was also lauded for his recruiting, but almost none of his prized recruits panned out or contributed, so he seems incapable of properly developing them. Someone said on a podcast earlier this month that when our players got to the NFL over the last two years, many of them had to be taught how to play football.
    Agree with all of this.

Blog Entries

OU Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

My only concern with Lincoln Riley was the same as with a similar incident Thunder fans had with Kevin Durant. You knew you were considering other options that were on the table. You squashed the LSU bug; however you didn't reveal all you knew at the time. LeBron James who I despise because he's a good player, always was straight forward about where he was taking his talents.

Good Luck to you LR and your family in L.A. You will have the basic talent pool needed for success in California.

OU's success--as with any team rides on the shoulders of the defense. Our primary player pipeline has been Texas. We have a few key players we shouldn't overlook in our own state.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    My only concern with Lincoln Riley was the same as with a similar incident Thunder fans had with Kevin Durant. You knew you were considering other options that were on the table. You squashed the LSU bug; however you didn't reveal all you knew at the time. LeBron James who I despise because he's a good player, always was straight forward about where he was taking his talents.

Good Luck to you LR and your family in L.A. You will have the basic talent pool needed for success in California.

OU's success--as with any team rides on the shoulders of the defense. Our primary player pipeline has been Texas. We have a few key players we shouldn't overlook in our own state.
    One big difference was Riley was under contract, Durant wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    One big difference was Riley was under contract, Durant wasn't.
    I don’t think they compare. Durant exists under a collectively bargained union employment system. Riley had a contract that acknowledged the only leverage employer had was a financial buyout that could be paid in order to void the contract

STATEMENT FROM OU VICE PRESIDENT AND ATHLETICS DIRECTOR JOE CASTIGLIONE:

“We are fortunate to have an offensive coordinator like Jeff Lebby coming home to Oklahoma to join us on this journey. Like with all potential coaching staff, we vetted him from every angle, on and off the field. We understand why additional questions have been raised around his candidacy, which is why we did our due diligence, completed a thorough review and background check, and spoke to his previous employers throughout the process. The reports we received from Baylor, UCF and Ole Miss were consistent – they spoke highly of him as a person, his relationships within the programs as well as how he develops his players, his recruiting ability and, of course, his football acumen. At every turn throughout our review, we received assurance of the content of his character, his commitment to compliance and safety, and his desire to contribute to the development of winning programs in the manner we expect of all our staff. In speaking with Jeff, it is abundantly clear that he also knows and will embrace OU's expectations of him both on and off the field. We're glad to welcome him aboard.”

STATEMENT FROM JEFF LEBBY:

“I'm honored by the opportunity I've been given to represent one of the most important programs in college athletics. My experiences at Baylor will inform my perspective for the rest of my life, on and off the field. It will be a privilege to work with Coach Venables and Joe Castiglione. These are two men I believe in and have the greatest respect for — I have the utmost confidence in their administrative leadership. OU's athletics programs have always demanded the best and I will work every day to earn the trust they have placed in me to represent this institution.”
    There you go.

Blog Entries

Arkansas Razorbacks 66 vs Oklahoma Sooner 88

Box score https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401371829

BOK Center, Tulsa

Blog Entries

BOK Center Attendance 12,746 watched the game between Sooners and the Razorbacks.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma Sooners 47 vs Oregon Ducks 32

10. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Well, it looks like the old adage continues to ring true: players can smell rats.

It was wild to see how much harder this team played for Bob Stoops, but it makes a lot of sense. He's not a rat.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Well, it looks like the old adage continues to ring true: players can smell rats.

It was wild to see how much harder this team played for Bob Stoops, but it makes a lot of sense. He's not a rat.
    They sure did seem to have a lot more fun last night than I'd seen most games this season, and it was just so great to see Bob on the sidelines. OU is lucky to have a guy like that in the program.

One of the more fun bowl games I've watched in awhile honestly. Probably has a lot to do with the nostalgia of Bob, but hey that's nice too occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    One of the more fun bowl games I've watched in awhile honestly. Probably has a lot to do with the nostalgia of Bob, but hey that's nice too occasionally.
    Nostalgia for Bob and complete lack of real consequences if we lost. Definitely more relaxing to watch when a national championship bid isn't on the line (of course the same could’ve been said for the Cotton bowl last year)

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Nostalgia for Bob and complete lack of real consequences if we lost. Definitely more relaxing to watch when a national championship bid isn't on the line (of course the same could’ve been said for the Cotton bowl last year)
    Agreed. It's definitely a lot more fun to watch when we win, though! I would not have been surprised to see the team looking a little unfocused, or not playing up to potential, but Bob got them to show up. That was fun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    So true PhiAlpha, Bob basically had nothing to lose, he rescued an abandoned team. He made the most of it--got sweet revenge for the Pac 10 officiating crew blunders of 2006.

Spilled milk from 2006

Blog Entries

... And there was this:

...The conclusion; they mention Oklahoma State vs Central Michigan

17. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

I had forgotten the replay official resigned and the field referee crew was suspended for the miscalls.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I had forgotten the replay official resigned and the field referee crew was suspended for the miscalls.
    And that was a big deal at the time, if I recall correctly.

Williams enters the transfer portal.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ootball-option

Williams, a true freshman this past season, said in his tweet that he went to Oklahoma with a game plan, "but with all of the recent changes, I need to figure out what is the right path for me moving forward."

Williams said that staying at Oklahoma would "definitely be an option" as he goes through the process. He explained that, as a student-athlete, the only way under NCAA rules he could speak to other schools and "see who may offer the best preparation and development for my future career is by entering the portal."
    Last edited by BrettM2; 01-04-2022 at 06:00 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    Williams enters the transfer portal.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ootball-option
    This means "which school will get me paid". This is the new NIL world we're living in. Outside of earning potential, there's no logical reason for Caleb to leave OU. I'm irritated he entered the portal, but OU should be fine even if he leaves. It's Oklahoma football, it's not dependent on one player. I hope he stays, but it won't be the end of the world if he does. Plenty of kids would die for a shot to be the starting QB at Oklahoma. Caleb clearly isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    This means "which school will get me paid". This is the new NIL world we're living in. Outside of earning potential, there's no logical reason for Caleb to leave OU. I'm irritated he entered the portal, but OU should be fine even if he leaves. It's Oklahoma football, it's not dependent on one player. I hope he stays, but it won't be the end of the world if he does. Plenty of kids would die for a shot to be the starting QB at Oklahoma. Caleb clearly isn't one of them.
    You are absolutely right. And Dillon Gabriel is such a player!

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...otball-program

Amidst all this, I had forgotten that we had signed a 4-star QB Nick Evers last month.

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/202...alachi-nelson/

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post

Amidst all this, I had forgotten that we had signed a 4-star QB Nick Evers last month.

Yeah, it's not like Oklahoma hasn't used that portal to their advantage, too!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post

Maybe Caleb Williams is feeling the heat much like Spencer Rattler felt when he (CW) took over the QB position full time.

OU will be ready come next season and the competition for QB duties will be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Maybe Caleb Williams is feeling the heat much like Spencer Rattler felt when he (CW) took over the QB position full time.

OU will be ready come next season and the competition for QB duties will be competitive.
    Let's not pretend Caleb was jaw droppingly good this season. In hindsight, yes he played better and the team played better for him, but down the stretch he also got replaced for Rattler, and made some awful decisions. Granted, he's a freshman.

However, if one can't take the heat playing football at OU, one should find a new career choice.

I want a kid that wants to play at OU, and will do whatever he needs to do to make that happen. Many QBs from recent memory come to mind. This trend of getting commits 5 years out and all these stud QBs seems to be a recent obsession with the last OU coach, not the current coach. I think Venables definitely wants Caleb to stay, but he also knows he's the head coach of OU and can have his pick of a lot of really good players.

I'm very excited about next season.

25. Default Re: University of Oklahoma Sports

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Let's not pretend Caleb was jaw droppingly good this season. In hindsight, yes he played better and the team played better for him, but down the stretch he also got replaced for Rattler, and made some awful decisions. Granted, he's a freshman.

However, if one can't take the heat playing football at OU, one should find a new career choice.

I want a kid that wants to play at OU, and will do whatever he needs to do to make that happen. Many QBs from recent memory come to mind. This trend of getting commits 5 years out and all these stud QBs seems to be a recent obsession with the last OU coach, not the current coach. I think Venables definitely wants Caleb to stay, but he also knows he's the head coach of OU and can have his pick of a lot of really good players.

I'm very excited about next season.
    I agree. Williams looked amazing coming in vs Texas. In the games after that he was average to above average but not amazing. He did look great in the bowl game but that was a special situation. Gabriel may be as good or better and wants to play for Lebby from what I've heard.

Thread Information