Widgets Magazine
Page 441 of 486 FirstFirst ... 341391436437438439440441442443444445446 ... LastLast
Results 11,001 to 11,025 of 12138

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

I'm sure they own them.

And they probably have a big off-site storage for these and other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    A question that comes to mind: Where do they put all those giganto decorations when they take them down?
    They sell them to Chesapeake at 3x their cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just FYI, I was told by someone who knows that the only way to repair the LED units is with the BMU and that for quite a while it was unavailable.

Don't know the status of the BMU but it certainly hasn't seen much use.
    In the past few two weeks I haven't seen it much, but during my breaks at work I notice in use quite often. Hard to say how frequently, but I would guess about 3-4 week days -- when I actually notice it.

A few more nice shots of the yuletide atmosphere around Devon Energy Center:

They're going to need a mighty big attic for all this stuff!

More pics here:
    Missing WHITE in holiday season? Visit skating rink in Downtown OKC

Great shots, Praedura - thank you!

Blog Entries

Yes, very nice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Our politicians aren't far behind.....and they have shovels too.
    Kind of disappointed to see you were comparing our politicians to Chicago's and not the suspectedly useless BMU.

From "Devon's Saturdays with Santa" facebook page (no, really):

Nice to see the families out on the lawn

Size is not everything (or is it?)

I wonder what that space is ordinarily, with the giant ball gone. Just more lawn? Perhaps they should have something there all year long -- something photo-op-ish.

Yes it is entirely lawn.

Oh yes, this was the green space that was so non-inviting.......according to some of the theories thown out here. In the last few weeks, I've been by there a dozen times during all times of the week, and it's usually pretty well occupied with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Oh yes, this was the green space that was so non-inviting.......according to some of the theories thown out here. In the last few weeks, I've been by there a dozen times during all times of the week, and it's usually pretty well occupied with people.
    i find myself on this green space more than the Myriad Gardens... i used to walk around the Myriad at least once a week, and now i find this as my calming spot. infact, i haven't crossed the street to go to the Myriad since the last movie in the park night...

Interesting that the Devon Lawn seems to be more used than MBG. That doesn't bode well for Central Park ... or Prominade Park ...... or Wheller Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Interesting that the Devon Lawn seems to be more used than MBG. That doesn't bode well for Central Park ... or Prominade Park ...... or Wheller Park.
    if Wheeler Park wasn't just a bunch of baseball and softball fields, i would be using it instead of downtown. and it is easier to get to and from if you aren't in downtown

The devon lawn obsolutely does now get used more than the myriad gardens. There is just a giant red ball on the lawn right now so people are drawn to it and want to take pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    The devon lawn obsolutely does now get used more than the myriad gardens. There is just a giant red ball on the lawn right now so people are drawn to it and want to take pictures.
    This is the perfect example to what I have said in the Central Park thread and various other discussions. We need a permanent piece of public art downtown that attracts people to interact with it, take pictures with it, etc. Devon's large, smooth, red balls are the perfect example -- look at how many people they attract and how many people walk around to interact with it.

We need a permanent piece of art that inspires imagination and promotes interaction and is a central focal point for people to walk to. The Bean in Millennium Park in Chicago is a terrific example of this, it draws a similar level of interaction as these large red balls do.

I'm just glad there are more than just two giant red balls at the base of the tower.

Sorry, bad joke.

17. Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

Amen. And it needs to be very large. I looked for the new "earth meets sky" sculpture by City Hall for about 10 minutes before I found it, and I knew what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I'm just glad there are more than just two giant red balls at the base of the tower.

Sorry, bad joke.
    Red is better than blue...

I think if it were some kind of public art where people could climb through it like that bubbly structure at the Oklahoma Science Museum (don't know if it's still there), that would be pretty cool. Not much of a way to outdo the bean in Chicago unless you make it totally interactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Red is better than blue...
    Tru dat.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    While I am excited at the probability that Devon will build another tower downtown, am I alone in thinking that their downsizing of the Devon Tower was not as carefully thought as they had hoped? What a sight it would have been to have the 75 feet back (maybe 4 floors?). Or even add 50 more feet to get supertall status. (to dream, OKC with a supertall)

Sure, I want more buildings but wouldn't it be nice to have the 925 footer AND a 30-40 storey Devon 'amenities' tower. lol
    Yes!! yep yep yep totally! our city deserves it

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    This is the perfect example to what I have said in the Central Park thread and various other discussions. We need a permanent piece of public art downtown that attracts people to interact with it, take pictures with it, etc. Devon's large, smooth, red balls are the perfect example -- look at how many people they attract and how many people walk around to interact with it.

We need a permanent piece of art that inspires imagination and promotes interaction and is a central focal point for people to walk to. The Bean in Millennium Park in Chicago is a terrific example of this, it draws a similar level of interaction as these large red balls do.
    Totally agree. We do need a great piece of public art. But, I'm not really worried about the central park. I've always felt the Myriad Gardens is too programmed to be a place of relaxation. It feels busy. The central park (and perhaps we should thank financial constraints) will be an open area that I think people will be drawn to because of what it does and doesn't have. But, a big piece of interactive art would help as well.

24. Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

Those were stunning photos of the Devon (and other) Christmas decorations, Praedura ... truly nice that Devon takes its civic pride so magnanimously as to produce such pieces of beautiful yet simple art that everyone can relate to, in terms of both quality and quantity. My hat is very much off to Devon for doing this.

As an aside and a somewhat related topic, I'm wondering what became of the Compass Rose sculpture that the City Council approved in March 2010. Now that it is obviously not going to be placed in the Bicentennial Park as originally planned, I do hope that it will be resurrected and placed somewhere ... perhaps in a highly visible area in Central Park. I'll search OklcTalk to see if I can find any information about this splendid project.

The thread on the Compass Rose is here, in the General Development area. It hasn't been updated for quite some time and it doesn't have a Wiki piece on it. I'll give that a stab, if I can figure out how to do that.

25. Default Re: Devon Energy Center (Devon Tower)

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    From "Devon's Saturdays with Santa".
    So is it possible to ask this "Devon Santa" for another tower?

Thread Information