Widgets Magazine
Page 44 of 149 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484994144 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 3702

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It wasn't the idea of cutting the walls out...that might be a good idea. It was comparing the result of doing that to create an area comparable to the area next to the Louvre that I was commenting on. To anyone who has been there, they would understand the absurdity of the comparison. Since many might have visited Jerry World, they would get the relative absurdity of my suggestion. To those who haven't visited either...well they might not get it at all.
    Actually, I'm sure that Kerry has been there. I agree it's hardly a good comparison though.

Blog Entries

Sometimes some people try so hard to sell their ideas that they wind up making absurd statements that might appear rational to those without knowledge or experience, but they lose credibility with anyone who actually knows reality. They should just present their good ideas. JTF has good ideas and is well read and I respect him for that. I'll leave it at that.

It wasn't the idea of cutting the walls out...that might be a good idea. It was comparing the result of doing that to create an area comparable to the area next to the Louvre that I was commenting on. To anyone who has been there, they would understand the absurdity of the comparison. Since many might have visited Jerry World, they would get the relative absurdity of my suggestion. To those who haven't visited either...well they might not get it at all.
    You seriously need to re-read what he wrote. To avoid any confusion:

Quote Originally Posted by Just the Facts
    The easy fix is to just go through the building and make the parkside an open air arcade like the buildings north of The Louvre.
    Stretching that to "an area comparable to the area next to the Louve" is absurd logical acrobatics. This what he really said:

Quote Originally Posted by Just the Facts
    The easy fix is to just go through the building and make the parkside an open air arcade like the buildings north of The Louvre are also an open air arcade.
    But if you're already convinced that someone always spews outlandish ideas, you're predisposed to an erroneous reading.

4. Default Re: Central Park

I have great respect for any number who post here. To name a few: Spartan, Urbanized, Pete and plenty others. I appreciate comments, suggestions and action based on reality and experience and probably have way too little patience for pie in the sky and rigidly dogmatic comments that aren't founded in real world realities. If my responses sometimes come off as biting, I apologize.
    And I'm difficult to have respect for, so that's saying something. :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    You seriously need to re-read what he wrote. To avoid any confusion:

Stretching that to "an area comparable to the area next to the Louve" is absurd logical acrobatics. This what he really said:

But if you're already convinced that someone always spews outlandish ideas, you're predisposed to an erroneous reading.
    In that both Taft and Jerry World are football stadiums, I guess I can concede that the open film exchange building would be like across the street from the Louvre and gardens. LOL. Whatever you choose to defend and double down on is your deal.

In that both Taft and Jerry World are football stadiums, I guess I can concede that the open film exchange building would be like across the street from the Louvre and gardens. LOL. Whatever you choose to defend and double down on is your deal.
    I'm not defending what he said, I'm merely telling you what he said, since you demonstrated a clear misunderstanding of what is relatively easy to understand English. And seeing as this is is my first post in this thread in 2015, the only one doubling down on anything is you on your propensity to be an incorrigible and petulant poster which, by the way, several reasonable posters have publicly noted recently.

JTF was only making an example of what other places have done & how they can be implemented here. He wasn't making an exact comparison of our park & the louve. I think it was a really great idea in general.

I will also pile on, I've basically completely ignored Rover's postings for the last few months ever since he's gone on his JTF tirade. Not that my opinion matters much, as I'm a below par poster myself .

8. Default Re: Central Park

Don't sell yourself short, Judge. You're a tremendous slouch.

Okay, I'm confused now. The new park will be modeled after the Louvre and will include rovers with jumbotrons that give us just the facts?

Come on, now...we can like or dislike anybody all we want, but do we really have to announce it as if it'll make a difference?

Blog Entries

For all of those who are offended by my counterpoints, to JFT or to anyone, I apologize. I think I take all this too seriously. I am slow to realize that this is merely an open discussion board and there are apparently no wrong statements or ideas....mine, or anyone else's. People are free to believe whatever they want and interpret things however they want...I get it. There are those on here that I think bring great insight, perspective, context and solid information and I appreciate reading those posts. I hope everyone on here realizes who those people are and the value of what they bring. It is not my place to tell you who they are, so everyone is smart enough to figure it out, or not.

But this thread isn't about me. It is just about dreaming about a new park. So, I will excuse myself and not make comments unless they are positive...unless I just can't help myself.

Blog Entries

I think the building would be a great police station to monitor the park from. It is positioned to oversee much of the open area. Could make the park safer.

Blog Entries

Or, it could be a great first aid building.
    Or, it could be a place to rent skateboards or sell kites, or other things to be enjoyed in the park.

I think the building would be a great police station to monitor the park from. It is positioned to oversee much of the open area. Could make the park safer.
    Now this is a good idea.

Blog Entries

Or use it on weekends as a kids market. I was just in Canada in a small town where on the weekend in the market in the park a part of the market was set aside for kids to bring things they make, etc., to sell. It was fun to see all the kids trying to sell things like homemade post cards, wrist bands, puppets, etc.

Blog Entries

Or as an off track betting parlor for the fathers to hang out in while the kids play in the park.

Blog Entries

Or as an uber/taxi station. There is no parking at the park.

There is parking at the park... But not a lot of it. There will be on-street parking, as shown in the presentation to City Council linked from post #1049.

Blog Entries

The feel here among posters is to save every building in OKC that has historical value. It's not as simple as it appear. Let's face it, some of these building would be a risk. You don't want to tie up all of the funds into a building that is functionally deficient; which may have plumbing & electrical concerns; then figure out how you want to use it.

Central Park is strategically planned. Let's proceed with Central Park's vision.

19. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The feel here among posters is to save every building in OKC that has historical value. It's not as simple as it appear. Let's face it, some of these building would be a risk. You don't want to tie up all of the funds into a building that is functionally deficient; which may have plumbing & electrical concerns; then figure out how you want to use it.

Central Park is strategically planned. Let's proceed with Central Park's vision.
    No trust me, OKC is not in risk of becoming too preservationist. That is nowhere even close to happening.

Eek, could you imagine something so awful?

Interesting observation from yesterday's MAPS 3 Park Meeting. Nearly all of the dilapidated buildings in "Hubcap Alley" on the west side of Robinson between the river and Skydance Bridge are proposed by Hargreaves for demolition as part of the south Central Park plan. Only one was proposed as being worthy of being saved as part of their evaluation.

Other notes, a urban farm is proposed, community gardens, a huge artificial turn lawn for soccer and wide area sports.

Hubcap Alley isn't pretty but it has character. Can't believe they are talking about demolishing it. Most of the buildings are dilapidated but they could be restored.

They don't want the ass end of the dilapidated buildings facing into the park.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Hubcap Alley isn't pretty but it has character. Can't believe they are talking about demolishing it. Most of the buildings are dilapidated but they could be restored.
    The physical park will be west of Robinson all the way to Harvey. Of course those buildings are going to be demoed

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Why can't you believe it? Hargreaves doesn't care one bit about our city. They only care about building a park that looks great from Google Earth.

The buildings on the west side of Robinson are garbage anyway. The ones on the east side (that's not part of the park anyhow) are the ones worth saving, IMO.

I also saw some younger guys and I assume an agent looking at the old Uniroyal shop on the corner of Robinson and SW 15th the other day. If I had a bunch of money I would love to buy that, I think it would make a pretty sweet sports bar.

Thread Information