Widgets Magazine
Page 43 of 149 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474893143 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 3702

Thread: Scissortail Park

Blog Entries

Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Saw this update at the council meeting today so thought it would be good for reference and to keep everyone updated. http://www.okc.gov/councilnotes/2015...esentation.pdf
    At the very end it does show two graphics on why the film row building wouldn't work.https://youtu.be/U87hDMiF9lA?t=1h28m5s
    OKC Central Park will be a 'quality of life' game-changer...

Blog Entries

I'm sorry but I just don't think it would take much to make the buildings work if they were properly motivated (e.g. the city said "just make it work).

The only thing I can see from the last two pages in that presentation as to potentially insurmountable challenges with keeping the Film Exchange building is that the 12' sidewalk they want along Robinson would be crammed down to roughly 5', and it would prevent the installation of street lighting and trees in front of the building because of ADA limits. They could potentially keep the building and just not install the street lighting or trees in front of the building. They would have to redesign that section to move the Promenade and the weekend market/event foodservice area however. Of course, if done right, the building could also be used for these purposes if the lower level was opened up to the park in some way.

The sidewalk/lighting/tree issue is potentially a pretty big problem... the rest of it is relatively easily fixable.

As for the overall design of the park... Honestly, I love it and I can't wait to see work begin on the areas not immediately surrounding the Film Exchange.

Blog Entries

There are things that can be done to mitigate, such as mount the lights on the building... or have an ADA sidewalk going west of the building. It's such a small stretch of the park to accommodate... we're not asking for wholesale redesign...

it's sad but watching the video she goes through every thought on what went into this building and I think the current effort is to little to late if what she says is true.
    Another thing I noticed is the street view of the new boulevard doesn't show any bike lanes like their Robinson street view does so I hope that's just because they don't have the current designs. I do think it's a fantastic idea to use the lake as the water source and design the park that bioflitrstion will help feed all the water back into the lake.

Here are the two slides on the Film Exchange Building.

As always, when there is a will to save historic buildings, there is always a way. Just no will here, obviously.

Easy fix, just remove the car parking from in front of the buildings... They just don't want to do it. The city should have told them to design around the structures instead of giving them free reign.

Isn't four feet the minimum sidewalk width to be ADA compliant? Twelve feet is nice and all, but I don't think it's necessary for it to be that wide.

99% of people have never heard about this building. Face it, NOBODY CARES.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    Well, 99% of people have never heard your family home either. But we probably shouldn't let them run a bulldozer through your front door.
    Last edited by hoya; 09-02-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Edited to be less antagonistic

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Saw this update at the council meeting today so thought it would be good for reference and to keep everyone updated. http://www.okc.gov/councilnotes/2015...esentation.pdf
    At the very end it does show two graphics on why the film row building wouldn't work.https://youtu.be/U87hDMiF9lA?t=1h28m5s
    This comment isn't directed at you, but what a load of horse manuer. If this design firm can't figure out how to incorporate 2 buildings into a food service estabilshment then it is because they don't want to - not because it is too challenging to figure out.

The easy fix is to just go through the building and make the parkside an open air arcade like the buildings north of The Louvre.

I think Pete said it best in that there was no will to save it. Watching the video she seemed to have every excuse on why it wouldn't work. Interesting you mentioned something open air because that was a reason it didn't fit in the park plan in that all their new buildings would be open air type concepts, which I think would work well with this building.
    But in the end I am excited about the park. I think it will have just about something for everyone but hopefully not be too coordinated that it feels empty if something isn't going on. I know we are years from a possible announcement but I can't wait to see urban housing spring up on the park frontage. I really hope the council sets up some sort of design standard for this area to help form a very comprehensive district.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    The easy fix is to just go through the building and make the parkside an open air arcade like the buildings north of The Louvre.
    I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't been there. This is a ridiculous comparison to make. This is like saying we can make Taft Stadium like Jerry World if we just hang a HDTV over the field.

14. Default Re: Central Park

It's kind of a farce at this point, especially when you have supposedly exemplar landscape architects pretending we would lose the revenue-generating beverage area, which did we mention is revenue-generating?

It doesn't exist yet. The Film Exchange Building still does, for now. That's something we will actually lose, unlike the promenade and beverage area (an outdoor beverage area?) that can be thoughtfully penciled in somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's kind of a farce at this point, especially when you have supposedly exemplar landscape architects pretending we would lose the revenue-generating beverage area, which did we mention is revenue-generating?

It doesn't exist yet. The Film Exchange Building still does, for now. That's something we will actually lose, unlike the promenade and beverage area (an outdoor beverage area?) that can be thoughtfully penciled in somewhere else.
    Spartan, it would be impossible to squeeze it in somewhere else in only a 40 acre area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't been there. This is a ridiculous comparison to make. This is like saying we can make Taft Stadium like Jerry World if we just hang a HDTV over the field.
    Peace out Rover.

These 2 buildings, or at least the Film Exchange building would be good facilities to house the park lawn and garden care equipment, or any other maintenance equipment for that matter. No way it would cost more to repurpose these instead of building from scratch. Their biggest argument is the width of the sidewalk on Robinson. Just remove about 5 curb side parking spaces and problem solved.

The bottom line is they just don't want to use them.

it comes down to this.. you can find reasons to justify scrapping them.. or you can find solutions to keep them.. they chose the former.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    I do think you're right that many people in OKC do not care about how it is developed and it shows. However, thankfully, the 1% that do care have given us Bricktown, Midtown, Uptown, Paseo, Automobile Alley, and the Plaza district.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Peace out Rover.
    Please stop doing this.

Blog Entries

I know it isn't an elegant re-use, but what about using this building for public restrooms & water fountains. It would serve the great lawn area.

22. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Please stop doing this.
    While it is quite childish, any time Rover responds to anyone on this board I feel the same way. Easily the biggest dick here. Absolutely zero respect given to anyone.

Blog Entries

I have great respect for any number who post here. To name a few: Spartan, Urbanized, Pete and plenty others. I appreciate comments, suggestions and action based on reality and experience and probably have way too little patience for pie in the sky and rigidly dogmatic comments that aren't founded in real world realities. If my responses sometimes come off as biting, I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I have great respect for any number who post here. To name a few: Spartan, Urbanized, Pete and plenty others. I appreciate comments, suggestions and action based on reality and experience and probably have way too little patience for pie in the sky and rigidly dogmatic comments that aren't founded in real world realities. If my responses sometimes come off as biting, I apologize.
    Real world realities on an internet web forum? That's like hanging a giant HDTV in a daycare and suddenly having Jerry's World. Did I do that right? No, I don't think I did.

Posting on here isn't a career, and it's definitely not some sort of board meeting. It's a discussion forum, and excellent ideas can form from "pie in the sky" discussions. Many successful business plans were "pie in the sky" ideas written on bar napkins at 1am over cocktails with coworkers or investors. Many excellent ideas come from day dreaming outlandish ideas, discussing them, refining them, polishing the corners, ironing out the kinks, and executing some form of the original idea.

People are thinking out loud. Like any brainstorming event, bad ideas are the only ones not discussed. JTF suggested that we cut the walls that are interior to the park, and make open air structures out of them. Your response is that is the same idea as making Jerry World out of Taft Stadium? WTF?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    JTF suggested that we cut the walls that are interior to the park, and make open air structures out of them. Your response is that is the same idea as making Jerry World out of Taft Stadium? WTF?
    It wasn't the idea of cutting the walls out...that might be a good idea. It was comparing the result of doing that to create an area comparable to the area next to the Louvre that I was commenting on. To anyone who has been there, they would understand the absurdity of the comparison. Since many might have visited Jerry World, they would get the relative absurdity of my suggestion. To those who haven't visited either...well they might not get it at all.

Thread Information