Widgets Magazine
Page 43 of 488 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474893143 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 12187

Thread: Devon Energy Center

Default Re: This makes me sad.

I knew it was too good to be true. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they decided not to build but move to Houston instead.

Don't count your chickens until they hatch.

2. Default Re: This makes me sad.

Guys, guys, it's not that bad. I'll share the scoop with you now and you can read it when it hits the paper or goes online in the morning: the tower is being trimmed from 54 to 50 stories.

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bummer.

Oh well, at least it's getting built -- right???

4. Default Re: This makes me sad.

Yep. Site work set to begin the first week of October. Ironically, back when Larry Nichols first announced Devon was building tower and that he expected it to be 37 stories, you guys would have flipped for 50. Goes to show how expectations change.

5. Default Re: Devon Tower

I suggest we all start protesting the height of the building. The price of construction have gone way down, so they should be able to make it taller. No excuses.

If this height is final, then it is an embarassment to the city.

6. Default Re: This makes me sad.

I'm ashamed of Devon. Just what reason do they have to cut it shorter? We should start a protest, movement, campaign, or something to demand that building to be closer to 1,000 ft. We should not accept any excuses.

I hope they are reading this.

7. Default Re: This makes me sad.

Are you really serious?

8. Default Re: This makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Are you really serious?
    Hell yeah! I come home after a tough day at work to see this news. I'm not a happy bunny.

Perhaps 50 stories will blend in a little better with the rest of the skyline.

Come on Thunder man, I was pumped up back when I heard this thing might be 700 feet tall.

900 feet plus is great......we are lucky to be where we are with Devon.

I didn't think this town would ever see a new highrise.

Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I suggest we all start protesting the height of the building. The price of construction have gone way down, so they should be able to make it taller. No excuses.

I've got it! MAPS for 17 FEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

Thunder, you obviously have a loose screw.

No one would even notice 17 feet.

Settle down. Hopefully it will stay at 908'.

Whoa, we got some radicals on the forum!

16. Default Re: Devon Tower

lets just build a huge spiral on top and make it top 1000 ft.

Klay Kimker, Devon’s vice president of administration... said the change [in height] is unrelated to the national economy and still would have occurred if oil were selling at $145 a barrel.

...Riiiiiiiight.

Pondering if the number 908 has a particular significance, or if it's a mere co-inkidink of a revised design.

Where in the story are you guys seeing that it will be any height? All I see is a 54 to 50 floors. Where did this 908 come from?

I think the bottom guys need to take Beano. The top man should offer to hold the lighting rod. We'll show Dallas.

Klay Kimker, Devon’s vice president of administration... said the change [in height] is unrelated to the national economy and still would have occurred if oil were selling at $145 a barrel.

...Riiiiiiiight.
    Makes sense to me. It's still just as big, just not as tall. If they had to cut it for the economy they would have had to make it smaller, because it would have been about shrinking the company more than shrinking the building. They ended up getting one more office per floor, so obviously they didn't need the extra floors.

I'm surprised so many are getting upset by this. It's an awesome building. They could build that design at 37 stories and it would be cool and still add a lot to the skyline. And did people really think that buildings are built exactly like their first rendering?

The biggest difference this project will make is with the millions of dollars it will bring to the downtown economy and in TIF improvements to the area. 4 floors one way or the other don't change that. It's not like 4 floors suddenly made Oklahoma City's skyline better than Dallas's anyway, so I have no idea why anyone is hung up on that.

I think people are more upset at the uncertainty than anything else. Many people have been disappointed over the years with plans being done away with completely. Anytime a shrinkage is announced, it brings worry that it is "just the beginning".

Heck, those were the floors for "little people" anyway. Seventeen divided by 4 is 4 1/4' per floor. They must have fired all of their midgets.

In many ways it's a relief to know the plans are final, it's still 50 floors, wickedly tall and has all the great design features.

I'm sure at this point there won't be any further changes and that's great news.

Thread Information