Widgets Magazine
Page 43 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2314

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Back around the late 1990s / early 2000s ODOT came out and did the environmental impact studies and design for a full interchange there at 35/240. They started with buying right of way in bits and pieces including houses and the apartment complex on the NW side. On the NE side, ODOT started negotiating with the then owners of the NE side of the interchange (the owners of the mall properties) when, during negotiations, the mall property sold parcels along the interchange (or did something I'm not sure those details) which ultimately ended up resulting in a Best Buy being built and a couple other buildings. Negotiations stopped at that point and ODOT abandoned their full redesign due to not being able to purchase the desired right-of-way on the NE corner there, thus the environmental and design started all over again from scratch at that point.

They are working hard on this project lets hope they use any incentives and finish in 1.5 years vice 2. So far not too bad but people have been out on spring breaks too.

OkDOT had originally intended for the I-35/I-240 interchange to be completed quicker than it has taken based on some of their past press releases. My guess is that the state budget cuts a couple years affect this. They had originally intended to start and do one phase right after the each non stopping construction until it was finished. Obviously that has changed.

It appears they are combining all remaining phases into one construction package like the I-235/I-44 interchange. Even the last planned phases for the I-235/I-44 interchange rebuilding and expanding the Lincoln access ramps will start next year before this phase wraps up. It looks like work will begin next year on the I-240/I-35 interchange and all phases will be U/C at once. Not a bad trade off.

Out of curiosity, does anybody (who knows how construction works) understand how this next phase is taking place? It's amazing to me how massive this interchange remodel is going to be. They have already moved lots of dirt and are kind of all over the place with it. Are they doing everything at once instead of focusing on a certain area? Will the flyover bridges go up before everything else?

Quote Originally Posted by tyeomans View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anybody (who knows how construction works) understand how this next phase is taking place? It's amazing to me how massive this interchange remodel is going to be. They have already moved lots of dirt and are kind of all over the place with it. Are they doing everything at once instead of focusing on a certain area? Will the flyover bridges go up before everything else?
    First phase involves overpass structures, south bound bridge over deep fork river/drainage canal, northbound bridge over I-44. ramps/bridge structures on the northeast end. They can't move forwarded with northbound lanes and approaches until overpass structures are completed and northbound cloverleafs are removed. Can't move forward with southbound lanes and ramps until northbound bridge and lanes are carrying traffic. So that kind of gives you an idea on sequencing. Your going to be seeing over 20 plus bridge piers going up to support overpass structures in the coming months.

Thanks for the reply! I find this type of stuff super fascinating, and I can't wait to see all the new bridges start to go up!

Anyone know the plan for the new bridges over I-44? I mean they have to replace both of them, are they going to put in a 3 lane bridge and run 4 narrow thru lanes through it or what? If they plan on running 1 lane each direction, that would be one hell of a backup, even if folks are using alternative routes.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    Anyone know the plan for the new bridges over I-44? I mean they have to replace both of them, are they going to put in a 3 lane bridge and run 4 narrow thru lanes through it or what? If they plan on running 1 lane each direction, that would be one hell of a backup, even if folks are using alternative routes.
    New northbound bridge will be built beside existing northbound bridge. Once traffic is shifted to new northbound bridge and new overpasses, Old northbound half of bridge will be demolished and southbound side built. Old southbound will then be demolished and dedicated southbound cloverleaf exit/entrance lane bridge will be built. Western cloverleafs will stay open using temp pavement while the last 1/3rd of bridge is being built.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    New northbound bridge will be built beside existing northbound bridge. Once traffic is shifted to new northbound bridge and new overpasses, Old northbound half of bridge will be demolished and southbound side built. Old southbound will then be demolished and dedicated southbound cloverleaf exit/entrance lane bridge will be built. Western cloverleafs will stay open using temp pavement while the last 1/3rd of bridge is being built.
    Are you sure? It looks to me like they will build west of existing overpasses first which would be southbound first?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Are you sure? It looks to me like they will build west of existing overpasses first which would be southbound first?
    The staging documents that came out when project was first let suggested this. So far they have been following it. Since everything is being shifted to the east, they would have to do northbound bridge first. Granted there is a lot of concurrent work going on. The construction on southbound lanes to the north of I-44 is jumping in sequence. The contractor probably felt they could jump ahead without disrupting traffic.

The first set of overpass piers are being dug within northwest cloverleaf.

The staging documents that came out when project was first let suggested this. So far they have been following it. Since everything is being shifted to the east, they would have to do northbound bridge first. Granted there is a lot of concurrent work going on. The construction on southbound lanes to the north of I-44 is jumping in sequence. The contractor probably felt they could jump ahead without disrupting traffic.

The first set of overpass piers are being dug within northwest cloverleaf.
    All I know when driving by is most work is being done just west of southbound lanes. Also looking at site it seems to me there is more room to build west than east (for overpasses). When looking at pictures if they were to build east side first that would mean even more of a misalignment when factoring in the north and south sections on either side of overpasses.

So to me it makes more sense to build the west (south bound) side first due to eventual alignment.

All I know when driving by is most work is being done just west of southbound lanes. Also looking at site it seems to me there is more room to build west than east (for overpasses). When looking at pictures if they were to build east side first that would mean even more of a misalignment when factoring in the north and south sections on either side of overpasses.

So to me it makes more sense to build the west (south bound) side first due to eventual alignment.
    Here are the suggested sequencing plans. Either way its going to get pretty messy before this project is over with. It is a significant alignment shift to the east.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contr...TION%20(1).pdf

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contr...TION%20(2).pdf

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contr...TION%20(3).pdf

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contr...TION%20(4).pdf

Here are the suggested sequencing plans. Either way its going to get pretty messy before this project is over with. It is a significant alignment shift to the east.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contr...TION%20(1).pdf

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contr...TION%20(2).pdf

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contr...TION%20(3).pdf

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contr...TION%20(4).pdf
    Thanks for links. I looked at them on phone and its hard to get a nice view but it appears what you are saying is true by those. But then I look at overhead posted by Pete and the overpasses already “jaunt” to the east so it seems moving them one spot west puts them in better alignment for finished product. Plus driving by it seems they have more room to do west (south) first. Maybe the attachments were changed since then? Not sure how old they are?

15. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is that hotel in the bottom of the photo staying? It looks awfully close to the new construction.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post

It looks like from this rendering: 5 new bridges that cross Deep Fork (including flyover from NB I-235/US-77 to WB I-44), 3 bridges for I-235/US-77 over I-44, 1 flyover from EB I-44 to NB US-77 and 1 bridge from that flyover to NW 63rd, and 1 bridge from NB I-235/US-77 to NW 63rd.
    Replying to this so we can see the completed view but its hard to tell by this if overpasses are moved one spot east or west. The current overpasses already seem very easterly but as long as they complete (and early) I’ll be happy

The documents are from November so they are final design. The current southbound bridge is sitting where the new two lane bridge that will sit that exclusively serve the two cloverleaf lanes, so everything is expanding east to accommodate additional lanes.

This is mind-boggling and fascinating to witness. Too bad there isn't some sort of time-lapse camera set up somewhere on one of the adjacent buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    Is that hotel in the bottom of the photo staying? It looks awfully close to the new construction.
    Yes, There is going to be a 63rd st off ramp overpass structure that will go over ramp coming from eastbound I-44 and westbound I-44 ramps to northbound Broadway extension. This structure will be built to the south of the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by tyeomans View Post
    This is mind-boggling and fascinating to witness. Too bad there isn't some sort of time-lapse camera set up somewhere on one of the adjacent buildings.
    Yeah, I wish we had something better than a low resolution traffic camera.

The documents are from November so they are final design. The current southbound bridge is sitting where the new two lane bridge that will sit that exclusively serve the two cloverleaf lanes, so everything is expanding east to accommodate additional lanes.
    Thanks!

My main interest is in knowing the more you “bend” a road “more curvy than straight” seems to cause more driver slowdowns.

One other comment and this lends to us (ODOT) not thinking ahead for growth. They are adding flyovers going 1-44 East but not adding them I-44 West. More traffic growth in this area is likely to come from the east than the west. Edmond and NorthEast OKC wanting use 35S to 44W to 235S will still need to use an antique cloverleaf to get to 235S.

All I know is that it has to be a nightmare to plan each phase of this part of the project alone... I truly marvel at what these engineers do, even when it's inconvenient driving through there during the process... this is a truly massive, complex ordeal.

Thanks!

My main interest is in knowing the more you “bend” a road “more curvy than straight” seems to cause more driver slowdowns.

One other comment and this lends to us (ODOT) not thinking ahead for growth. They are adding flyovers going 1-44 East but not adding them I-44 West. More traffic growth in this area is likely to come from the east than the west. Edmond and NorthEast OKC wanting use 35S to 44W to 235S will still need to use an antique cloverleaf to get to 235S.
    I probably shouldn't have used said significant shift east. They are basically adding 4 lanes total. 2 separated SB dedicated cloverleaf lanes, 1 additional NB and southbound lane. So it is still a shift to the east just make room for those additional lanes.

It would be nice if this was a full stack, but the reality is Oklahoma can't afford it. It would take additional right of way and money to make that happen. The additional levels would have to start further back to still have a proper incline and the number and size of the piers would cost more. It would probably be double the cost at least.

I probably shouldn't have used said significant shift east. They are basically adding 4 lanes total. 2 separated SB dedicated cloverleaf lanes, 1 additional NB and southbound lane. So it is still a shift to the east just make room for those additional lanes.

It would be nice if this was a full stack, but the reality is Oklahoma can't afford it. It would take additional right of way and money to make that happen. The additional levels would have to start further back to still have a proper incline and the number and size of the piers would cost more. It would probably be double the cost at least.
    Agree. But it will cost way more down the road. Kinda like the Turnpike/Hefner Parkway interchange mess. To go from turnpike eastbound to Hef Parkway southbound requires one to get off on side road (mem) and then navigate over all lanes and then stop at light. Turn right and get back up to speed to merge onto parkway. We are always 2 steps behind lol.

Now, what is OTA and ODOT going to do to combat the traffic backup at the Kirkpatrick? For years, the I-44 bottleneck slowed the traffic at 235 and Kirkpatrick. Without this slowdown, more traffic will arrive at this interchange causing more congestion.

With 122nd merging N and a majority of the traffic getting on the turnpike and no one knowing how to merge, traffic currently backs up for a mile or two. What can be anticipated after I-44/235 is complete?

Could a possible solution be to modify the 122nd to North 235 by having the merge area North of the Kirkpatrick entry?

Thread Information