Widgets Magazine
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 383940414243
Results 1,051 to 1,074 of 1074

Thread: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Default Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

^

Yes, lots of memories but it's been closed to the public for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    These are the Oklahomans Forbes lists as Oklahoma billionaires:

Harold Hamm
    George Kaiser
    David Green & family
    Judy Love & family
    Lynn Schusterman & family
    Chad Richison.

The wealthiest Oklahoman ranks 102nd.

ALL the wealth of the OK billionaires is listed at $63.1 billion which is right at 50% of the wealth of Balmer alone. And all OK billionaires are not owners of the Thunder. So this thinking that the Thunder is somehow financially the same as the Clippers doesn’t wash. To think the OKC market is the same as LA doesn’t wash. We can dream, but we shouldn’t hallucinate.
    they don't' have really any way to track private wealth ..

3. Default Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I'm finding I'm having mixed emotions now that there's official word on the demo of the Myriad (it will always be the Myriad to me).

My high school graduation was there, saw lots of Blazers games, rodeos, concerts, meetings, etc. I'm a bit sad because of what it represented with MAPs. It's own realization (paint job included) signaled the start of change. It was the start of life coming back downtown with all the MAPs programs, even before the arena was started.
    Same. Tons of memories in the Myriad. Happy to see a new arena though. Just shows all the growth I have seen over the past 40 years of being here.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I'm finding I'm having mixed emotions now that there's official word on the demo of the Myriad (it will always be the Myriad to me).

My high school graduation was there, saw lots of Blazers games, rodeos, concerts, meetings, etc. I'm a bit sad because of what it represented with MAPs. Its own realization (paint job included) signaled the start of change. It was the start of life coming back downtown with all the MAPs programs, even before the arena was started.
    it would be sad if it had any architectural value and don’t walk or drive by it everyday.

5. Default Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

What Brutalist isn't your style? LOL. I get it. It's definitely not an inspiring structure in any way....inside or out. Just happens to be what we had so the memories are tied to it. Sort of like the State Fair Arena. It's ugly as sin and always has been, but how many Disney on Ice and Circus' have we all watched there over our lives?

Sad, but time to move on. Excited for the next era.

Blog Entries

MAPS4 Re: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Almost like an advertisement for Populous.

While they are a great firm, I hope OKC doesn't go with them just because of familiarity. If they have the best designs, sure. But I want a fair process. Populous does great work, but I would presume the other 6 do, as well.

My sister-in-law is a friend of Judy Love's. She spends a lot of time at her house. She said it is hard to fathom how much money she has and if she wants anything she will just get it no matter the cost but also she's surprised how tight she is. I have heard stories about how she will make her maid spend an hour scrubbing something already worn until only a little cleaner which would only cost $5 to replace. That's why she'd never contribute to an arena. She could go spend $200 million and not even make a mark on her bank account. She's like Warren Buffet.

Any chance the City can get a BOGO 50% off for demolition of the Myriad/Cox Center and State Fair Arena since they will be removed within the same time period?

^

It's obviously a competitive bidding situation and it seems Midwest Wrecking gets 98% of these contracts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    These are the Oklahomans Forbes lists as Oklahoma billionaires:

Harold Hamm
    George Kaiser
    David Green & family
    Judy Love & family
    Lynn Schusterman & family
    Chad Richison.

The wealthiest Oklahoman ranks 102nd.

ALL the wealth of the OK billionaires is listed at $63.1 billion which is right at 50% of the wealth of Balmer alone. And all OK billionaires are not owners of the Thunder. So this thinking that the Thunder is somehow financially the same as the Clippers doesn’t wash. To think the OKC market is the same as LA doesn’t wash. We can dream, but we shouldn’t hallucinate.
    This is true, Rover. Especially when you compare OKC's market to LAs and Ballmer's wealth to Oklahoma's ownership and the rest of the NBA.

That's why IMO a $1 billion arena in downtown OKC on the PSM 4-square block site will get us what is comparable to Ballmer's $2 billion Intuit Dome because land and construction costs in LA metro costs more than land-construction costs in Oklahoma City.

There are going to be some concerns about whatever design features Populous or whatever firm is selected to design our new arena. It will have a minimum of 750,000 sq., ft or more--provides more room than the current Paycom Center with money-making amenities.

My preference (18,500 seating, less than the 19,000 NBA average) is that the new arena exceeds the current 18,200 capacity; sure we'll have an anchor tenant (41 - 50 or more nights) in the Thunder with more when you factor in the OKC Blue's 16 or more nights.

Make our city more competitive in bidding on other events like NCAA basketball regionals and some major conventions that require an arena.

Our metro population is estimated around 1.5 million (42nd) with an inner city of 710,000 (20th). We need to become more attractive to luring more high paying jobs and continue with beautifications efforts.

CAA ICON is the project consultant

CAA ICON Venue Group selected to consult on OKC arena construction
    Post Date:09/24/2024 11:40 AM
    Today, the Oklahoma City Council approved an agreement with CAA ICON to provide professional consulting services for the design and construction of the City’s new arena.

“The construction of the arena is an extremely important four-year-long project for the City,” Director David Todd said. “It requires more manpower and specific expertise in professional event facility design and construction than what the City has.”

CAA ICON, a division of CAA Sports, is a strategic management consulting firm for public/private sports and entertainment facility owners and operators, professional franchises and leagues. The company has offices in Denver, Charlotte, Manhattan and London.
    https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/...ce=govdelivery

They have worked on most of the recent arenas built, especially the NBA arenas.

Blog Entries

Allegiant Stadium, NFL Las Vegas, Home of the Raiders.

CAA ICON Venue Group: https://www.caaicon.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Allegiant Stadium, NFL Las Vegas, Home of the Raiders.

CAA ICON Venue Group: https://www.caaicon.com/

Oklahoma City already has Barad-dûr and the Eye of Sauron, why not add the Hall of Doom,

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Oklahoma City already has Barad-dûr and the Eye of Sauron, why not add the Hall of Doom,

Why not an open-air coliseum with tigers that pop out from underneath the floor of the arena? I bet we could even flood it and have jet ski races!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Looks like they selected a winner for consulting services for the design and construction of the City’s new arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post

How about Hall of Thunderdoom!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Did Nice and Hamon provide a rationale or are they planning to vote no on everything associated with the project?
    One of their rationales IIRC is that the City should be addressing the 'affordable housing and homeless situation.'

MAPS 4 has $50 million in its budget earmarked for housing; some of the abandoned housing projects in our city could be brought up to code to meet the specifications for Section 8 housing--better than having a vacant boarded up housing project which could become an invitation for vagrants to occupy--thus becoming a potential health and fire hazard.

I guess 70 some percent approval by the voters doesn't resonate with them ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I guess 70 some percent approval by the voters doesn't resonate with them ?
    Apparently it doesn't resonate with them. Does Harmon have a driver's license or is she still using public and
    Urber for transportation?

I have no problem with Harmon or Nice as representatives. It's their responsibility to look out for the interests of
    our city--ask the right questions, they shouldn't be a 'rubber stamp' council, we elected them to voice their concerns.

Now let's see some designs and specs on our proposed arena. Boulder-Sooner my friend, chim in . . .

Blog Entries

Sitting here thinking about the proposed new downtown arena. Suddenly it occurred to me The Myriad Convention Center, our first near big league arena will be gone. The official grand opening featuring 'Della Reese' who stayed around and personally talked to fans and admirers. My mom (Frankie Lee), GRHS was a fan of Mrs. Reese when 'mother' lived in Chicago.

I'm going to miss the Myriad, the concerts (Luther Vandross & Anita Baker, Rush, Jackson 5, Rick Springfield, David Bowie, Gladys Knight & the Pips), The Circus, PBR tour and the NFR the memories go on an on.

Thank God we saved the Municipal Auditorium (Civic Center Music Hall); All College Tournament--DePaul, Loyola of Chicago, OCU, Villanova . . .); also hosted James Brown and the Famous Flames, the Shrine Circus and Greatest Show on Earth, Annual Wrestling Danny Hodge, Great Bolo, Angelo Sovoli, Karl & Sashi Kreser, 'Dandy' Jack Donovan, Irish Mike Clancy, Tiny (who was 7 ft, 290 lbs . . . help me out Bill Robertson . . .

Don't want to watch the DEMO of this arena--OMG it will be painful; comparable to watching the implosion of the 600 room Sheraton Hotel.

Blog Entries

Should be hearing of some updates on the new arena on the 4 square block site; what's this about a 650 space garage and transit...

...the demolition doesn't seem to favor saving or savaging anything on the current site like the underground parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Should be hearing of some updates on the new arena on the 4 square block site; what's this about a 650 space garage and transit...

...the demolition doesn't seem to favor saving or savaging anything on the current site like the underground parking garage.
    It would be nice if the utilized the parking garage underneath to have the arena floor lower into the ground. I think it would make getting in and out easier with people coming in on the 200 level versus the 100. You can split the traffic into three separate directions versus one.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    It would be nice if the utilized the parking garage underneath to have the arena floor lower into the ground. I think it would make getting in and out easier with people coming in on the 200 level versus the 100. You can split the traffic into three separate directions versus one.
    I believe that is the plan to have the main concourse on the 1st floor.

Thread Information