Widgets Magazine
Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1092

Thread: Covid-19 News and Information

1. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Well. Our only family is my wife's brother and SIL and their two daughters. Thanksgiving got cancelled because the SIL had COVID. We're not going for Christmas because I just tested positive. I have very, very minor symptoms but tested because our SIL's mother will be there. We didn't cancel any holiday get togethers in '21 or '22! What a virus.
    Sorry you need to cancel, and hopefully the symptoms don't get any worse for you.
    Definitely weird how things have been cancelled with people testing positive. I'm glad to hear testing is still happening.

Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

AARP has recommended that of you are over 50 you should have your 8th COVID vaccine shot. I know that there are older people on this form and if you are a person who is staying up to date or catching up on the vaccine doses the new number is 8 and is expected to up over time.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    AARP has recommended that of you are over 50 you should have your 8th COVID vaccine shot. I know that there are older people on this form and if you are a person who is staying up to date or catching up on the vaccine doses the new number is 8 and is expected to up over time.
    Weird. Kind of like an annual vaccine like the flu, in spite of how you try to frame it.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Weird. Kind of like an annual vaccine like the flu, in spite of how you try to frame it.
    Exactly, I am 100% in favor of people taking as many vaccine doses as recommended if they are the type of person takes these shots. Hangry I hope you in particular stay up to update on your vaccine every single year.

CDC now saying no need to quarantine or stay home even with a positive
    Basically treat it like the flu

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna141317

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

In reality, this could probably have been the case for a year or two now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    In reality, this could probably have been the case for a year or two now.
    Don’t tell that to Steve Lackmeyer

8. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

It won't count in any statistics but people are still dying from long term covid. RIP to my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It won't count in any statistics but people are still dying from long term covid. RIP to my brother.
    i'm very sorry for your loss, Mug...

10. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Thank you.

Hard to believe this was four years ago next week...the night everything changed.

March 11, 2020.

12. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Hard to believe this was four years ago next week...the night everything changed.

March 11, 2020.

One of those times that I will always remember where I was that minute.

One of those times that I will always remember where I was that minute.
    On a recent episode of Chris Hayes' podcast Why Is This Happening? with Eric Klinenberg, who recently published a book recounting stories of individuals during the peak of COVID, he said the #1 thing everyone he spoke with told him about their core memory of COVID beginning, without any prompting or options, was that Thunder game.

I remember living through the covid time, no one wanted to hear anything against the dominant online narrative. Now afterwards so many of the same people will pretend that they were always skeptical of some of the more extreme claims. It is a lot like the Iraq narrative. Originally people fell in line with the ideas being proposed before the invasion, and now years after 1991 the same people will tell me they had their doubts. I think vast majority of people just want to be left alone so they can get on with their lives. If that means they are required need to believe "X" then they will believe "x" so they can carry on with their lives.

I remember living through the covid time, no one wanted to hear anything against the dominant online narrative. Now afterwards so many of the same people will pretend that they were always skeptical of some of the more extreme claims.
    so so so true ..

I remember living through the covid time, no one wanted to hear anything against the dominant online narrative. Now afterwards so many of the same people will pretend that they were always skeptical of some of the more extreme claims. It is a lot like the Iraq narrative. Originally people fell in line with the ideas being proposed before the invasion, and now years after 1991 the same people will tell me they had their doubts. I think vast majority of people just want to be left alone so they can get on with their lives. If that means they are required need to believe "X" then they will believe "x" so they can carry on with their lives.
    You continue to be weird. It’s like you didn’t watch a novel virus evolve right before you.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    You continue to be weird. It’s like you didn’t watch a novel virus evolve right before you.
    But only one side of the narrative was considered sane or even deemed worthy of hearing. It's a novel virus, so one-sided arguments seem lazy, to me. But we got those for 3 years, if not longer.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    But only one side of the narrative was considered sane or even deemed worthy of hearing. It's a novel virus, so one-sided arguments seem lazy, to me. But we got those for 3 years, if not longer.
    I think a not-so-small amount of that is the social media effect where everything is extremely overstated and observed in a vacuum while the complexities of reality are beyond what that medium usually encourages. I personally know and love people that would be labeled all sorts of things if you saw their social media posts but when we talk in person, there is far more nuance that gets lost when they share superficial snippets of their deeper thoughts online.

I recently came down with covid for the 3rd time. I assume I got it while checking out Wednesday Karaoke Night at George's, Stillwater. The place was nearly packed. The bartender said it's been worse before when they had to stop letting more people in. The singing wasn't good, and I was out of there in about an hour. On Sat. the typical symptoms of past covid had creeped in, irritated throat, frequent coughing (Mucinex only helped some) and achy with fever. I went to the doctor on Sunday. Had fever of 100.1. This time I was also tested for Flu A & B, in addition to covid. Tests came back negative for flu, but to no surprise positive for covid. Like last time, I was prescribed Paxlovid. I was also advised to take several vitamins to strengthen my immunity system, C, D3, zinc. Monday night, I started feeling better and by Wednesday was practically over it.

I was surprised by the high cost of Paxlovid--$1699. Fortunately, my insurance covered it.

It's amazingly unfortunate how some people can get hit very hard by covid. In 2021 my older brother was in the hospital over it for 28 days. I'm sorry for those who had friends or relatives who fared worse and died.

My friend ridiculed me for not getting boosters and boasted since getting vaccinated and 3 boosters hasn't had covid since, even though she sometimes goes to crowded places, like George's. Her only bout with covid happened before vaccines were widely available. Anyway, I expect now to have natural immunity from covid that will last for close to a year and a half. I might reconsider getting a booster next year.

20. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I recently came down with covid for the 3rd time. I assume I got it while checking out Wednesday Karaoke Night at George's, Stillwater. The place was nearly packed. The bartender said it's been worse before when they had to stop letting more people in. The singing wasn't good, and I was out of there in about an hour. On Sat. the typical symptoms of past covid had creeped in, irritated throat, frequent coughing (Mucinex only helped some) and achy with fever. I went to the doctor on Sunday. Had fever of 100.1. This time I was also tested for Flu A & B, in addition to covid. Tests came back negative for flu, but to no surprise positive for covid. Like last time, I was prescribed Paxlovid. I was also advised to take several vitamins to strengthen my immunity system, C, D3, zinc. Monday night, I started feeling better and by Wednesday was practically over it.

I was surprised by the high cost of Paxlovid--$1699. Fortunately, my insurance covered it.

It's amazingly unfortunate how some people can get hit very hard by covid. In 2021 my older brother was in the hospital over it for 28 days. I'm sorry for those who had friends or relatives who fared worse and died.

My friend ridiculed me for not getting boosters and boasted since getting vaccinated and 3 boosters hasn't had covid since, even though she sometimes goes to crowded places, like George's. Her only bout with covid happened before vaccines were widely available. Anyway, I expect now to have natural immunity from covid that will last for close to a year and a half. I might reconsider getting a booster next year.
    I really wonder about immunity. My wife and I have had every booster. Last one was in November. We both got COVID the week after Christmas. Her 3rd time. My 4th. I'm still going to get any booster offered.

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    You continue to be weird. ItĀ’s like you didnĀ’t watch a novel virus evolve right before you.
    No, I watched it and read the medical studies. Often times the information I was working with was weeks or even months newer than what was commonly espoused by the general public.

I think the function was something like, scientific study, government body discusses the study, the internet interperates the study for the masses in those echo chambers, then wait 2 weeks to 3 months to let the results of a study trickle out into society.

This method as its pros and cons, for instance one week I could publish the finding of a study saying X. Some one online would say that isn't true because of study Y (conducted on an older variant). Then I would see that same person site my opinion or study 3 months later to a different person.

My conclusion as stated above is that the vast majority of people will conform to whatever the dominant narrative is at the time. I assume it is because they would rather be left alone than deal with any social friction. But there are other opinions available. I hope this explains my observations.

I really wonder about immunity. My wife and I have had every booster. Last one was in November. We both got COVID the week after Christmas. Her 3rd time. My 4th. I'm still going to get any booster offered.
    the USA one of the only countries in the world that wants people to still take boosters ..

the USA one of the only countries in the world that wants people to still take boosters ..
    i mean i guess if you don't count every country in the EU, Canada, the UK, Australia, and a had full of others , then yes, the USA is one of the only ones.

No, I watched it and read the medical studies. Often times the information I was working with was weeks or even months newer than what was commonly espoused by the general public.

I think the function was something like, scientific study, government body discusses the study, the internet interperates the study for the masses in those echo chambers, then wait 2 weeks to 3 months to let the results of a study trickle out into society.

This method as its pros and cons, for instance one week I could publish the finding of a study saying X. Some one online would say that isn't true because of study Y (conducted on an older variant). Then I would see that same person site my opinion or study 3 months later to a different person.

My conclusion as stated above is that the vast majority of people will conform to whatever the dominant narrative is at the time. I assume it is because they would rather be left alone than deal with any social friction. But there are other opinions available. I hope this explains my observations.
    The whole response from governments, private businesses, the media, social media and the public as a whole is going to make for a really interesting human behavioral study at some point.

This was far from an America-only experience.

Every single country had to try and figure out what to do every step of the way while having no idea where this would all lead as millions of people were dying.

People here want to paint the U.S. as an outlier and even an example of the government overreaching and the populace often overreacting, but you have to view everything from a global perspective. And when you do, you'll see we were about in the middle in how most things were handled.

Thread Information