Widgets Magazine
Page 43 of 141 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474893 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 3525

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Well, most of those results look to be about political party access and such... when it comes to petition access/process I don't think we're even in the bottom 25 (or 35 at that).

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Well, most of those results look to be about political party access and such... when it comes to petition access/process I don't think we're even in the bottom 25 (or 35 at that).
    OK, here's some more specific links about putting questions on the ballot, amending the constitution, etc. Not one of the worst, but still bad, or at least used to be. Moot point, probably, due to the changes.

Initiative Petitions | Oklahomans For Ballot Access Reform

Criticism Ignites Over "Impossible" Oklahoma Petition Demands - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Oklahoma initiative petition process needs to change | News OK

Well, most of those results look to be about political party access and such.
    YES. The Oklahoma Libertarian Party now has enough signatures collected to get on the ballot. They are using the time they have left before tuning in signatures to pad the total to make up for bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    OK, here's some more specific links about putting questions on the ballot, amending the constitution, etc. Not one of the worst, but still bad, or at least used to be. Moot point, probably, due to the changes.

Initiative Petitions | Oklahomans For Ballot Access Reform

Criticism Ignites Over "Impossible" Oklahoma Petition Demands - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Oklahoma initiative petition process needs to change | News OK
    Oklahomans For Health are pondering a new strategy by putting two petitions out at once this spring. One would make legalizing medical marijuana as a new state statute, so would only require getting 64,000 signatures. I think that would be very doable. The other petition would ease requirements of a petition, such as extending the deadline to 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Oklahomans For Health are pondering a new strategy by putting two petitions out at once this spring. One would make legalizing medical marijuana as a new state statute, so would only require getting 64,000 signatures. I think that would be very doable. The other petition would ease requirements of a petition, such as extending the deadline to 1 year.
    That's a good idea, the time limit to gather signatures is, I think, the one big thing that's keeping petitions from being successful - 90 days, while some states have waaaaay longer than that.

YES. The Oklahoma Libertarian Party now has enough signatures collected to get on the ballot. They are using the time they have left before tuning in signatures to pad the total to make up for bad ones.
    I've always sort of wondered, from an organizational standpoint, if there's a way to address this better on the front end. Yes, lower requirements make it easier to hit the goals even with "bad" signatures. I'm just always shocked how many bad signatures petitions end up with. Are people intentionally screwing with the petitioners, or is it a matter of legibility or following directions while collecting information?

7. Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Not getting into the politics of this, but I was in Oregon this week and dispensaries were EVERYWHERE. I was in Colorado right after it became (state) legal, but the dispensaries were still converting from medical-only and not up to speed. Oregon seems much further along for a place that only recently legalized recreational use; probably because they were more prepared than Colorado was at the time it passed there.

Anyway - and for the record I don't smoke or otherwise consume pot, haven't in decades nor do I plan to - but I did go into a dispensary out of curiosity. It was a pretty fascinating visit. The relative I was visiting does consume, so I watched his transaction.

First of all, the aroma of the place was overwhelmingly pungent. As in, I could smell it strongly outside in the sidewalk.

Second, the anteroom was crowded with people waiting to go into the actual store. They asked if you had a medical card, and if you did you were given immediate access. If you were a recreational user, you waited your turn to go in. At least in this location, this was so that they could keep down the number of people inside so that it didn't become stressful. The lady in the lobby explained that a number of medical users suffer from PTSD or similar afflictions, and that they wanted to keep a low-key environment out of respect for them.

When we finally got inside, it was pretty crazy to see so much weed. It was all kept in locking top sealed jars, inside of glass display counters. The people behind the counter were pretty knowledgeable regarding potency, effects, etc.. I was surprised by how specialized each variety was. They would open jars and set them on counters, where you could inspect, pick up the jar, sniff. They were even cool with me photographing it, which I did. You could not touch the actual product, however, so as to not contaminate it.

I didn't pay too much attention to prices, etc., as mostly I was just interested in how the whole thing worked, and since I wasn't buying anything.

They had a few edibles in a cooler, but they were only for medical users. I got the impression that this was mostly due to lack of of availability owing to just recently passing recreational use. From what I've heard the edibles in Colorado are super-plentiful and varied.

Anyway, the whole thing was interesting.

Funny, I tried checking in on this a couple months ago and swear I couldn't find any updates on this.
    I was going to sign the Libertarian AND Green parties ballots but never once saw or heard of where they were. Unless it was all online (is that legal for a petition like this?).

Also, I got to thinking about this next upcoming petition drive and something that concerned me.
    At what point will people become fatigued and say "ah, heck, they've been trying this for a couple years now, they'll never get enough signatures"?? I fear this is a totally possible scenario given the overall lack of awareness people have in this state.

Can we hope third time will be a charm?

Oh and I mentioned a while back that I had contacted my rep and sen regarding marijuana legalization and didn't.hear.one.word.back.

I also emailed Pruitt requesting him to stand down on his lawsuits. I requested a response and never received one. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Funny, I tried checking in on this a couple months ago and swear I couldn't find any updates on this.
    I was going to sign the Libertarian AND Green parties ballots but never once saw or heard of where they were. Unless it was all online (is that legal for a petition like this?).

Also, I got to thinking about this next upcoming petition drive and something that concerned me.
    At what point will people become fatigued and say "ah, heck, they've been trying this for a couple years now, they'll never get enough signatures"?? I fear this is a totally possible scenario given the overall lack of awareness people have in this state.

Can we hope third time will be a charm?

Oh and I mentioned a while back that I had contacted my rep and sen regarding marijuana legalization and didn't.hear.one.word.back.

I also emailed Pruitt requesting him to stand down on his lawsuits. I requested a response and never received one. Go figure.
    Here's the info about the Libertarian Party petition - Libertarian Party of Oklahoma

I think the medical marijuana one is at http://greenthevote.org (or greenthevoteok.org)

And yeah, I've been contacting my senator and rep (and AG) about all the stupid bills that've been proposed (and the AG's idiot lawsuit), heard the same as you - crickets.......................

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Here's the info about the Libertarian Party petition - Libertarian Party of Oklahoma

I think the medical marijuana one is at http://greenthevote.org (or greenthevoteok.org)

And yeah, I've been contacting my senator and rep (and AG) about all the stupid bills that've been proposed (and the AG's idiot lawsuit), heard the same as you - crickets.......................
    Green the Vote is now out of it for the time being as far as another petition, following their failure to get enough signatures to vote on legalizing medical marijuana as of late December. Oklahomans For Health with the Oklahoma Cannabis Coalition will step back up to the plate when they will soon submit a new petition for medical marijuana. They will be holding their 2nd meeting to further discuss plans on Feb. 13 in Stillwater at the Payne County Democrats HQ at 302 N. Main from 3 to 6pm. The first meeting was held last month at Will Rogers Park in OKC. Former State Sen. Connie Johnson, former State Rep. Joe Dorman, Green the Vote President Isaac Caviness, and close to 75 activists attended that meeting.

The strategy for success with the upcoming new medical marijuana petition is to go for a statute creation, since only around 62,000 signatures are required. The hiring of paid signature takers is not currently planned. Two previous medical marijuana petitions gathered 70,000 and 75,000 signatures without a great deal of funding, so it should be doable. But getting up to 86,000 signatures for padding will be the goal.

https://www.oklahomansforhealth.com/

https://www.facebook.com/events/576675565818180/

Get on the phones, emails, etc. etc. etc.

HB 2835 by Rep. Echols:

"HB 2835 removes the age restriction on the use of cannabidiol to allow a person of any age who is participating in a clinical trial for the treatment of severe forms of epilepsy or who have received a written certification from a physician that the person has been diagnosed with certain conditions not adequately treated by traditional medical therapies. The measure includes Alzheimer’s disease, dementia or post-traumatic stress disorder as conditions which may use this treatment option."

Bill Information

———

HB 2251 by Rep. Renegar

"An Act relating to public health and safety; amending 63 O.S. 2011, Section 2-101, as last amended by Section 2, Chapter 203, O.S.L. 2015 (63 O.S. Supp. 2015, Section 2-101), which relates to definitions of the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Act; modifying certain definition; adding definition; amending Sections 3 and 4, Chapter 203, O.S.L. 2015 (63 O.S. Supp. 2015, Sections 2-801 and 2-802), which relate to definitions and clinical trials relating to the use of cannabidiol; modifying certain definition; adding definition; authorizing new drug applications to conduct clinical trials using cannabidiol for certain conditions; and providing an effective date."

Bill Information

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Get on the phones, emails, etc. etc. etc.

HB 2835 by Rep. Echols:

"HB 2835 removes the age restriction on the use of cannabidiol to allow a person of any age who is participating in a clinical trial for the treatment of severe forms of epilepsy or who have received a written certification from a physician that the person has been diagnosed with certain conditions not adequately treated by traditional medical therapies. The measure includes Alzheimer’s disease, dementia or post-traumatic stress disorder as conditions which may use this treatment option."

Bill Information

———
    In his attempt to practice medicine without a license, I wonder what led Rep. Echols to reason how it had become okay to include adults with Alzheimer’s disease, severe epilepsy, dementia and post-traumatic stress disorder? A young gentleman with Crohn's disease told me his doctor would suggest he try medical marijuana, if it was legal. So from his unlicensed medical wisdom, what does Rep. Echols have against people with Chron's disease using medical marijuana, whether or not it contains no more than .3% THC?

For an update, the medical marijuana petition will be submitted to the Secretary of State on April 12. Joe Dorman will hold a news conference about it then. He was recently made a board member of Oklahomans For Health.

Also Oklahomans For Health will have another petition at the same time. It will reform the petition process in three ways:

1. Lengthen time to get required number of signature from 90 days to 1 year.
    2. Allow use of standard sized typing paper for petitions, rather than legal sized paper.
    3. Require a 75% majority in the state house and senate to throw out or modify a successfully passed voter initiative.

I really hope this passes. I will spread the word!

Green the Vote was pissed because legalizing hemp growing wasn't included on the petition. They are also skeptical about the legislature leaving it alone should it pass. While the group isn't officially endorsing the petition, it doesn't mind if their individual supporters want to get signatures.

O4H didn't want hemp on it due to fear it would violate the more than one subject rule and could invite corporate opposition not wanting hemp legalized.

The actual petition can be read here: https://www.sos.ok.gov/documents/questions/788.pdf

Any media story that says a medical marijuana user must be at least 25 years of age is wrong. All ages are eligible.

Their other petition to loosen petition requirements is here: https://www.sos.ok.gov/documents/questions/787.pdf

OBN Spokesman, Mark Woodward still sucks big time about the issue: Medical marijuana supporters believe support for legalization high | News | stwnewspress.com

OBN Spokesman, Mark Woodward still sucks big time about the issue: Medical marijuana supporters believe support for legalization high | News | stwnewspress.com
    Eh, he's not wrong though. No matter how you feel about legalization, if you think that the whole "medical marijuana" push is about helping sick people, and not about progressing to full legalization for recreational use, you're fooling yourself.

Since it's 4/20 this seems appropriate

Eh, he's not wrong though. No matter how you feel about legalization, if you think that the whole "medical marijuana" push is about helping sick people, and not about progressing to full legalization for recreational use, you're fooling yourself.
    So everybody that wants medical marijuana legalized just wants to get stoned legally and doesn't really care about all the sick people that medical marijuana could (and has) help(ed)?

Thread Information