Widgets Magazine
Page 42 of 149 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464792142 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 3721

Thread: Scissortail Park

Default Re: Central Park

My advice to fellow Millinenials is to develop plans and visions for MAPS 4 and get yourself appointed to the oversight committee that are created to oversee whatever it is.

Look at John Dodson. What he is doing over on Classen Boulevard will probably end up in the next MAPS or GO Bond vote if he sticks with it.

I am developing plans for more streetcar and light rail.

If you want a Brooklynesque stone bridge in the new park, start advocating now. This city has absolutely no problem tearing out brand new infrastructure and building something else. It often feels like to me we have a continuous "shovel ready" program where anything can be dynamited at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    My advice to fellow Millinenials is to develop plans and visions for MAPS 4 and get yourself appointed to the oversight committee that are created to oversee whatever it is.

Look at John Dodson. What he is doing over on Classen Boulevard will probably end up in the next MAPS or GO Bond vote if he sticks with it.

If you want a Brooklynesque stone bridge in the new park, start advocating now. This city has absolutely no problem tearing out brand new infrastructure and building something else. It often feels like to me we have a continuous "shovel ready" program where anything can be dynamited at any time.
    aren't they spending a lot of money to build new sidewalks where they are going to be torn out in a few years for the park?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post

I totally agree. Instead of just observing or complaining on web sites and in coffee houses or in bars, take the good ideas and turn them into political activism. I think sometimes we get the victim attitude way too quickly. If it is time to kick out the establishment, then get to work and do that. It really doesn't take that many votes to win council seats and it is possible to get on boards, etc. Having great ideas doesn't create change. Actions create change. Don't just be against things, work FOR things.

4. Default Re: Central Park

Jon Dodson is a GenXer. Sorry, UP. There ARE a couple of us kicking around OKC.

LOLZ. I did not know that.

Default Re: Goodbye downtown postal facility

According to NewsOk, MAPS 3 board approved several hundred thousand to reconstruct Hudson Ave. for the new Convention Center and Central Park

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152643044160794

The roads around that park are atrocious.

I'm sure they'll pretty much have to rebuild Robinson as well.

I'm glad they're doing it. Just curious though if 300,000 is enough. Are they just doing asphalt or are they going to do it right with cement?

ODOT and Oklahoma seem to go with asphalt almost always. It ensures that it will require lots of future repairs and keep them busy. Oklahoma and ODOT cheap out on our highways while other states do things correctly from the design to the surface. I think ODOT is corrupt in my opinion, but who knows, maybe they aren't.

There is money in the park budget for the streetscapes along the park itself, so that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by soondoc View Post
    ODOT and Oklahoma seem to go with asphalt almost always. It ensures that it will require lots of future repairs and keep them busy. Oklahoma and ODOT cheap out on our highways while other states do things correctly from the design to the surface. I think ODOT is corrupt in my opinion, but who knows, maybe they aren't.
    Florida uses asphalt in a large majority of their streets and highways. They don't have the extreme toe rather variations that we do, however.

Asphalt is cheaper up front but needs to be replaced or at the very least resurfaced more often.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Florida uses asphalt in a large majority of their streets and highways. They don't have the extreme toe rather variations that we do, however.

Asphalt is cheaper up front but needs to be replaced or at the very least resurfaced more often.
    ODOT has mainly been using cement is seems lately, but I don't understand why the would do something like use cement for the new Crosstown then use asphalt for the service roads... it makes no sense. Same thing with the new Norman I-35. they used cement for Main St. and the overpass, than went with asphalt for the highway. I don't understand why that is.

Cement looks better, last longer in most cases, and is more durable.

The decrease in the price of Oil should decrease the cost of asphalt significantly, correct?

Concrete is pretty much mandated with anything using federal funding, such as the new I-40.

But the City generally cheaps out on everything else by using asphalt.

One of the reasons for the P180 crosswalk painting snafu was that the City selected the same paint they use on asphalt and it didn't stick properly to concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Concrete is pretty much mandated with anything using federal funding, such as the new I-40.

But the City generally cheaps out on everything else by using asphalt.

One of the reasons for the P180 crosswalk painting snafu was that the City selected the same paint they use on asphalt and it didn't stick properly to concrete.
    I have been pleasantly surprised though, much of the new roads in northwest OKC that have been widened have been reconstructed in cement. The new Portland alignment by the airport is cement to. New if we can just get the city to add medians and turn lanes, we'll be getting somewhere!

Makes sense about the new Crosstown. But why did they use asphalt for the service roads?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ODOT has mainly been using cement is seems lately, but I don't understand why the would do something like use cement for the new Crosstown then use asphalt for the service roads... it makes no sense. Same thing with the new Norman I-35. they used cement for Main St. and the overpass, than went with asphalt for the highway. I don't understand why that is.

Cement looks better, last longer in most cases, and is more durable.
    It's simple in my mind. They spend less and get to come back in a couple years and close off part of the highway so they can re-do it. It is part of a vicious cycle that the state has done for years. It is the reason why we have some of the worst roads in America and people comment about it all the time. In other states, they spend more up front so it doesn't cost more later. In OK, we cheap out and pay more later, and later, and later, and later, and you get the point. ODOT knows this, but it is in their interest to keep it the same. MONEY!

Default Re: Goodbye downtown postal facility

From William Crum

The MAPS 3 Citizens Advisory Board voted Thursday in favor of spending $390,000 to get started on reconstructing Hudson Avenue on the park’s west side and installing a new sewer line through the park.

It’s the sewer line that will create the giant hole, along what is now SW 7 Street.

The 90-inch sewer line will be installed 20 feet below ground in a trench up to 30 feet wide, said David Todd, the MAPS 3 program manager.

For perspective, a 90-inch sewer line is just shy of 8 feet in circumference, the height of many living room ceilings.

Todd said the sewer line will be installed in anticipation of new development in a southwest downtown neighborhood comprising about 24 square blocks. Tearing up the park to install the line in five years would make no sense, he said.

Planners anticipate development in an area west of the park, defined by Hudson Avenue on the east, Western Avenue on the west, Interstate 40 to the south, and the new downtown boulevard to the north.

Edges of the neighborhood along Hudson, closest to the park, are included in architects’ drawings of what’s being called the Convention Center District.

The new district is expected to grow around the 40-acre upper park, with its lake and fountains, and near the MAPS 3 convention center being built between the new park and Myriad Botanical Gardens.

Looking south from the Devon Energy tower to the Oklahoma River in five years, the view will include Myriad Gardens, the glass-enclosed convention center, the upper park, the SkyDance bridge, and the lower park, expected to offer a natural setting for walking and bicycling.

New development along Robinson and Hudson avenues adjacent to the park is expected to include homes, retail businesses, offices and hotels.

- Oklahoma City is getting ready for downtown growth | News OK

Here is a good summary of the phasing of the park, followed by some nice renderings of the lower park:

So there won't be any sports fields anymore?

Still looks amazing, and it becomes a more continuous park this way. If Wheeler Park is ever redeveloped there will be a severe need for youth sporting venues though.

Anybody know when they are going to tear down the old Salvation Army building?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Anybody know when they are going to tear down the old Salvation Army building?
    Very soon.

They just let the contracts.

I noticed out my office window that the demo has started on the old salvation army building.

Demolition has commenced on the old Salvation Army complex (thanks to jeep for the photos):

those demo pictures of the Salvation Army Building hurt my heart. I knew there was no hope of saving it but still, it was such a beautiful building.
    I was so completely surprised by it the first time I rode by it on my bike. such an unexpected gem...

Saw this update at the council meeting today so thought it would be good for reference and to keep everyone updated. http://www.okc.gov/councilnotes/2015...esentation.pdf
    At the very end it does show two graphics on why the film row building wouldn't work.https://youtu.be/U87hDMiF9lA?t=1h28m5s

Thread Information