Widgets Magazine
Page 42 of 98 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464792 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 2439

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Well, plupan, I have no doubt that we will have some dry spells this summer. I just don't buy into the fear mongering of some posters.
    Yeap I completely understand that. I don't even think we actually set a record high, but I could be wrong though. I'm sure we close to it. If Venture's forecast hold up we should be good this summer, or at least until June 17th. Really, I think it is weird that this thread is still "alive".

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    The sky is falling. The sky is falling.
    Whoops, no. That's flooding rains instead.
    Quick! Xeriscape your yard so you can be ready for that 7" rain!

Although the OKC metro area just got over 7 inches of rain in about 8 hours. This is on a very local scale. But it is great for replenishing water features here in OKC and points to the E and SE.

If Stars and Stripes Park isn't flooded, I'll be amazed. Driving by on Hefner Parkway today, it was an inch below the grass line...

It looks to be the highest, at a tower height of 1200.62, that it's been in the six-odd years the records go back online. Does anyone remember when it was higher, historically? At what height did the old spillway kick in?

Fort Cobb Lake is still lower than it should be. Luckily there are no river or pipes leading from it so it should still be a fun summer there. Lol

Everything west of U.S. 81 is still way below normal in terms of rain. Don't know why the dry line likes the U.S. 81 corridor this year. About half of Oklahoma is above Normal the other half is below normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Fort Cobb Lake is still lower than it should be. Luckily there are no river or pipes leading from it so it should still be a fun summer there. Lol

Everything west of U.S. 81 is still way below normal in terms of rain. Don't know why the dry line likes the U.S. 81 corridor this year. About half of Oklahoma is above Normal the other half is below normal.
    I wonder how much Canton Lake got over the last few days? Looked like there was a heavy storm pouring down on them at one point.City lakes are overflowing today.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post

Just strange weather patterns, many of the summers I lived in Austin every storm seemed to go north, from Temple to the Red River they would have flooding as did the San Antonio area south. There just seemed to be a bubble that caused the storms to split and go to either side of Austin. Lake Travis was 80 feet below average (not full) at some points, the Pedernales River looked like a creek. Of course when we did get rain, it was a flooding rain for a week and then another two years of drought.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    I wonder how much Canton Lake got over the last few days?
    Nil compared to the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Nil compared to the metro.
    Well that's a shame. I was hoping that they would get a few inches with these last storms. Maybe next week.

11. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Well that's a shame. I was hoping that they would get a few inches with these last storms. Maybe next week.
    Looks like Monday there should be a storm complex moving NW to SE forming up in SW KS and moving over NW OK...so there is hope they can start to get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    The Spirit of Canton Lake no doubt tore Westbrook's meniscus.
    Some people on the Facebook Lake Canton pages have been calling "Karma" on the tornados and floods too. I wonder if they think the same about their own plight, Lake Canton being empty, NW OK being in drought while most of the rest of the state isn't?

mkjeeves, you have obviously read my posts, and those were not from me, and not from most.

At least Lake Thunderbird is finally full.

Yes, I have friends at Norman, they were very worried. I am very happy they have a lake again.

16. Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post
    It looks to be the highest, at a tower height of 1200.62, that it's been in the six-odd years the records go back online. Does anyone remember when it was higher, historically? At what height did the old spillway kick in?
    I've had a boat in a wet slip at Hefner for 12 years. The highest I've ever seen it before was just touching the bottom of the concrete walkways of the marina. Saturday afternoon the water was about an inch from being over the top of the walkways. That would be about 6 to 8 inches higher than it's been in 12 years.

Nothing is more reassuring than basing future water usage on the results of record setting rainfall. Average water demand should always be measured against above average rainfall. That strategy can't miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Nothing is more reassuring than basing future water usage on the results of record setting rainfall. Average water demand should always be measured against above average rainfall. That strategy can't miss.
    Is anyone in this thread doing that?????

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Is anyone in this thread doing that?????
    Read the last 2 or 3 pages and decide for yourself. From my perspective I see people are saying - look the lake is full, and their analysis ends there. What they don't see is that the new water treatment plant can drain Hefner dry in 100 days.

Read the last 2 or 3 pages and decide for yourself. From my perspective I see people are saying - look the lake is full, and their analysis ends there. What they don't see is that the new water treatment plant can drain Hefner dry in 100 days.
    I don't take updates on current levels as an automatic assumption of future conditions.... I see one mention of it helping us through July by one poster, but otherwise it seems your building a bit of a bridge. Besides, most of the "tone" of this thread has been driven towards posting things to jab at law a bit...

Here are some photos from Sunday:

HangryHippo Guest

Those pictures are a sight for sore eyes.

a bit...? LOL!

261 days, assuming that the plant is putting out 100 million gallons per day and it's being used somewhere, and assuming zero water enters the lake. Neither of these things will happen.

As a point of reference, with only the water that went over the dam at Overholser this weekend, Lake Hefner could be filled by a third.

Saw a forecast that is predicting thunderstorms in NW Oklahoma. Hopefully Canton will get some relief.

Thread Information