Widgets Magazine
Page 42 of 141 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464792 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 3525

Thread: Cannabis

Default Re: Time to Legalize Cannabis for recreational and medicinal use.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    I'm going to email my legislators tonight endorsing medical marijuana legalization (for starters). It's time to start pressing the people we elect to make these, in my mind, necessary changes.
    The folks who've been handling the booths around Tulsa have vanished over the past week, I haven't seen them anywhere. They've either moved to entirely different areas or have given up now that it's December and we're lacking 80,000~ signatures.
    Die hard GTV President Issac Caviness has been at it on some busy Tulsa street corner this week during the evenings.

In Stillwater, since starting in late October, I've obtained nearly 500 signatures. Focusing only on OSU this week, since it's pre-finals week. Even an OSU cop on a bike signed. I'm disappointed by the lack of state wide signatures coming in, but will continue getting them for a while longer. If fewer people are still turning in signatures, it ups the chance I'll win a prize. I suspect lack of knowledge that there is a medical marijuana petition out, leading to lack of volunteers helps explain the low numbers coming in.

The raiding of pipe shops continues even though some of them have be illegal and they had to give back seized money and merchandise. I can understand the fight against synthetic pot but these raids that take other things and find no synthetic grass dont seem to be working out in the authorities favor. This latest one is in Norman.

Norman police raid pipe shop, seize items, owner says | NewsOK.com

I think the push is still going, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sharp uptick over the next 1-2 weeks, but I'm pretty sure if Bunty's numbers are accurate, then this isn't going to see the ballot next year.

Nonetheless, we should keep moving forward with it and definitely be contacting our legislators.

By the way, if I hear back from any of them, I'll probably post their response back so we can see how some of them are thinking.

It still blows my mind that people think cannabis should be sold in the black market.

Isaac Caviness with his Human Rights Award. It was received Thursday morning in the Oklahoma State Capitol. He is president of Green the Vote OK. The issue of legalizing medical marijuana in Oklahoma is a human rights issue!

His nomination: To Reaffirm Faith: Taking Part in Government

During his weekly preaching to the choir, Caveniss says the office has on hand 50,323 signatures as of Sunday. If only, it was just over 100,000, I think it would have encouraged new people to come out for signatures, hoping they could make a difference as well as Oklahoma state history.

Meanwhile, this development concerning AG Pruitt's marijuana related lawsuit:

Obama Administration Asks High Court To Reject Colorado Marijuana Case

President Barack Obama's administration asked the U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday to throw out a lawsuit filed by Oklahoma and Nebraska seeking to block Colorado's voter-approved law legalizing recreational marijuana use by adults.

In their challenge to Colorado's law, filed in December 2014, Nebraska and Oklahoma said marijuana is being smuggled across their borders and that drugs threaten the health and safety of children.

Nebraska and Oklahoma noted that marijuana remains illegal under federal law and said Colorado has created "a dangerous gap" in the federal drug control system.

Oklahoma and Nebraska's lawsuit was filed under a rarely used Supreme Court process, known as "original jurisdiction," in which the justices hear disputes between states that have not first been handled by lower courts.

U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli said in court papers filed on Wednesday that the case was not the type of dispute the court would normally hear.

"Entertaining the type of dispute here - essentially that one state's laws make it more likely that third parties will violate federal and state law in another state - would represent a substantial and unwarranted expansion of this court's original jurisdiction," Verrilli said.

The Obama administration has allowed states to experiment with marijuana legalization even though the drug remains illegal under federal law.

Colorado voters legalized recreational marijuana use in 2012. Washington state also voted the same year to legalize recreational marijuana use by adults. Oregon, Alaska and the District of Columbia followed suit in 2014.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-adminis....ory&soc_trk=fb

Pruitt Plans To Press On With Lawsuit Against Colorado Over Pot Laws | KGOU

It's because of stuff like this that I will be surprised if there is legal marijuana in Oklahoma any time sooner than 2050.

Hopefully this backfires and leads the federal government to reschedule cannabis.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Pruitt Plans To Press On With Lawsuit Against Colorado Over Pot Laws | KGOU

It's because of stuff like this that I will be surprised if there is legal marijuana in Oklahoma any time sooner than 2050.

Hopefully, this backfires and leads the federal government to reschedule cannabis.
    It would have to further backfire in that direction, since Oklahoma has a drug schedule as well.

Oklahoma was able to get an initiative on the ballot through a petition drive to vote on banning cockfighting in 2002. It was approved. The petition got 100,000 signatures, well more than required. The current Oklahoma medical marijuana petition doesn't have much over 50,000 signatures. What a pity how in this state people seem to have more passion for fighting roosters than sick people who need medical marijuana.

Meanwhile, might as will hope the Oklahoma legislature will perform a miracle in next session, and pass a bill to decriminalize marijuana, meaning just a ticket and no arrest when found to be in possession of small amount of marijuana. If that doesn't come about, then activist might as well try a petition that would do the same thing, especially, if that is a statue change rather than a state constitutional change. Then only around 62,000 signatures are required, rather than 124,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    It would have to further backfire in that direction, since Oklahoma has a drug schedule as well.

Oklahoma was able to get an initiative on the ballot through a petition drive to vote on banning cockfighting in 2002. It was approved. The petition got 100,000 signatures, well more than required. The current Oklahoma medical marijuana petition doesn't have much over 50,000 signatures. What a pity how in this state people seem to have more passion for fighting roosters than sick people who need medical marijuana.

Meanwhile, might as will hope the Oklahoma legislature will perform a miracle in next session, and pass a bill to decriminalize marijuana, meaning just a ticket and no arrest when found to be in possession of small amount of marijuana. If that doesn't come about, then activist might as well try a petition that would do the same thing, especially, if that is a statue change rather than a state constitutional change. Then only around 62,000 signatures are required, rather than 124,000.
    Decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana would be a step in the right direction. North Carolina did this and it was very beneficial as it allowed the state DEA to focus on cartels and dealers rather than users who just want to smoke a joint.

If Oklahoma legislators were rational, they would do the same thing. However, I feel their opposition to marijuana is more driven by their desire to enforce a moral code than it is fighting cartels and reducing crime. They want to go after the users.

Green the Vote down, but not out | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KTUL

I sent my final mail in signatures to them on Wednesday, which amounted to 60. Among them signing was a woman who said her child has had seizures since age two, a man whose arm was shaking from Parkinson's disease and a woman who said she wished her father had legal access to medical marijuana when he was dying from cancer. It's a pity how it seems there are a lot of people out there who support legalizing medical marijuana, but a shortage of hard core volunteers each willing to gather hundreds of signatures in three months.

While it's a mighty tall order, hopefully, legislators during the next session will do something about legalizing full medical marijuana. Because I don't see how any further petitioning efforts will succeed unless one is backed with at least $500,000 to pay signature takers with another $500,000 available at midway to raise the pay, if rate of signatures coming in is too slow. It cost $900,000 to get enough signatures to vote on legalizing rec marijuana in Oregon, which passed.

All we need to do is press about how marijuana will help with taxes to fund what's necessary in the state. Or at least provide a cushion to the budget.

Also, if anyone would like to contact Scott Pruitt's office, here's the info: https://www.ok.gov/oag/Contact_the_AG/index.html

Don't be afraid. These are our elected officials. Usually a call and a VM (if you call after hours or on the weekend), AND an email will ensure that your concerns are at least read/heard by the aides. If enough of us get through, eventually we can pressure and let them know how important this is to the liberty of the citizens of this state. For health reasons, recreational reasons, and the simple fact that marijuana simply isn't as bad as it's been said over the decades.

So again, contact your legislators and contact the AG. Then, encourage at least one other person you know outside of this forum to do so, and tell them to pass it along as well. The more people we have talking about this, the more pressure they will feel. Just try.

This teenage kid would rather be illegally alive than legally dead: Teen Treats Crohn?s Disease With Cannabis And Gets His Life Back | Drugs and Usage

Oklahoma AG bemoans Colorado pot in US Supreme Court filing | News OK

Once again, the AG's office:

https://www.ok.gov/oag/Contact_the_AG/index.html

Perhaps with enough public backlash, we can turn tides. It is possible…

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Oklahoma AG bemoans Colorado pot in US Supreme Court filing | News OK

Once again, the AG's office:

https://www.ok.gov/oag/Contact_the_AG/index.html

Perhaps with enough public backlash, we can turn tides. It is possible…
    It would be nice if some Oklahoma legislator would call him out on it, but then 2016 is an election year.

One idea for a backlash is to get a petition going to vote on decriminalizing marijuana. If I'm right, it would require a statutory change, rather than a constitutional one, so only 64,000 signatures would be necessary. Decriminalizing would mean only getting a ticket, never an arrest when found in possession of a small amount. If it's made clear, it's not really full legalization, like in Colorado, enough people would sign it. One downside, if passed, the legislature would have the right to modify or abolish it.

Makes you wonder why our two advocacy groups haven't pursued that method, because reading through your post, some things strike a bell with me... I think you're right on the process, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I posted this in the other thread pertaining to the AG:

Oklahoma, Nebraska AGs liken Colorado to 'drug cartel' over pot | News OK

Ok, it's time to rally. I've had enough of this nonsense.
    Please get to your emails and/or phone and contact his office and request that the Attorney General's Office of Oklahoma stand down on his lawsuit against the State of Colorado. Your reasons (if they ask), can and should include STATES RIGHTS, public money spent on an unpopular lawsuit, and the fact that the substance his office is rallying against is far less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. Among other reasons.

Then, kindly ask a friend, co-worker, or relative who you think is in agreement and ask them to contact the AG's office.

Oh, and open this up on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Ironic that Pruitt likens Colorado to a drug cartel. Because if Colorado didnt legalize it, the real drug cartels would be the ones to profit. Oh, and the fact that the weed "problem" wouldnt go away.

Do you guys think legal recreational MJ in this state would interest the agricultural side of the state? In other words, if a lot of our crop farmers are struggling selling soybeans and sorghum (just examples - I have no idea what they grow here), get them interested in farming MJ instead.

I applaud you guys who are going door to door and getting signatures for petitions, but that's working your way from the bottom up. It seems like if you could get an entire state industry behind it, then it would be a matter of time before things got rolling.

The other suggestion would be to frame legalization into a "state's rights" issue rather than a "my body my way" issue.

Legalize it, tax it 25% like CO, and then fix the state's budget problems real quick. Soon enough OKC becomes the next Denver. (and then I can sell my house at 3x current market value and go buy a mansion in Georgia!)

The article failed to point out what a remarkable feat it was in Oklahoma for the medical marijuana petition to get just over 70,000 signatures without using paid signature takers.

Meantime, Massachusetts also got over 70,000 signatures on a petition and they are ready to move on to the next step that won't necessarily require a voter initiative for final approval. It is to legalize rec marijuana. Their petition process is a much better deal for the citizens than Oklahoma's: Homegrown: Massachusetts certifies petition by Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol, moving measure closer to statewide ballot vote | masslive.com

Good for Mass! Sadly, I think almost any state's petition process is better than OK's, we've made national news on how horrible ours is ("one of the worst" is how I believe it's stated). When I think of how little progress our state's politics and political process has made since 1995, it's so depressing (it might've actually *re*gressed).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Good for Mass! Sadly, I think almost any state's petition process is better than OK's, we've made national news on how horrible ours is ("one of the worst" is how I believe it's stated). When I think of how little progress our state's politics and political process has made since 1995, it's so depressing (it might've actually *re*gressed).
    Meh, I'd had a hard time considering ours one of the worst. From a percentage of Governor votes standpoint, we're slightly higher than average (8% for Oklahoma while the average is like 7.5%), but there are multiple states with 8%, and some with 10% and 12%, and even 15% required for signatures. We're also in the minority of states that allow petition driven initiatives. I've got to think having any petition process is better than states that allow legislative initiatives only.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Meh, I'd had a hard time considering ours one of the worst. From a percentage of Governor votes standpoint, we're slightly higher than average (8% for Oklahoma while the average is like 7.5%), but there are multiple states with 8%, and some with 10% and 12%, and even 15% required for signatures. We're also in the minority of states that allow petition driven initiatives. I've got to think having any petition process is better than states that allow legislative initiatives only.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=%22o...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Apparently, though, we're not one of the worst now, due to the recent bills that passed, so we have actually gotten better (wow, who woulda thunk it?).

Thread Information