Widgets Magazine
Page 41 of 96 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454691 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 2384

Thread: Midtown

Default Re: Midtown Update!!

The developers mentioned about a month ago they'd like to turn it into a boutique hotel but it didn't sound like they had anything solid.

They also said they wanted to maintain the right mix of uses, from office to retail to residential -- not load up too much in any one category.

I'm sure they could convert this into apartments and easily lease them but it sounds like they want to hold out until the area develops a bit more than find a hotel operator.

I said it before and I took a beating for it, but I am going to say it again. All those companies building headquarters out on Memorial are going feel real stupid once the urban core becomes 'the place to be'. Good luck selling your mostly empty sprawling office buildings and 20 acres of parking when everyone else realizes how much better 'high density' is.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    All those companies building headquarters out on Memorial are going feel real stupid once the urban core becomes 'the place to be'. Good luck selling your mostly empty sprawling office buildings and 20 acres of parking when everyone else realizes how much better 'high density' is.
    I do not see your logic. If you are implying that Memorial is "out in the middle of nowhere" I guess it depends on where your employee base lives. My understanding is a lot of the jobs up there on memorial, at least the office buildings are more for people with experience/education, meaning they probably have a family as well and living on the "Far NW Side" is convenient since there are good schools and affordable suburban style houses.

If the drive from Norman/Moore is too much, sell your house and move to the NW side, housing and schools are comparable.

4. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

I said it before and I took a beating for it, but I am going to say it again. All those companies building headquarters out on Memorial are going feel real stupid once the urban core becomes 'the place to be'. Good luck selling your mostly empty sprawling office buildings and 20 acres of parking when everyone else realizes how much better 'high density' is.
    I think you're right on that.

Or, in another way, they're going to regret it when a newer, nice strip mall is built and all the businesses start leaving for it. That's exactly what's happening in Norman with Ed Noble Parkway. The new UNP is cannibalizing those business. I'm willing to bet that strip mall will have a 20% occupancy rate in 5 years and be dead soon after that.

Blog Entries

You just don't get it do you? Memorial corridor is still growing. In fact, the Kilpatrick is set to expand lanes, not shut down. That doesn't happen because traffic is getting to be less. Things are being built in that area. Get over it. There is ALSO a great lifestyle in that area of the city. Lots of taxes are generated in that area too.

This idea that it is EITHER downtown OR Memorial is juvenile competitiveness and naivety. BOTH can and will progress. The idea that the ONLY good option is downtown is silly. Many people like yards, space and suburban life. That will not change. Others prefer high density urban. There is a market for both. You would probably be amazed at how much suburban style development there is around New York City, Chicago, San Francisco. You need to get around more to understand that.

NM - posted in wrong thread.

9. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    You just don't get it do you? Memorial corridor is still growing. In fact, the Kilpatrick is set to expand lanes, not shut down. That doesn't happen because traffic is getting to be less. Things are being built in that area. Get over it. There is ALSO a great lifestyle in that area of the city. Lots of taxes are generated in that area too.

This idea that it is EITHER downtown OR Memorial is juvenile competitiveness and naivety. BOTH can and will progress. The idea that the ONLY good option is downtown is silly. Many people like yards, space and suburban life. That will not change. Others prefer high density urban. There is a market for both. You would probably be amazed at how much suburban style development there is around New York City, Chicago, San Francisco. You need to get around more to understand that.
    I have to agree with this. It's not an either/or situation. There is no "right" way to do a lot of things and this is one of them. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    The property on the southeast corner is also getting a major facelift as well. It appears as if there is some sort of stone facade going on it. I get the pleasure of watching all of this take shape from my office window every day.
    Are you talking about the SE corner of 10th and Robinson or 10th and Harvey? SE corner of 10th and Harvey is the old Cline Hotel building which will be apartments.

That's really neat that you have that view whenever you look out!

I believe he is talking about the building on SE corner at Harvey. Some lawyers purchased ir and it appears they are taking the stucco off down to the original brick, "yay"! Also the Cline is under construction so either way it is a win- win for Midtown.

12. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

I share in your excitement over the stucco removal.... I'm looking forward to seeing what the building looks like. Have you noticed the car junk is back across the street at the old gas station?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I share in your excitement over the stucco removal.... I'm looking forward to seeing what the building looks like. Have you noticed the car junk is back across the street at the old gas station?
    it never really left

14. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

I did Steve! And I remember the debacle about a while ago too. Funny how it's back to exactly how it was. OKC has some serious enforcement issues. Especially when it comes to city appearance.

In regards to this project. I know the parking looks cool, but has anyone else realized that basically, the whole western half of that block is a parking lot? Not trying to be a pest, but the way I see it, if we're going to scrutinize paved parking lots created in other urban districts then we should hold Midtown to the same accountability. Here's to hoping that the parking lots north of this proposal, bordering 11th street, are turned into something to help minimize the effect. The streetcar is supposed to go right through that corner so hopefully I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Here's to hoping that the parking lots north of this proposal, bordering 11th street, are turned into something to help minimize the effect. The streetcar is supposed to go right through that corner so hopefully I'm right.
    Yes, the current plan is to be going northbound on Robinson with a broad left turn onto 11th westward to Dewey. I am particularly excited about the streetcar servicing the new market concept and the new housing Midtown Renaissance is doing.

This just happened a few minutes ago. Moving out they say!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City Church People remove Organ.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	825.2 KB 
ID:	990

17. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Hate to say it, but I don't think the stucco is being removed. Those uncovered patches have been like that for a number of weeks, and the stuff stacked in the sidewalk and going on the facade in those photos appears to be some sort of cast stone material going OVER the remaining stucco. Pretty sure this indicates they were hoping to remove all of the stucco, did some test removal, were unhappy with the results. They appear to have decided to clad the building yet again, but this time in a sturdier and better-looking material. Regrettably, sometimes brick can't be brought back from reckless stucco projects of the past in a cost-effective way.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I believe he is talking about the building on SE corner at Harvey. Some lawyers purchased ir and it appears they are taking the stucco off down to the original brick, "yay"! Also the Cline is under construction so either way it is a win- win for Midtown.
    Just a quick note about CCOKC, metro. That is a female not a "he". She mentioned her husband in another thread. I know there is no way to tell from the name though.

19. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Hate to say it, but I don't think the stucco is being removed. Those uncovered patches have been like that for a number of weeks, and the stuff stacked in the sidewalk and going on the facade in those photos appears to be some sort of cast stone material going OVER the remaining stucco. Pretty sure this indicates they were hoping to remove all of the stucco, did some test removal, were unhappy with the results. They appear to have decided to clad the building yet again, but this time in a sturdier and better-looking material. Regrettably, sometimes brick can't be brought back from reckless stucco projects of the past in a cost-effective way.
    I drove by the building yesterday. Looks like you're right.

20. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Oh well, I just hope they keep the historical markings*? on the building. American Legion Post 35 I believe.

21. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

They will be seriously recessed and strange-looking if they keep them in their current places. Hopefully there is a way to pull the ornamentation forward and flush with the new facade material. There is/was some really nice-looking detail on that building. Unfortunate about the Philistine refacing done back in the day.

During my Main Street days I used to see buildings that were mistreated like that all of the time. The happy times are when you can spend a couple hundred bucks, remove a bunch of tin from the 60s, and uncover a jewel. It happened on Automobile Alley a number of times, and has happened throughout the state. The before/after pics on stuff like that is often amazing. You scratch your head when you consider the fact that someone must have stepped back from their newly-applied plastering or tin facing job and said "MAN! That looks WAY better!"

I have recently heard a very good Midtown housing rumor.

The Rumor .... Another Midtown housing project is in the works with 150+ rental units and will be in direct competition to the (Mercy) "Edge" project. This project could be announced very soon and the developer wants to beat the "Edge" project to the finish line (I know that may not be difficult to do).

Now after reading the Steve Lackmeyer article @ newsok, this project is probably more than just a rumor.
    Survey shows demand is strong for downtown rental housing in Oklahoma City
    A new analysis being delivered this week to the Oklahoma City Council shows demand remains strong for rental housing downtown, while for-sale units are not faring as well.

BY STEVE LACKMEYER slackmeyer@opubco.com Comment on this article 4
    Published: September 27, 2011

Read more: http://newsok.com/survey-shows-deman...#ixzz1ZALazQcy
    Lots of land available in Midtown for a project of this size.

Hope it proves out!

There is plenty of room and demand for multiple Midtown housing projects.

I'm sure it's the Marva Ellard team

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I'm sure it's the Marva Ellard team
    I have no knowledge of her resources, so obviously it's possible for her to simultaneously be working on multiple developments. However, remember that she has an announced project of modern homes at 6th and Hudson (Anyone remember what that was called or have an update on them?). Of course, it would be minor compared to a 150+ unit apartment development.

Thread Information