Widgets Magazine
Page 40 of 93 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444590 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2314

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Are they going to paint the RR bridge or just leave a rusty behemoth?
    What you don’t like the Cleveland Rust Belt feel of that stretch of highway now?

No paint it will stay as is. Paint can actually cause rust over time and this is treated. I like the rusty look.

It's designed that way, the rust forms a protective barrier, it's called weathering steel.

I finally used this with the latest lane configuration. I wonder how long they are going to leave those flashing speed limit signs that say something like 35 or 45. When I went through, everyone was going 60+ as the current layout is built for it. OHP could have a field day in there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I finally used this with the latest lane configuration. I wonder how long they are going to leave those flashing speed limit signs that say something like 35 or 45. When I went through, everyone was going 60+ as the current layout is built for it. OHP could have a field day in there right now.
    I want to say that that stuff was gone going southbound this morning. I have been wondering the same thing since they opened up the southbound stuff - its been tough to go thru there and not get run over while trying to obey the construction zone speed limit, but I think those old speed limit signs were gone today. Now it just needs to be corrected in Waze :-)

Wait... they are already removing the construction zone signs? The 50th Street bridge has been open for 5 months now and they finally removed the signs just 3 weeks ago. Well, they removed them for westbound traffic on 50th; the signs are still there for eastbound traffic.

I-235 highway and bridge project completed ahead of schedule

A snippet about the next phases:

Motorists will have a few months to enjoy the newly opened lanes before construction is expected to begin next spring on the next project, Angier said.

The next project will combine phases five and six and is expected to be even more disruptive to traffic, she said.

Highway construction crews will be widening I-235/Broadway Extension from near NW 50 Street, where the last project left off, to NW 63 Street.

The $80 million project will include a major reconfiguration of the I-44 interchange that will include 11 new bridges and flyover ramps like the ones linking Lake Hefner Parkway with the Kilpatrick Turnpike in northwest Oklahoma City, Angier said. Much of the work will be in the northeast quadrant.

There is still a northbound bottleneck just south of the railroad bridge when four lanes reduce to two (the far left lane merges right, and the far right lane exits at 50th). Then follows a section of off- and on-ramps at 50th Street, I-44 and 63rd Street, before I-235 widens again to four lanes. Wouldn't this narrowing cause congestion?

Kind of mind blowing that this one intersection improvement is costing $300 million. Crazy how expensive roads can be.

Also something to keep in mind next time you hear someone complain about costs of public transportation projects, bike lanes, sidewalks etc. They usually pale in comparison to what we pay for our roads.

Really!? Have you seen the cost of public transportation projects? They are often into the billions.

11. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

I hope they stay working on 240/35 then if they are going to keep working on this interchange. It needs to be finished just as badly.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    There is still a northbound bottleneck just south of the railroad bridge when four lanes reduce to two (the far left lane merges right, and the far right lane exits at 50th). Then follows a section of off- and on-ramps at 50th Street, I-44 and 63rd Street, before I-235 widens again to four lanes. Wouldn't this narrowing cause congestion?
    They just moved the bottleneck from 36th up north to 50th. I'm not sure that's going to be good as it's right at the curve. Already no one gets over when the lane ends and it causes issues. I wish they'd always put lanes that are ending on the right side instead of the left. I suppose time will tell how this change will work out.

The left lane merge is only going to be temporary until the full interchange is completed, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    The left lane merge is only going to be temporary until the full interchange is completed, right?
    Correct. But it'll be a couple+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Correct. But it'll be a couple+ years.
    The next stage is on the final December bid opening list. It is for the through lanes on 235 as well as the NB 235 to WB 44 and EB 44 to NB 235 flyovers. Budgeted to take 2 years (assuming they will include the usual bonuses for early completion).

Will be fun to see the 11 bridges being built! But driving that stretch will suck for 2 years!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Will be fun to see the 11 bridges being built! But driving that stretch will suck for 2 years!
    I don’t think it will be as bad.

- They should be able to build one new bridge next to current lanes then when done move ome set of lanes over, tear down old and build 2nd new and move/tear down. The flyovers will be likely weekend closures to lift pieces but can build pillars without messing up too much traffic.

- With east44 to south 235 done plus 50th st open more drivers will take that way to avoid bottleneck.

I think the section of 44 just under/east of current 235 overpass will be impacted due to bridge/pillar work. They will have much more work going on down ther imo.

235 will be slowed down but the work section will be smaller and once south of overpass its all done so can speed up again.

I drive through this every day, so I'm simultaneously excited and horrified to see the next phase start.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    The next stage is on the final December bid opening list. It is for the through lanes on 235 as well as the NB 235 to WB 44 and EB 44 to NB 235 flyovers. Budgeted to take 2 years (assuming they will include the usual bonuses for early completion).
    Can anybody much smarter than me post the rendering of the intersection highlighting these ramps and roads that are next to be built next?

I'd like to know what all 11 bridges are. I know there are the two flyover bridges, but where are the other 9? Does 50th street overpass count?

Quote Originally Posted by tyeomans View Post
    I'd like to know what all 11 bridges are. I know there are the two flyover bridges, but where are the other 9? Does 50th street overpass count?

It looks like from this rendering: 5 new bridges that cross Deep Fork (including flyover from NB I-235/US-77 to WB I-44), 3 bridges for I-235/US-77 over I-44, 1 flyover from EB I-44 to NB US-77 and 1 bridge from that flyover to NW 63rd, and 1 bridge from NB I-235/US-77 to NW 63rd.

Largest contract in state highway department history approved for I-235/I-44 work

Login only for the moment, but according to the visible summary the contract for $105 million was awarded Monday.

Man, hopefully this next phase has a lot of incentives to get done early like the train bridge phase just south of there.
    It's so nice driving through that newly completed phase. I literally cannot picture what it's going to be like to be able to drive 60-70 MPH through that interchange when it's complete and free flowing. I wonder how traffic will look when it's complete..

24. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

They've just stopped at 240/35 and aren't doing anything at all there. And yet we're seeing the largest contract ever being signed for this one. Me thinks there's a little unfairness going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    They've just stopped at 240/35 and aren't doing anything at all there. And yet we're seeing the largest contract ever being signed for this one. Me thinks there's a little unfairness going on here.
    Did they take projects off of the 8 year plan? If they didnt then it's completely fair. That's just the reality of Oklahomas budget and the way it plans out road construction.

Thread Information