Widgets Magazine
Page 40 of 96 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444590 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2384

Thread: Midtown

Default Re: Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I look forward to us having this conversation again in five years. I enjoy these discussions ....
    Once the streetcar tracks start going in the ground people are going to be amazed at how much construction there is along the route. The only question that will be asked is, "Why didn't we do this sooner?"

The streetcar changes the ecnomics of development because much less space needs to be dedicated to parking, which in turn allows more of a lot to be used for revenue generation. Developments that were previously not economically viable in any part of OKC, will suddenly become viable along the streetcar route. When I was in Memphis there were multiple hotels downtown that didn't even provide parking at all. We stayed at the Residence Inn (right along the streetcar route) and I had to park in a City garage 3 blocks away. Did I mind? Nope, because everything we wanted to do in Memphis was within walking distance of the hotel (they could have used some places for dogs to go to the bathroom though - my dog almost made it to the park 2 blocks away. I cleaned as much as I could off the sidewalk. Sorry Memphis.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    I don't think anyone would have any problems driving downtown. Well, maybe the Edmond customers. They complain about crossing Memorial Rd. from my experience.

I used to be an auditor. You will really like being close to the capitol and the law firms downtown. We were constantly taking trips to law offices downtown.
    That caricature of Edmonites and north OKC citizens amuses some who want to believe it, but is not accurate. Most in that area support OKC downtown pretty strongly and understand the requirement for a vibrant core. I dare say the ticket situation with the Thunder, the Lyric, the Broadway Series, the Oklahoma Ballet, the Museum of Art, the orchestra, etc. would take a pretty big hit if you eliminated Edmonites and north OKCitians.

Part of the problem in OKC has always been that there is much segregation. By that I don't mean just racial, but also socio-economic, geographic, cultural, etc. At last the city area has come together to support common ambitions....most of which have centered on improving downtown. So instead of appreciating the total support, some want to continue to segment and divide.

Though I live north, I think it is absolutely essential to fully develop our core, including Mid-town. When I have business associates in I almost always have them stay downtown and we entertain downtown frequently..including and especially in Mid-town as we enjoy Stella, Cafe Brazil and 1492 in particular. Many of my friends do the same.

The issue is not how to build a city of downtown OR suburbs, but a strong city which includes both. It is not just an issue of having transportation, but different desires in lifestyle. So instead of taking pot shots at fellow citizens, invite them to experience the richness we are building in the core and appreciate their spending of time and resources in the area. And from that others will choose to live and grow there too.

Great news!

Pete, if you don't mind me asking, where do you get all of your permit info? I tried toying around on the city website the other day and had no luck.

Although Deep Deuce has become an active and vibrant neighborhood, I think there is one glaring omission to the fabric of this area. A park. While we are discussing the surplus of land in Midtown, it's interesting to note how Deep Deuce is rapidly running out of land for a neighborhood park. I would argue this area will not reach it's potential without some open space.

As a quality of life issue, there needs to be some organized park space to exercise, walk your dog or just reconnect with nature. And before any of you argue that the little patch of land West of the new Aloft Hotel is open space, it is not. It could be if the Oklahoma Ave. corridor between Bricktown and Deep Deuce were developed. The abrupt ending of Oklahoma Ave. for the sake of surface parking is one of the worst urban design flaws our urban core has.

Where are the neighborhood leaders and developers in this area when it comes to proposing much needed green space?

There are open spaces between some of the apartments. Check just east of the DD pool. They should put up some benches and stuff to make it more attractive...

if you don't mind me asking, where do you get all of your permit info?
    http://www.okc.gov/access/

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    There are open spaces between some of the apartments. Check just east of the DD pool. They should put up some benches and stuff to make it more attractive...
    I lived in DD for 10 years and this regularly came up. There is a storm water drainage conduit for I-235 running across the complex that could easily accommodate a rectangular pocket park.

It is just that it's ODoT's land and they would have the right to remove whatever is put in to gain access to this drain. Thus, where does the money come from for improvements considering the risks involved? That was what we were faced with when trying to raise money.

8. Default Re: Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by BAW View Post
    Although Deep Deuce has become an active and vibrant neighborhood, I think there is one glaring omission to the fabric of this area. A park. While we are discussing the surplus of land in Midtown, it's interesting to note how Deep Deuce is rapidly running out of land for a neighborhood park. I would argue this area will not reach it's potential without some open space.

As a quality of life issue, there needs to be some organized park space to exercise, walk your dog or just reconnect with nature. And before any of you argue that the little patch of land West of the new Aloft Hotel is open space, it is not. It could be if the Oklahoma Ave. corridor between Bricktown and Deep Deuce were developed. The abrupt ending of Oklahoma Ave. for the sake of surface parking is one of the worst urban design flaws our urban core has.

Where are the neighborhood leaders and developers in this area when it comes to proposing much needed green space?
    I think Maywood Park, the sculpture that they built with TIF funding, has interesting potential to become a neighborhood icon. I don't think it will really qualify as open space, but that is OK, I can still love Deep Deuce. But you're right, Mid-town will need a park. The area feels kind of similar to the Brady Arts District in Tulsa, and so I think a park could develop along those lines (although I don't know if it should have the same racial historic context).

There is a park. In fact, it is a WPA park across from the Auto dealerships. It could be redeveloped into something grand. Certainly it could be "skirted" with prime development once the "quiet zone" goes into place.

By the way, just passed Hideaway and it was packed with people.

10. Default Re: Midtown

It would be nice if we could just sell Campbell Park off to Bert Belanger to include as open space for his development, if he ever gets around to it (reportedly being planned for a while now).

Not only is that overly simplistic, I think that would be too easy unfortunately..

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    There is a park. In fact, it is a WPA park across from the Auto dealerships. It could be redeveloped into something grand. Certainly it could be "skirted" with prime development once the "quiet zone" goes into place.

By the way, just passed Hideaway and it was packed with people.
    Any idea when the quiet zone goes into place? What takes so long to get a quiet zone approved and into place? I know they've been saying one is to be added in Norman at Classen and Boyd for 2 years now and nothing has happened.

There are special barriers that have to be built for a quiet zone to be established. I believe they're sort of like a maze that makes it very, very difficult to go through a crossing gate that's down. IIRC, I was told it would cost about $2million to build all the necessary barriers to establish a quiet zone from 13th south. Where that money comes from is at least one of the issues.

13. Default Re: Midtown

They decided to spend much more than that in renovations to an arena that will probably be torn down anyway just to "lure" an AHL team. On the other hand, they've spent almost 7 years doing nothing on the quiet zone and can't even come up with $2M for the crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    They decided to spend much more than that in renovations to an arena that will probably be torn down anyway just to "lure" an AHL team. On the other hand, they've spent almost 7 years doing nothing on the quiet zone and can't even come up with $2M for the crossings.
    If the overall cost for the construction of the crossings is only $2M, then I don't see why BNSF isn't willing to partner up and pay half the cost. Considering that not only will their whistles be silenced, their chances of colliding with a pedestrian or a vehicle will be much, much lower due to those barriers. I know that Union Pacific has a quiet zone through Okay, OK (over by Muskogee) for their route cause people there got tired of hearing the trains all hours of the day. If it can be afforded there, it can be afforded through downtown.

15. Default Re: Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I know that Union Pacific has a quiet zone through Okay, OK (over by Muskogee) for their route cause people there got tired of hearing the trains all hours of the day. If it can be afforded there, it can be afforded through downtown.
    It's a matter of priorities, and that would just make too much sense. That is an awesome town name, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's a matter of priorities, and that would just make too much sense. That is an awesome town name, though.
    I am not sure if this was a priority situation for Okay, OK as opposed to the situation here. If you look, there is one corner/intersection involved in Okay, with 2 crossing streets in close proximity. Look at street-view and you will see that there is no special hardware at the intersections and no special routing involved. I suspect all they did was petition the railroad to limit trane speeds and amount they can blow their whistle. What Okay did in no way reflects the same requirements in OKC.

Found this rendering for the back (east) side of 1212 N. Walker:

Looks good. Going to be a great project (even if those balconies don't provide much of a view - parking lots)...

Default Re: Midtown Update!!

I was driving down 10th street today and nearly every other building between Classen and Broadway has some type of construction taking place. This street is going to be amazing in another year or two. There were contractors working on so many buildings along this route it is difficult to remember each one.

With all of this work do we expect to see retail, restaurants, or more housing? (more specifically 10th & Robinson/Broadway, but St. Anthony's has many offices with interior renovations too.)

Midtown is really becoming a great place to live or a night out dining. Can't wait to see what is in store for Midtown in the near future!!

If anyone is in the area I'd love to see some pics of the progress at 1212 (Walker) and some of the other Midtown projects...

Looking great! Thanks!

22. Default Re: Midtown Update!!

Wow, nice pics.

Blog Entries

This is exciting. I think these kinds of developments solidify mid-town as a great "lifestyle", as opposed to DD and BT as a FUN lifestyle. I bet mid-town gets the 30-40 somethings that move over from the 20 something areas. I think mid-town will wind up way more diversified than DD.

What's happening with the building next to it? Any progress?

Rover the building next to it is planed (early) to be a hotel something in the same form as the colcord ... but it is still a couple of years off

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Rover the building next to it is planed (early) to be a hotel something in the same form as the colcord ... but it is still a couple of years off
    So, it is going to be a full service hotel? Seems like it would be more of a true boutique hotel.

I thought the last plans had it as condo...when did it get switched back to a hotel?

Thread Information