Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mission BBQ

Default Re: Mission BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    exactly this... the amount of times i have heard from people after i try a BBQ place they recommend that i didn't like, "well did you get their cornbread?"
    Which is ALWAYS too sweet, no matter where you go, I've stopped getting it because what we make actually tastes like cornbread, not yellow cake.

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    For the money, I prefer Earl's. Can you get better? Of course, but you will pay for it. Can you get cheaper? Of course, but eater be warned. Any idea how Mission will compare to Earl's?
    I actually think the Earl's on Western, on a good day, is pretty good for the price. Before I started smoking my own, it was in the lunch rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Which is ALWAYS too sweet, no matter where you go, I've stopped getting it because what we make actually tastes like cornbread, not yellow cake.
    I definitely love Clark Crew cornbread, but you are totally right, of course. I like it as a dessert.

4. Default Re: Mission BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I actually think the Earl's on Western, on a good day, is pretty good for the price. Before I started smoking my own, it was in the lunch rotation.
    I think I've eaten Earl's BBQ maybe once... I always went to Earl's for the Prairie Fire Wings or occasionally the cheeseburger.

I'm sure we would all love to have our own personal BBQ expert chained up in our basement or have tons of time to spend learning and doing it on our own.

The best BBQ in the world is probably by some random random retired guy who only his family and friends know about it. There is also an added degree of difficulty in mass producing BBQ. The original founders of these chains probably made better BBQ in smaller settings.

6. Default Re: Mission BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The best BBQ in the world is probably by some random random retired guy who only his family and friends know about it. There is also an added degree of difficulty in mass producing BBQ. The original founders of these chains probably made better BBQ in smaller settings.
    No it's actually made by an 89 year old woman in Lexington Texas named Tootsie Tomanetz who as far as I know is still working as a custodian at the local school when she's not making some of the best BBQ on the planet at Snow's BBQ.

Swadley's has mounted a huge ad campaign in the Oklahoman.

You have to wonder how things are going to turn out with their criminal case. You also wonder how the court case has affected their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    No it's actually made by an 89 year old woman in Lexington Texas named Tootsie Tomanetz who as far as I know is still working as a custodian at the local school when she's not making some of the best BBQ on the planet at Snow's BBQ.
    I'd love to get down and meet her. I mean, I'm sure the food is great, but she's a legend.

I will say Aaron Franklin was a real pleasure to run into the only time I've camped out for BBQ. Such a nice dude.

I'm sure we would all love to have our own personal BBQ expert chained up in our basement or have tons of time to spend learning and doing it on our own.

You're so right about that.

I also think a lot of times, smoking meat is so overblown as being difficult to do, and it's not. Especially with all the advances in smokers, like pellet smokers.

I love it when a neighbor or friend texts and asks if I'm smoking anything soon, and want me to throw on a pork butt or ribs or something they bought.

10. Default Re: Mission BBQ

I'd love to get down and meet her. I mean, I'm sure the food is great, but she's a legend.

I will say Aaron Franklin was a real pleasure to run into the only time I've camped out for BBQ. Such a nice dude.
    I didn't get to meet Aaron but Tootsie is one of the nicest. No matter how busy she is with the cooking she can find a minute for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Swadley's has mounted a huge ad campaign in the Oklahoman.

You have to wonder how things are going to turn out with their criminal case. You also wonder how the court case has affected their business.
    I personally won't ever darken their door as I try not to patronize businesses which have stolen from the taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I personally won't ever darken their door as I try not to patronize businesses which have stolen from the taxpayers.
    The bad food keeps me away.

The bad food keeps me away.
    Their food was okay. I'm not going to fall into this camp of folks who turn their noses up at "bad" BBQ. It's entirely subjective. Smoked meat generally is pretty palatable. I don't eat a lot of red meat anymore, so I rarely do BBQ, but back in the day? Places like Billy Simms were in the rotation. Even Swadley's on occasion, especially when I was in El Reno. I had an earlier falling out with Swadley's several years ago when I found they had no changing tables in the men's room, which let me tell you--when you are out with a kid in diapers as a man, your options are fairly limited.

Their food was okay. I'm not going to fall into this camp of folks who turn their noses up at "bad" BBQ. It's entirely subjective. Smoked meat generally is pretty palatable. I don't eat a lot of red meat anymore, so I rarely do BBQ, but back in the day? Places like Billy Simms were in the rotation. Even Swadley's on occasion, especially when I was in El Reno. I had an earlier falling out with Swadley's several years ago when I found they had no changing tables in the men's room, which let me tell you--when you are out with a kid in diapers as a man, your options are fairly limited.
    Trust me, I changed my share of diapers on my tailgate!

I don't turn up my nose at bad BBQ any more than I turn my nose up at any other bad restaurant. The few times I went to Swadley's, wanting a quick and easy BBQ lunch, I overpaid for terrible brisket. I say the few, because I really wanted it to be good, so I tried it again.

You can read my comments about BBQ, I don't care what people like and don't judge them for it. All I said was the bad food keeps me away, which keeps me away from plenty of restaurants.

You mention back in the day, which may indicate before we had as many options as we do now. I'll strongly disagree that smoked meat is generally palatable. I can't eat bad bbq anymore after having had great bbq. Swadley's is bad bbq, in my humble opinion.

How many of the last posts were actually about Mission BBQ...?

16. Default Re: Mission BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    None... Including yours....and mine

God forbid we talk about other BBQ in a thread of a BBQ restaurant. This is a forum, after all.

God forbid we talk about other BBQ in a thread of a BBQ restaurant. This is a forum, after all.
    tbf, this subject in OKC is at least as divisive as anything political.

tbf, this subject in OKC is at least as divisive as anything political.
    True. Let's go back to talking about the restaurant that doesn't yet exist.

True. Let's go back to talking about the restaurant that doesn't yet exist.
    The Corner Baker employees don't know what we're talking about.

I think the BBQ experts read the thread title as Mission: BBQ as in its their mission to find the best BBQ.

I think the BBQ experts read the thread title as Mission: BBQ as in its their mission to find the best BBQ.

We have, or should have, a general BBQ thread for people who want to debate BBQ (which, as has been said above, is incredibly subjective)...

22. Default Re: Mission BBQ

We have, or should have, a general BBQ thread for people who want to debate BBQ (which, as has been said above, is incredibly subjective)...
    There is a thread for that, Best BBQ in OKC Metro

I feel like it's pretty reasonable to discuss other BBQ restaurants in a thread about a BBQ restaurant, especially if said BBQ restaurant has yet to exist. Also, any thread about BBQ is going to turn into a discussion about BBQ preferences/recommendations. Is that a bad thing? I get a lot of info about other places in threads like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I went not long after it reopened after covid. It was all very good. top notch. But I still think Franklin BBQ is better. Is it way better....no, but better.

When I went to Snow's I tried everything. and it was all delicious but the next day I had franklin and I just thought it was a little better. But it's definitely in my top 3!

25. Default Re: Mission BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    I went not long after it reopened after covid. It was all very good. top notch. But I still think Franklin BBQ is better. Is it way better....no, but better
    It could just be the day with those two joints. I felt just the opposite, but I also put higher expectations on Franklin because I know where he is sourcing his Prime briskets and Tootsie is still cooking Choice briskets.... or at least she was the first couple of times I was there.... They may have changed to Prime since then.

Thread Information