Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sellout Crowd

Default Re: Sellout Crowd

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Most those writers had already been laid off and I'm sure Tramel and Carlson were not getting increases and I know all the writers there had been forced into periodic unpaid furloughs.

Even if Tramel is on the line for the debt, he can file bankruptcy and move on.

Nobody else involved left a steady job, except... Jenni Carlson. Good luck finding another full-time writing gig when you already have 95% layoffs and all those people are taking peanuts just to have some income. Tramel hustled up and took the job at the World but you can bet that was at a significant salary reduction.

Most would be shocked to know how little freelance writers are paid these days. Most earn around $20-$50 per article.
    We need media to have a functioning democracy. It's a real conundrum. Media enterprises were fat and happy and have continually failed to adjust. There has to be a way to make it work financially, but even the current pay wall thing is broken.

I don't understand why these former newspapers don't create a Spotify-type concept for local media organizations. Am I going to pay to subscribe to the Austin Statesman to read one article. No the hell not. But, what if I paid 10.99 a month to read content from any organization I want?

There has to be a way.

^

The problem is that people like the Gaylords and other monopolists took millions and millions out of their businesses, then when digital came along, their massive hubris led them to give away their content thinking that somehow it would all work out.

And after they had screwed things up beyond salvation and the free genie was out of the bottle, they cashed out instead of reinvesting some of those big piles of money.

It wasn't enough they ran their own business into the ground, they made sure the entire industry would never again have a workable business model.

The only savior is citizen journalism. For so long, the battle cry of the failing papers was something like, "We actually have people covering city council meetings and nobody else does or will". It was the 'public good' appeal after they were all on the brink of ruination, even though there is a very, very strong argument that says those big institutions were only lining the their own pockets and those of their cronies. And of course in OKC, we now have a bunch of independent outlets covering City Hall way better than the Oklahoman ever did, especially since the paper was/is in bed with the city and local power players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If you use completely falsified projections to lure investors and employees, that is straight-up fraud.

And it's easy to prove because you have all these proformas that were sent to everyone who signed on, and then you have several months of actual revenue to compare. Also, it sounds like most were told they had $3 million in "investment capital" when in fact it was just a loan. That's also fraud.
    Exactly. While it's true their chances of getting anything from a lawsuit are practically nil, there is good reason for them to pursue criminal charges.

Thread Information