Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

Default Re: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by mgharfeh View Post
    is this bridge the red one designed by AHMM?
    AHMM did some concepts but the final design has not been approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Southsider2 View Post
    Hope I’m speaking on the correct bridge here as I saw Holt tweet today (I-35 proposed pedestrian bridge over OK River). I used to run the south river trail on my daily run. It currently dead-ends at the I-35 bridge. I’ve always loved the trail here for its partially shaded path and good views of the skyline and Riversport. This trail is beaming with potential especially with the proposed bridge and connection to Okana as well as the northern portion of that trail.

Unfortunately I no longer run this stretch because quite frankly it’s become too dangerous. I’ve ran this trail a million times and had overall great experiences. However, I’ve noticed that the general vibe along the trail has changed with a significant increase in litter and a growing homeless presence. This alone isn’t enough for me to quit frequenting a trail. I can get past some litter & a few homeless folks here and there no biggie. The overall positives of this trail aren’t enough to outweigh two particular experiences that I had on this trail. One of which was being chased (and bitten) by an off-leash dog. The second of which, was being confronted by a man (seemingly tweaking) with a large knife on one of the most remote portions of the trail. I don’t mean to be dramatic especially in light of the good news of increased connectivity, but, I just wish and hope that the City would do something to make these trails more safe. I know multiple people that share these experiences along the river trails. I really don’t know what can or should be done but as a downtown resident I feel like I have a decent pulse on what areas are safe & which aren’t and this spot is now near the top of places I avoid.
    There has been a change in the last two or three years. I do not know if it is a result of the economy or a change in homeless/enforcement policy, but in order for the Riverside area to thrive there will need to be a change at the City/County level.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    There has been a change in the last two or three years. I do not know if it is a result of the economy or a change in homeless/enforcement policy, but in order for the Riverside area to thrive there will need to be a change at the City/County level.
    Completely agree.

4. Default Re: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

This line from the article is very encouraging!

Oklahoma's Transportation Department also has plans to rebuild the northbound and southbound lanes of the Interstate 35 bridge at that location. Construction on the vehicle portion of the bridge is currently planned for 2028. The recent announcement that Oklahoma City will host two events in the Olympic Games that year could influence that project's timeline, however.

The Transportation Department reevaluates its long-term plans each fall.
    I 'wonder' if the state could expedite the I-35 bridge reconstruction to remove the piers (and hopefully create a momument commemorating the importance of the bridge as the Crossroads of America), would the LA28 Olympics consider/reconsider OKC for the rowing events. It could be a savings to the overall effort and have the space to run the events (2000 meters? vs the shortened current plan of 1500 meters in Long Beach).

If the city/state is going to rebuild I-35 bridge anyway, why not expedite to further assist LA, add even more Olympics to the city, AND further improve the city itself, sooner. I also wonder if the Feds could help the expedited I-35 replacement if LA28, the city, and state combined efforts to use efficiency gains to support the Olympics, the city, state, and (since it's the crossroads) the nation. ... Win, win, win, and WIN!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    This line from the article is very encouraging!

I 'wonder' if the state could expedite the I-35 bridge reconstruction to remove the piers (and hopefully create a momument commemorating the importance of the bridge as the Crossroads of America), would the LA28 Olympics consider/reconsider OKC for the rowing events. It could be a savings to the overall effort and have the space to run the events (2000 meters? vs the shortened current plan of 1500 meters in Long Beach).

If the city/state is going to rebuild I-35 bridge anyway, why not expedite to further assist LA, add even more Olympics to the city, AND further improve the city itself, sooner. I also wonder if the Feds could help the expedited I-35 replacement if LA28, the city, and state combined efforts to use efficiency gains to support the Olympics, the city, state, and (since it's the crossroads) the nation. ... Win, win, win, and WIN!
    The initial plans I saw did not have any central piers.

My construction update with the bridge

^

Awesome as always. Thanks so much, Tony G!

The Citizen video was one of the best ones so far !!!

Thread Information