Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lake Hefner Golf Course

1. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I will suggest to you and to @Oski that if you want different spending priorities, then get involved in city government and change them. This golf clubhouse was part of a public vote. Just like MAPS have been public votes. They both suggest the majority of OKCityans agree with the current plan for spending.
    if true, this speaks volumes!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    if true, this speaks volumes!
    It’s true when over half of the OKC population who can vote vote yes; otherwise, the statement should be changed to: ‘They both suggest the majority of those who voted agree with the current plan for spending.’ There’s a significant difference between these two scenarios. Just something to think about. My main concern is ensuring maximum impact for every dollar invested. Whether it’s golf courses, basketball courts, parking lots, or something else, prioritize what the majority of the population needs most and then proceed down the list. Don’t lose sleep over it!

3. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

Or - hear me out - prioritize the things that voters themselves have prioritized by voting for, and separately prioritize things that generate revenue and additional sales taxes for the City of OKC. Oh, and quality of life enhancements are also important. Golf checks every one of these boxes.

I can't wait for the new clubhouse. A great place to go sit on their veranda with a view of the lake in a great setting.

I went by the old facility a few years ago to take photos and it was pretty much the same as when I'd go tag along with my dad in the 60's. Glad I saw and documented it, now time to move forward.

5. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Was expanded and reconfigured a bit in the 90s (or perhaps the very early aughts), but without question it’s tired, cramped, and doesn’t take advantage of its setting, which is a special one. I hit balls at Lincoln Park late this afternoon and multiple times in recent weeks, and it’s just night and day. Lake Hefner and NW OKC deserve far better.

While we're at it, I wish Stars and Stripes Park would receive more attention sometime soon. It has the potential to be one of the most beautiful parks in the city. The last time I was there, it was a haven for marijuana smokers, and trash was everywhere.

These are the final plans, slightly revised.

Edit: nevermind, glass is on the back side.

This is a neat building, especially with all the windows looking out onto the lake, if my geography is accurate

9. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

“Maxwell’s” is surely a tip of the cap to Perry Maxwell, who among other courses designed Dornick Hills in Ardmore, where he grew up, Southern Hills, Twin Hills, Oklahoma City Golf and Country Club, Prairie Dunes in Hutchinson, KS (often rated as one of the top 10-25 courses in the U.S. and perhaps the best dunes-style course outside of Scotland), plus major renovations or other significant contributions to Pine Valley, Augusta National, Colonial, and Merion, among others. Hefner was his final full course design to be built in his lifetime.

One of the greatest golf architects of all time, under appreciated in Oklahoma, I’m my opinion, probably due to how much time has passed due to his death. Glad to see him getting this recognition here.

Would be great if they restored portions of the the north course to something that resembled his design, which ran along side the lake much more than the current routing. And remove the trees to open up views to the lake. If you look closely out there you can still see some of the original green sites. Completely agree about Perry, though. He probably is more notable to golf aficionados outside of Oklahoma than inside, though this does seem to be changing a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4403.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	19087

It will be interesting to see which Maxwell’s is better, as this is also the name of the primary restaurant in the recently-renovated Twin Hills clubhouse, unless a cease and desist is forthcoming.

11. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

This par of the conversation caused me to go read more about Perry Maxwell, and I discovered I was wrong about him growing up in Ardmore. I knew he was originally from Kentucky, but thought he’d moved to Oklahoma as a child. Instead it appears that he moved to Ardmore as an adult. He had to quit college in Kentucky due to having tuberculosis, and moved here, apparently to live in a drier climate. He became a cashier at a bank and was ultimately promoted to vice president before he started designing courses.

12. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

Here’s a fairly detailed write up I found on Maxwell: https://www.top100golfcourses.com/ar.../perry-maxwell

^ That is correct. If anyone is interested in learning more about him, highly recommend The Midwest Associate by Chris Clouser. There's also a local Perry Maxwell society that is a fun group, and the Perry Maxwell Archive (https://www.perrymaxwellarchive.com) is probably the most comprehensive online record of his work and life. There's also a lot of good information on Golf Club Atlas, especially regarding his higher end courses. His grave at Dornick is a great pilgrimage for any Maxwell fan.

Here's info and Oklahoman excerpts for Lake Hefner:

https://www.perrymaxwellarchive.com/lake-he

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    It will be interesting to see which Maxwell’s is better, as this is also the name of the primary restaurant in the recently-renovated Twin Hills clubhouse, unless a cease and desist is forthcoming.
    Ha. And the restaurant at Dornick is called the Maxwell Room. Someone somewhere should be getting some licensing money.

15. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    This par of the conversation caused me to go read more about Perry Maxwell, and I discovered I was wrong about him growing up in Ardmore. I knew he was originally from Kentucky, but thought he’d moved to Oklahoma as a child. Instead it appears that he moved to Ardmore as an adult. He had to quit college in Kentucky due to having tuberculosis, and moved here, apparently to live in a drier climate. He became a cashier at a bank and was ultimately promoted to vice president before he started designing courses.
    I love the appropriate typo in your first sentence

16. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

^^^^^^^
    Haha, a rare UNintentional pun from me

17. Default Re: Lake Hefner Golf Course

If the food is good the view from a second story will be well worth going for just to eat/drink. Much better than the East Wharf restaurants that you're looking right into the sun most of the year at dinner time.

Thread Information