Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Truck Tacos

Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Perhaps, paraphrasing Forrest's momma: courtesy is as courtesy does?

Haven't been there, don't know myself.
    Nope, they're rude when you walk in the door, even if you have a smile on your face. BTT is a little better and aren't that way usually unless you walk in close to closing time or ask for a special request on your order (which I haven't had the need to do).

2. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

repeated rude service is a deal breaker, for me.

anyone guilty of it at my place will soon be looking for another job.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Whatever, BTT and Coffee Slingers are soup nazi's. After last week, I hope I never return to Coffee Slingers, and will be moving all requests from clients or people I do business with that want to meet up at Coffee Slingers. Melody is a jerk everytime I've been in and to people I've met up with. Who cares if they offer an "east coast" flavor to OKC, that's not an excuse for rudeness or hostility towards patrons. BTT is a little better, but I've been hearing a lot of the same complaints as of late. Yes, they both offer a unique, quality product. But I'm not going to bend over, just because that's how they are.
    so...what makes coffee slingers an "east coast flavor" and what makes Melody a jerk? I didn't think she was from the east coast, and its surely not a style of coffee shop you would necessarily find on the east coast more than any other place in the US. Just what are you trying to say? That's like when I visit NJ and people think that everyone from OKC are hicks and that the only food you get out here is fast food. Makes me really, really upset.

ok rant done, I still want to try this BTT joint, although eataroundokc gave it a so-so review (said it was a bit pricey and not everything is a winner). But I'm betting that sometimes the "rudeness" factor is something that if you expect walking in, you'll surely experience.

Jerzee, I never claimed it has an "east coast" flavor, but several others who defend the place have said that several occasions, so Slingers fans words, not mine. As for what makes her a jerk is her attitude towards customers. She'll mock me for a good few minutes if I order a soda or water instead of coffee, throw a hissy fit if you pay with debit card (especially if under 5 bucks), it's a cofee shop Melody, people shouldn't have to spend more than 5 bucks. Last week, she was rude to a client of mine for not immediately getting his coffee from the counter since he waited a good 45 seconds to go up there to get it. Needless to say, I took my business meetings elsewhere after last week.

5. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by JerzeeGrlinOKC View Post
    so...what makes coffee slingers an "east coast flavor" and what makes Melody a jerk? I didn't think she was from the east coast, and its surely not a style of coffee shop you would necessarily find on the east coast more than any other place in the US. Just what are you trying to say? That's like when I visit NJ and people think that everyone from OKC are hicks and that the only food you get out here is fast food. Makes me really, really upset.

ok rant done, I still want to try this BTT joint, although eataroundokc gave it a so-so review (said it was a bit pricey and not everything is a winner). But I'm betting that sometimes the "rudeness" factor is something that if you expect walking in, you'll surely experience.
    The Guardian taco is def a winner.

I've had the Guardian twice, it's definitely good, but I don't think it's anything unusual or to write home about, even though it is buffalo meat. I'd say the Crispy Cado or their "5th Amendment" are more unique than anything.

Metro..... You sound as if you need a hug.

8. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

The seats at BTT are just as bad as Coffee Slingers. That's the problem. No matter what anyone says, when they don't like a restaurant, it's not the food or service, it's the furniture.
    And yes, Metro needs a hug. Often.

I went there Saturday night and the Flaming Lips was awesome! My new favorite Taco place. I saw Kirk Humphries there and later at Cuppies and Joes.

I don't know any of the names, but the fried avocado taco is pretty darn good. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the first Mexican restaurant that popped into my head if I was trying to think of a place to eat, but it's a unique experience and not to be missed.

11. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Okie Baja was one of the tastier fish tacos I've eaten.

I stopped in for lunch yesterday…..pretty good tacos, but $9 for three tacos is pretty steep for me to be perfectly honest. It might make for a nice change every once in a while. I work in the Capitol Complex and it’s an easy drive for me. Passed it many times and wondered what the big deal was. Now I know.

What I like about Big Truck Tacos is that they're an urban restaurant concept, and they had the guts to buy an old Del Rancho on 23rd St. and put their business there. The tacos are pricey, but they're unique enough that I think people will be willing to pay what they're asking.

14. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Had tacos from the truck today. Had a 5th and a pork verde.

Taste: pork was really pretty good. 5th was decent. They were each very messy, though. I don't think you could easily eat them on the street.

Service: very friendly, but took longer than two tacos should. Kogi Tacos is about 2-3X faster.

Price: Overpriced. $3.25/taco, and they're not big.

Atmosphere: fun! They had music playing and propane heaters set up so you could wait in...well, not comfort, but better than nothign! (pretty cold today).

Overall: a tasty treat. Probably not one for you when you're in a hurry or when you want to watch your money.

What's your guess for today's 5th, Mallen?

BTT has dialed back the rudeness lately. Now it's more like indifference. They've added a new hot sauce which I like.

For those getting take out, do they still insist on putting the food in brown paper bags? The moisture from the taco leakage destroys the bags by the time you reach your destination.

It's still very good, but I wish the tacos were just a wee bit cheaper.

I’ve been a few times now……I go to lunch at 11am to try to beat the usual rush wherever I’m going, but man, I just barely make it over there before the rush hits. Personally, I wouldn’t wait around if I came in to a line out the door. It already takes long enough if you get there with a reasonable line and the seating is really pretty limited.

The tacos I’ve had have all been really good. Avocado, chicken, beef, bison, pork……all good. I love their salsas too! Well, the red and green ones at least. Those others are painfully hot. I like spicy, but whoa! I’m glad they offer them though.

Upon reading of their 'dialing down the rudeness,' I went last night. Sure enough there were two new faces behind the registers and each of them were smiling and thanked me for coming in. Then when they called out my name, a new lady same out and gave me my food and made sure I was hooked up on salsa before I left (to go order). Food hasn't faltered either. This is a HUGE improvement. Good work.

Yes, I think someone there has gotten the message. One of the rudest people there was a youngish girl, but I haven't seen her around lately. Maybe they launched her.

Went in yesterday for the first time in a month or so, and it was still great. Finally convinced some co-workers to go with me and all enjoyed the food, though a few were miffed with the wait and lack of seating. We went at about 12:45.
    But all said they'd go back, but would wait until 1:30 or so to go.

Am I the only one in Oklahoma City that thinks this place is entirely overrated? Way better tacos at well, ANYWHERE ELSE.

22. Default Re: Big Truck Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by mikeypayload View Post
    Am I the only one in Oklahoma City that thinks this place is entirely overrated? Way better tacos at well, ANYWHERE ELSE.
    nope.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeypayload View Post
    I agree, there are better tacos around and at a better price. However, I do think their breakfast burritos are solid. I think it just has a bunch of hype because of the area it is located.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I agree, there are better tacos around and at a better price. However, I do think their breakfast burritos are solid. I think it just has a bunch of hype because of the area it is located.
    Sometimes the atmosphere (who you see, etc.) is worth more than the food. I definitely agree on the breakfast burritos. I much prefer BTT for breakfast than any other time.

who has better tacos than btt? ...'cause wherever that place is, i'd like to try 'em out. -M

Thread Information