Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Real OKC snow routes?

Default Re: Real OKC snow routes?

"Training" the personal is probably a better term.

Here is the number of 8''+ snowfalls Oklahoma has had from 1951-2001.

3. Default Re: Real OKC snow routes?

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    It's funny how all we hear is "government is too big, they need to stay out of our business, they waste money, blah, blah, blah, now whe we have a little snow and ice, they expect the government to clear every single road and sidewalk in town.
    I think it is more interesting when we want to discuss actual figures to see if there is a cost advantage for the city (lost tax revenue vs. cost to expand snow removal fleet) you got very snide and sarcastic and started attacking opposing views. It is okay to just say "sorry, I don't have this information to provide" and back away from the discussion.

Jn - I saw that map a few weeks ago doing some research, it does give a good idea of the occurrence of large snow events. Of course, we have had 3 (today's doesn't count as it wasn't near 8) in the last 2 years. But we also need to look deeper than that because it seems even 4 or 5 inches brings the city to a halt.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I think it is more interesting when we want to discuss actual figures to see if there is a cost advantage for the city (lost tax revenue vs. cost to expand snow removal fleet) you got very snide and sarcastic and started attacking opposing views. It is okay to just say "sorry, I don't have this information to provide" and back away from the discussion.

Jn - I saw that map a few weeks ago doing some research, it does give a good idea of the occurrence of large snow events. Of course, we have had 3 (today's doesn't count as it wasn't near 8) in the last 2 years. But we also need to look deeper than that because it seems even 4 or 5 inches brings the city to a halt.
    You know what hey say about opinions---some are bigger than others!

Just a word of thanks & congratulations to the City this time around. The same routes that were passable but not in great shape were cleared and mostly dry within 24 hrs of this latest snow event. Granted we didn't have the ice underneath and not near as much snow as the first time (or what was forecast), but they did a great job. The routes I am comparing are N. Portland, NW Expressway, Hefner Parkway, Memorial.

Good news... City is looking to add more snowplows to their fleet!

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet View Post
    Good news... City is looking to add more snowplows to their fleet!
    That would be good news.
    Where did you see/hear this?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    You know what hey say about opinions---some are bigger than others!
    Opinions are like a**holes... Everyone has them... and yes, "some are bigger than others!"

It may be 100+ outside but we shouldn’t forget about this problem!

Can anyone offer an update about what OKC is doing to purchase more snow removal equipment?

10. Default Re: Real OKC snow routes?

I'm sure the city has already forgot about it. LOL

11. Default Re: Real OKC snow routes?

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I'm sure the city has already forgot about it. LOL
    Same here. No one was thinking of it until.....

You are Correct, Sir (ou48A, Post #88, above):

Especially Correct, since I was--[PERSONALLY!]--vehicularly-stranded last winter (for three-plus days, at temps down around -3-deg.), due to an apparent lack of Municipal Planning and/or Funding for hiring independent contractors with tractors/box blades (replete with street clearing refund validation vouchers) to clear the humble side streets leading to The Official Snow Routes leading to places where The Flow of Commerce takes place.

I'm not sure . . .

But I think that I heard that the funds designated (more years ago to count) for new snow removal equipment were redirected to providing Pavement Painting and Signage for Bicyclist Safety (and for the upcoming downtown flash mob bubble blowing cleanup).

Well . . . You know the old saying: "Make hay--and buy snow removal equipment--while the sun shines."

(Jim "Hot Pockets" Gaffigan [imaginary aside]: "Wow . . . That's the biggest a**hole opinion I've ever read . . . " I don't like that at all . . .)

Thread Information