Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I thought it was because of the Glam AF sign! LOL
    I don't get it. Because we don't go to clubs or bars (except on very rare occasions), and think a sign or restaurant name is stupid (and sometimes insulting to the intelligence) and have literally 50+ other brand-new restaurants to try (plus dozens more we have been to and go back to), we get ridiculed until the end of time? Internet does what internet does, y'all need to get a life...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I don't get it. Because we don't go to clubs or bars (except on very rare occasions), and think a sign or restaurant name is stupid (and sometimes insulting to the intelligence) and have literally 50+ other brand-new restaurants to try (plus dozens more we have been to and go back to), we get ridiculed until the end of time? Internet does what internet does, y'all need to get a life...
    Yes. Between Glam AF and your vendetta against Sauced, you’ve earned the ire of the internet. Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame or infamy or something .

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yes. Between Glam AF and your vendetta against Sauced, you’ve earned the ire of the internet. Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame or infamy or something .
    Speaking of Sauced, their pizza sucks now. Crust is nowhere close to being the best (or close to) in OKC like it used to be, it's thin and a pale shadow of Empire's crust (which isn't that great). Had the honey buratta, tastes like chicken and one other one that was so unimpressive I can't remember it. Toppings weren't tasty, they were just there, nowhere close to what it used to be like. Wife had a hard time finishing the bones (and that *never* happens, even on frozen pizzas). Best part of the meal was the Coors Banquet on tap. I'm sure they'll do quite well, but we're never going to darken their doorstep again...

Speaking of Sauced, their pizza sucks now. Crust is nowhere close to being the best (or close to) in OKC like it used to be, it's thin and a pale shadow of Empire's crust (which isn't that great). Had the honey buratta, tastes like chicken and one other one that was so unimpressive I can't remember it. Toppings weren't tasty, they were just there, nowhere close to what it used to be like. Wife had a hard time finishing the bones (and that *never* happens, even on frozen pizzas). Best part of the meal was the Coors Banquet on tap. I'm sure they'll do quite well, but we're never going to darken their doorstep again...
    BIG surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BIG surprise.
    Have you eaten there before and after, and if so, how do *you* think they compare? There are tons of people out there that think they suck compared to what they used to be, so it's not just me sitting out there alone in the wilderness...

Have you eaten there before and after, and if so, how do *you* think they compare? There are tons of people out there that think they suck compared to what they used to be, so it's not just me sitting out there alone in the wilderness...
    Also, I wouldn't be sure that Sauced is doing so well. I take evening walks through the Paseo a few times per week and the patio certainly isn't as busy as it was in past summers. This is even more pronounced given that the district as a whole is way more active than it was pre-COVID.

Back on topic...the fact that this place has such an informative website up and running before opening does make me feel better that the operators know what they are doing, despite some of the other misgivings I have. Prices look very reasonable as well for the dining experience that they're offering, so I'll at least give it a chance and maybe I'll like the interior more in person.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    big surprise.
    lolol

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Also, I wouldn't be sure that Sauced is doing so well. I take evening walks through the Paseo a few times per week and the patio certainly isn't as busy as it was in past summers. This is even more pronounced given that the district as a whole is way more active than it was pre-COVID.

Back on topic...the fact that this place has such an informative website up and running before opening does make me feel better that the operators know what they are doing, despite some of the other misgivings I have. Prices look very reasonable as well for the dining experience that they're offering, so I'll at least give it a chance and maybe I'll like the interior more in person.
    Yep, agreed, we'll wait a month or so and hit it up after they have the kinks worked out, looks interesting.

One more thing about Sauced…it’s like walking into a 1985 Pizza Hut.
    Which I mean as a compliment, it’s a great time warp. I almost felt the pull to head up to Northpark Mall to catch ‘Back To The Future’, ‘The Breakfast Club’ or some other great movie from ‘85.
    Almost.

OK, I'll admit it. I admire the work they did to the interior but the food isn't as good. It's unfortunate.

11. Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

I came here to read about the new spot and all I see is Sauced stuff. Take it to the Sauced thread please!

Gorgeous JK by Chef King opens today downtown

Trained in London, Paris, New York, and Tokyo, Chef King Dey is bringing modern Asian cuisine to a beautiful spot at 612 N Broadway.

The restaurant is located immediately north of the under-construction Citizen Building and directly across from the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum.

Hours are 5 PM to 10 PM Tuesday through Thursday; open until 11 PM Saturday and Sunday. They are already booking fast but reservations can be made through Open Table.

looking at the decor, i'm afraid this restaurant might attract the wrong kind of attention... : )

I love the fact that this is such a radical departure from the weird industrial modern farmhouse look infusing many new restaurants in OKC. It's unique to say the least.

They are already pretty well booked up for the next couple of weeks, and that was before we posted about them.

They show a lunch menu on their website and I hope they soon add lunch to their hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are already pretty well booked up for the next couple of weeks, and that was before we posted about them.

They show a lunch menu on their website and I hope they soon add lunch to their hours.
    We just booked a 4 top and the earliest I found at decent time was August 29th. However.....open table shows they are taking lunch reservations starting August 29th at 11 am also

17. Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    We just booked a 4 top and the earliest I found at decent time was August 29th. However.....open table shows they are taking lunch reservations starting August 29th at 11 am also
    I saw an Instagram post that showed they were completely sold out of reservation spots from today until the 12th and then also Aug. 18th and 19th. It also says there are a final few spots left. That is good news for them.

Food looks great and the decor is such a 180 from the standard for OKC, I can't wait to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard85 View Post
    Food looks great and the decor is such a 180 from the standard for OKC, I can't wait to give it a shot.
    Credit to them for going big and bold and offering something unique.

20. Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

They did a really good job of reaching out to some of the local foodie social media people. Those people did a great job showing off the food and letting everyone get to see the interior from a different perspective. If they can keep up this pace, it will for sure become a place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I love the fact that this is such a radical departure from the weird industrial modern farmhouse look infusing many new restaurants in OKC. It's unique to say the least.
    I dig it. Vibrant colors, funky designs, casual seating, etc go a long way in adding to a nightlife scene. Reminds me of a nightclub in Berlin, Amsterdam, Budapest, Prague, one of those cities but without the clubbing.

Not a good sign that most of the photos of food/beverage on their IG have been ripped from other restaurants/chefs.

Quote Originally Posted by BBQisgoodfood View Post
    Not a good sign that most of the photos of food/beverage on their IG have been ripped from other restaurants/chefs.
    really?

Where did the food pictures come from in Pete's post #87?

I watched a video of the soft opening and the food matched what was in the photos. I'm sure they took liberties with items they saw that matched what they were wanting to do.

Thread Information