Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Borders closing OKC store - Norman Spared

Default Re: Borders closing OKC store - Norman Spared

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Those of you lamenting the loss of Borders should instead be celebrating the continued survival of Full Circle Books and Best of Books and patronizing them as much as possible.
    The "buy local" movement is long overdue, in all industries!

I think maybe someone mis-translated the phrase: "Controlling the Borders" . . .
    Frankly, when it comes to bookstores, I still miss Bolliger's (on N. May).

(We will all know that The Mayans were right when Full Circle closes on Dec. 21, 2012.)

Brian: Maybe a bumpersticker saying "Support Your Local Bookstore" is far overdue.
    (Like that $6.00 Library fine I still owe . . .)

3. Default Re: Borders closing OKC store - Norman Spared

I've tried local bookstores in the past and they didn't suit me as they never had up-to-date software and computer books. Haven't tried in awhile though.

I spent a lot of time at that Borders in Norman, and always wished it was closer to campus. With just B&N by the highway I wonder if they would build a central location by OU that sells more in the way of textbooks with a larger coffee shop/study area.

I still miss Rector's and they closed when Urban Renewal began decimating downtown.

It looks like Party Galaxy is moving in to the old Borders store on NW Expressway. Then again they could be renting it out for a Halloween store being that the old Circuit City has been taken by Golds.

7. Default Re: Borders closing OKC store - Norman Spared

It was awesome how they grabbed up all that real estate in the boom and then shut down all those local bookstores and now this....it's funny, and something a lot of the boneheads in OKC leadership dont understand and never will until it's way too late.... hey! lets build a convention center and attach a hotel to it, subsidized by tax payers!!!! I know they aren't necessary or sustainable but oh well...when it doesn't work we can just make another thread like this one!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4Mayor View Post
    It was awesome how they grabbed up all that real estate in the boom and then shut down all those local bookstores and now this....it's funny, and something a lot of the boneheads in OKC leadership dont understand and never will until it's way too late.... hey! lets build a convention center and attach a hotel to it, subsidized by tax payers!!!! I know they aren't necessary or sustainable but oh well...when it doesn't work we can just make another thread like this one!!!!
    Excuse me? What does the closing of a book store have to do with OKC leadership and building a convention center? That's a stretch to put it mildly.

9. Default Re: Borders closing OKC store - Norman Spared

Borders business model, the reason they are done-for (not all the stories you hear in the MSM about e-books and the like) is similar to the things the Chamber of (some types of) Commerce, Cornett, etc... are all about. Not a stretch if you can take a second to think about it.

Borders business model, the reason they are done-for (not all the stories you hear in the MSM about e-books and the like) is similar to the things the Chamber of (some types of) Commerce, Cornett, etc... are all about. Not a stretch if you can take a second to think about it.
    Some never give up. Thought for sure post election blues would have healed by now.

I took a second and still see absolutely no connection.

12. Default Re: Borders closing OKC store - Norman Spared

first as tragedy, then as farce

first as tragedy, then as farce
    That could be a good campaign slogan.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I took a second and still see absolutely no connection.
    I voted for Cornett twice and while I am no longer a Cornett fan and would have a hard time voting for him ever again (over many issues), I am not seeing the connection here either. Especially how it related to Borders closing? That other post just confudeled me.

The business model that failed isn't books, it was financing rapid expansion with cheap and easy credit, then when credit is not as cheap or easy to get you have a huge amount of debt service coming due all the time that you can't pay on. There is very little difference between the house flipper types that ran into that same problem and multi-national corporations that failed doing that. All of them got drunk with cheap and easy credit.

I was at the Barnes & Noble at The Arboretum today and it was packed in there and there were many buying books. That location is one of the few in Austin that carries many of the professional books that I need, I bought a 3DS Max 2012 book and was looking at some of the new building code books.

Thread Information