Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Leo's BBQ

Default Re: Leo's BBQ Strawberry-Banana Cake Recipe

Hey everyone, I really appreciate all of the non-recipe responses...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Leos at least made it on one of the Food Network programs (forget which one) and they didn't feature crap food so that says something. I know they mentioned the desert and think they showed delivering to the Capitol. Don't know if they gave the recipe for anything or not, but may be able to catch it on a repeat?
    Larry, it was Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I love that show. When we travel, I look at the towns and cities we'll be spending time in and try to find if he's been to any unique eateries in the area that we can try. It doesn't always work out but we've had some pretty awesome meals that way. In the OKC area I had already eaten at most of the ones he's featured but not Nic's or the catfish place. I now eat at Nic's about every month or so and I'm still waiting to try the catfish place.
    Back to Leo's, I don't recall them giving the cake recipe. I think I would have remembered it, but I could be wrong.

3. Default Re: Leo's BBQ Strawberry-Banana Cake Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post
    Hey everyone, I really appreciate all of the non-recipe responses...
    Lets be realistic - what are the odds there is actually going to be a published recipe for a locally owned restaurant's favorite dessert?

Second, discussing the business in general is a heck of alot better than you posting a question and then the nothing..... ever....

Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post
    Does anyone have the recipe for Leo's BBQ Strawberry-Banana Cake? I've been looking, but cant find anything so far....
    Never ate at Leo's, but am very curious about the cake. Can someone describe it to me? I've found a number of recipes on cooks.com for "strawberry-banana" cake, and some sounded good, but there were vast differences in the recipes; I'd hate to do a "trial and error" because there were too many of them. I'm curious about the general composition, i.e., were the strawberries & bananas IN the cake, between layers, or on top of it, etc., since several of you mentioned you liked it; might be fun to try.

Can anyone describe it? Thanks.

The cake is yellow-ish and two layers, with bananas and strawberries on top (and bananas between the layers):

See more details starting about 4:25 on this video:

I can always count on Pete to help out

The pic of a slice on a plate almost makes it look like a pound cake. But it is much, much lighter than a pound cake...the frosting between the layers is light as well...I dont think it has much butter...its more like a whipped cream consistentcy...

As I recall, the cake is homemade yellow cake -- perhaps with some strawberry/banana flavor in the mix.

I'm sure the icing (more like a glaze) is made with powdered sugar and a bit of butter and milk. It's similar to what you find on many bundt cakes.

They drizzle the glaze/icing over the fruit on top which is what makes the strawberries and bananas so tasty. That, and serving the cake warm!

Default Leo's BBQ

Does anyone know the story on Leo's BBQ. Are they open? I've called and no answer. Also, I've read on Urbanspoon that they moved locations?

Default Re: Leo's BBQ

The last time that I tried to go there (last spring) the downtown location was closed but the 36th & Kelly location was supposed to have reopened. I never did make it out there though.

I was just at the 36th and Kelly location last week.....still have great bbq. Don't know about the downtown location though.

Thanks! I'll try the 36th and Kelly location. I'm trying to secure one of those cakes for a friend's bday.

12. Default Re: Leo's BBQ

Downtown has been closed for awhile. Actually, appears for several months people were living in the restaurant. They claimed they were trying to reopen the downtown location as a steak restaurant - don't know how realistic that is (have my doubts).

I thought the downtown location was closed due to tax issues (non-payment I think?).

14. Default Re: Leo's BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by OSUPeterson View Post
    I thought the downtown location was closed due to tax issues (non-payment I think?).
    If I remember correctly, that was the original reason - as there was an official notice posted on their door back then. They've always suffered from cash flow issues. I'm actually shocked the downtown building could pass inspection if it tried to reopen.

15. Default Re: Leo's BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Downtown has been closed for awhile. Actually, appears for several months people were living in the restaurant. They claimed they were trying to reopen the downtown location as a steak restaurant - don't know how realistic that is (have my doubts).
    Well if they're living there, probably not very realistic.

16. Default Re: Leo's BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well if they're living there, probably not very realistic.
    It appeared 4-6 people were living there for many months - however, as of late, I have not seen the signs of life inside that I used to when I'd arrive at the downtown Y at 5:30am. So, I'm thinking it was a temporary thing. Maybe family or something.

Fire at Leo's BBQ. Fortunately, it was small and self-contained. KFOR's story and video are linked below.

Leo?s Barbecue on fire in northeast Oklahoma City | KFOR.com

18. Default Re: Leo's BBQ

Ok... the last sentence in that article totally left me scratching my head.... Smoke on the walls at Leo's can hardly be considered damage.

Thread Information