Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 60 floor concepts on new Devon tower site.

Default Re: 60 floor concepts on new Devon tower site.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    ...it will have to be sustainable with geothermal, solar panels, etc. I'm going off grid.
    If you can handle nice but plain, a relative in the land biz in se ok can hook you up rather quickly. Kick a pm if you care for more info and her contact info,

[QUOTE=Just the facts;446978]I was just looking at this old thread that showed pictures of what a Devon Tower could look like. I wish they had gone with a more urban design like this one. Not the design of the tower necessarily, but pushing the buildings out to the street and creating positive interior space instead of negative exterior space.

I wish they could have extended Harvey through as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    I wish they could have extended Harvey through as well.
    In a perfect world they would have put Main St back in as well. The super-blocks screwed up downtown. The more we can get rid of the better.

4. Default Re: 60 floor concepts on new Devon tower site.

There are definitely some retro 80's style strcutures in that group...the lego-look. I actually liked several of them until they did the renderings/actual models. There is a lot of unused space in a lot of the buildings. But hey, they're students and they are trying to come up with something iconic. So A for effort for them for sure.

Personally, I don't care if something "matches" the skyline. I'd just assume not get stuck in the previous era and move into some new modern styling. Several of these are similar in style to what one can see being built in Asia right now. Sometimes i feel like there are more "interesting" buildings being built there than in the U.S.....that we play it too safe these days.

I think most of Asia's skyscrapers are absolutely hideous. They are interesting and fun, but hideous.

6. Default Re: 60 floor concepts on new Devon tower site.

Now I will say there are some doozies out there that make me cringe. But we just seem to keep building so many international style shoeboxes in the U.S. We have such little flare these days in our design. That's probably as much the fault of the client as the architect though.

Take something iconic as the CitiGroup Center. It's got an interesting hat, and they had to be creative at the bottom for the church to fit, but other than that, it's still a square foot shoebox. Head over to the skyscraperpage.com forums and check out highrise construction some time. Even the short drive to Canada gets you more interesting shapes than here.

Thread Information