Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

I'm so glad I have my portable record player and collection of 45's.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    While I mostly agree with you (well, not about the hip-hop) - how many times can you post the same thing? You've posted practically the same thing too many times to count. They still aren't listening to you. People who listen to hip-hop, generally speaking, don't have two nickles to rub together. Not exactly a money-making demographic. It's also hard to keep advertisers on hip-hop because they don't want the association with rape, assault, misogyny, murder, profanity, etc.
    Seems like a prejudicial statement. If you're willing to bet, I'd bet you $ 100 there are at least a half-dozen multimillionaires in OKC who'd list their favorite recording artists as Jay-Z, Kanye, Drake, Eminem, or some other hip-hop artist. If I had a Lambo or Maserati dealership, I might advertise a little on a hip-hop station.

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    You would be shocked cold by how many rural Oklahomans listen to hip-hop. I have met a lot of people in places like Elk City who aren't African American but pretend to be, and they listen to nothing but hip-hop.

Houston also has two hip-hip stations that can barely be picked up beyond Harris County.
    OKC could probably support at least one hip-hop station if programmed correctly for the market. Wild 97.9 back in the day was a smash success and that was pretty close. A good station isn't just about the music but also about the mix shows, DJs, etc. Today's Wild 104.9 isn't even a shell of what the old station run by Citadel was. A station like 92.1 the Beat in Tulsa would probably do well here.

Someone needs to revolt against how the radio station situation sucks in OKC by putting up a pirate FM station of at least 100 watts and play music that should be playing on the air. Run the station on a channel that won't interfere with the locals. Run it only when the FCC doesn't work, like on weekends and nights, and it would be interesting to see how long the station lasts.

5. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Just about ten years ago, someone ran an unlicensed R&B/hip-hop station at 92.1; the FCC came down on him quickly, reportedly because he was wanted for some unrelated offense in Florida. I noted at the time that it was putting out a better signal than the Spy.

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    Just about ten years ago, someone ran an unlicensed R&B/hip-hop station at 92.1; the FCC came down on him quickly, reportedly because he was wanted for some unrelated offense in Florida. I noted at the time that it was putting out a better signal than the Spy.
    A translator like 96.5 would be perfect for a hip-hop station. It's cheap to run and it would reach its target audience well. I believe Perry is now running an adult R&B station on a translator at 92.1. If they could figure out a way to do the same with Power 103.5, that would be great. Meanwhile, I think Now 96.5 really needs to be on a real signal and go head to head with KJ-103.

7. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Yep. 92.1 is simulcasting Perry's KRMP (1140 AM), a 1-kw daytimer, and giving it a nighttime audience it wouldn't have gotten otherwise. It would be nice if they could snag another translator. (Meanwhile, 98.5 seems to be falling into the hands of the guys who run KREF in Norman, which is just as well, since KREF's OKC signal varies from lousy to nonexistent.)

Yep. 92.1 is simulcasting Perry's KRMP (1140 AM), a 1-kw daytimer, and giving it a nighttime audience it wouldn't have gotten otherwise. It would be nice if they could snag another translator. (Meanwhile, 98.5 seems to be falling into the hands of the guys who run KREF in Norman, which is just as well, since KREF's OKC signal varies from lousy to nonexistent.)
    Does OKC really need another FM sports talk? This is so disappointing. Now there will be 98.1, 98.5, 105.3, and 107.7 all doing sports talk on the FM dial. It seems like there is never any good news in OKC radio, unless you love country, classic rock, or sports talk.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Does OKC really need another FM sports talk? This is so disappointing. Now there will be 98.1, 98.5, 105.3, and 107.7 all doing sports talk on the FM dial.
    I suspect the market will sort that out if there aren't enough listeners.

Doesn't 98.5 just cover Norman anyway?

Does OKC really need another FM sports talk? This is so disappointing. Now there will be 98.1, 98.5, 105.3, and 107.7 all doing sports talk on the FM dial. It seems like there is never any good news in OKC radio, unless you love country, classic rock, or sports talk.
    This is a city that loves discuss the 9th Grade Freshman who is going to make the starting lineup at OU. Truth be told very few people listen to over the air radio anymore especially since just about every car and truck made these days come with ipod/mp3 player connections. Every station is programmed for the 15 minute listener. That is why you here the same song 5 times a day or the Sports Guys talking about the same thing from dawn til dusk.

Terrestrial radio isn't what it once was and seems to be going downhill everywhere. That said, OKC stations are in about the worst shape of any populated area anywhere. Much of it has to do with the fact most of the frequencies here are owned by low budget, small town operators that are afraid to take any risks. It all started going downhill when Cumulus bought out Citadel. Country and sports talk are known to be cash cows in this market so rather than branching out, they stick with what is proven and operate it on the lowest budget they can get away with. Its an entirely different situation in Tulsa and they have much better stations.

13. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Doesn't 98.5 just cover Norman anyway?
    For now. There's a construction permit (just approved earlier this month) to move north a bit (roughly from Lindsey to Alameda) and go up to 250 watts.

It's hard to believe OKC is getting yet another sports talk station. I thought it was bad when my favorite station, the Martini, switched to sports talk. Since then we've added two more, one on one of the best signals in the market. The thing is once a station goes sports it will probably stay there permanently. They are very cheap to run and bill high no matter the ratings.

For now. There's a construction permit (just approved earlier this month) to move north a bit (roughly from Lindsey to Alameda) and go up to 250 watts.
    But it'll still have issues in OKC, It will definately be subject to interference from KVOO out of Tulsa if the conditions are right.

This forum has a brighter future than over-the-air radio (and maybe local television in the long-run). I liked The Martini - it was different.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    This forum has a brighter future than over-the-air radio (and maybe local television in the long-run). I liked The Martini - it was different.
    It's unusual to find a station like The Martini on over-the-air radio these days. Las Vegas has one and I think a few other cities do but its not common. I really loved the station though and its sad they had to switch to a bland sports talk.

Radio in OKC is so bad these days you almost have no choice but to go with satellite or streaming (both options cost money). Believe me when I say that it IS better in almost any other market, with the exception of eastern New Mexico where there isn't much at all. I would like to think the market would correct it eventually and some more variety will make its way into the market but I have my doubts. The addition of yet another sports talk station proves those doubts. It wouldn't surprise me if before long we see quite a few stations that currently play music flip to conservative talk radio.

18. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

But it'll still have issues in OKC, It will definately be subject to interference from KVOO out of Tulsa if the conditions are right.
    I'm thinking they're cutting the separation requirements (203 km) pretty thin between central Norman and northwest Tulsa; the usual fringe-reception line for KVOO reaches to, but not beyond, the northeast corner of Cleveland County.

I'm thinking they're cutting the separation requirements (203 km) pretty thin between central Norman and northwest Tulsa; the usual fringe-reception line for KVOO reaches to, but not beyond, the northeast corner of Cleveland County.
    There's also KACO out of Apache/Anadarko area thats on 98.5 that will give this translator some issues too.

Amazing how these days you have to pay for stuff you once got for free and nobody seems to care.
    Not really you can still get music for free. Just check out CD's from the library and rip them to your computer. You can check out 30 CD's at a time and the selection is decent (has plenty of R&B, Jazz, Alt and Classic Rock, Oldies, and Classical). If you don't have a smart phone just buy an Ipod Classic and then you don't need to listen to the radio. The only negative is no talk radio. But I do agree I can't see why anyone would pay for satellite radio it certainly isn't worth it. The only people that pay for stuff they can get legally for free are either suckers or just just don't realize that $10 a month really starts to add up. That money could be spent better else where or better yet saved.

21. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

There's also KACO out of Apache/Anadarko area thats on 98.5 that will give this translator some issues too.
    Good call. I forgot to look in that direction, figuring there wasn't much to be seen; but they're a C3 with 18 kw, which should put them right into McClain County.

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post
    This is a city that loves discuss the 9th Grade Freshman who is going to make the starting lineup at OU. Truth be told very few people listen to over the air radio anymore especially since just about every car and truck made these days come with ipod/mp3 player connections. Every station is programmed for the 15 minute listener. That is why you here the same song 5 times a day or the Sports Guys talking about the same thing from dawn til dusk.
    I hear radio stations playing in people's cars everyday man.

Amazing how these days you have to pay for stuff you once got for free and nobody seems to care.
    While I don't beleive or condone pirating, if you really don't have $10 a month to spend on Spotify or $20 a month for satellite radio, go to Piratebay.org Download music, movies, games, software! The Pirate Bay - The galaxy's most resilient BitTorrent site

I used to use it all the time, but since I've recently started making some music on Fruityloop.... I've kind of viewed it differently and I want to give credit where it is due. That would be your best bet if you absolutely can't pay for it.

You have always had to "pay" for radio, through ads or direct payment. For the most part what is on my 160gb iPod Classic is music from the CD's that I own and ripped. I also have Sirius and listen to it some on my iPhone but mostly the radio in the car, my wife has one at her office.

I use Spotify most of the time. I also have SirusXm and love it. Mostly listen to Electric Area or BPM

Thread Information