Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Charcoal Oven new location

Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The owner's name is Billy Allen -- he also owned that Jersey Mike's.

Check his Facebook page at your own peril.
    That sucks, I can't support someone like that, even if the burgers are fantastic.

Same!

The owner's name is Billy Allen -- he also owned that Jersey Mike's.

Check his Facebook page at your own peril.
    Guess I'll be a one and done. Hope it's not as great as discussed in previous pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I'm just going to recommend checking every Billy Allen's Facebook page at your own peril..... And there are quite a few in Oklahoma City
    To clarify, I think he is Billy Allen (Rags). I went to that one quite frequently and he looks like the guy I always encountered. And yes, can confirm Fox News was always on.

5. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

All of the Billy Allens I know like to party. I’ll give this guy a chance even if he might be a bit Conservative.

oh, no... a business owner has a political opinion that i don't like. to the fainting couch!

now... the fact that he cooked a ribeye to 140°F is a completely different story.

Dave Cathey -- who has not reported on Charcoal Oven since last August immediately after we broke the story of the new location and he then stated they would open in November -- wrote this in today's Oklahoman:

" I decided to swing by the long-awaited Charcoal Oven to see if Billy Allen was any closer to opening".

So, no update in 8 months then suddenly today after we reported they had opened (after going by there 20-30 times for months on end) did he 'decide to swing by'.

Why actually do work when you can just sit on the OKCTalk social media feeds and let us do it for you, then lie about it?

Dave Cathey -- who has not reported on Charcoal Oven since last August immediately after we broke the story of the new location and he then stated they would open in November -- wrote this in today's Oklahoman:

" I decided to swing by the long-awaited Charcoal Oven to see if Billy Allen was any closer to opening".

So, no update in 8 months then suddenly today after we reported they had opened (after going by there 20-30 times for months on end) did he 'decide to swing by'.

Why actually do work when you can just sit on the OKCTalk social media feeds and let us do it for you, then lie about it?
    This is the least surprising thing I've read today.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    oh, no... a business owner has a political opinion that i don't like. to the fainting couch!

now... the fact that he cooked a ribeye to 140°F is a completely different story.
    I don't shop at Wal-mart (or Amazon) because of their business practices, I didn't ever go to Mike's Burgers (or whatever the place is that is also super right-wing), I don't go to Starbucks any longer because their managers at certain locations are idiots. I don't shop at places that I don't agree with their political opinions or operating procedures - what's so wrong about that? I harbor no illusion that they care if anybody does that, but I feel better not giving money to people/companies I don't agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I don't shop at Wal-mart (or Amazon) because of their business practices, I didn't ever go to Mike's Burgers (or whatever the place is that is also super right-wing), I don't go to Starbucks any longer because their managers at certain locations are idiots. I don't shop at places that I don't agree with their political opinions or operating procedures - what's so wrong about that? I harbor no illusion that they care if anybody does that, but I feel better not giving money to people/companies I don't agree with.
    + 1. Sounds like free market capitalism to me. I don't know what the basis of mocking is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    + 1. Sounds like free market capitalism to me. I don't know what the basis of mocking is all about.
    Because its OKCTalk and that is exactly what happens when you ruffle feathers of some.

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard85 View Post
    Because its OKCTalk and that is exactly what happens when you ruffle feathers of some.
    Well, Martin's answer had a bit of humor, so I really didn't take it to heart, just wanted to back up my point.

On a positive note, I'm gladdened to see the amount of interest forum participants are showing in a burger restaurant which is not a chain.

14. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

Are the onion rings like the old place?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Are the onion rings like the old place?
    Yes.

Still some of the best rings in town.

I know someone who went there on Saturday 4/17. Here's what he posted on FB:

Saturday I finally got in line at Charcoal Oven! There is no drive through which is a terrible mistake for a restaurant like this! Consequently I was there about an hour in total before I got my food. They are busy is the understatement! I ordered a Penn Square burger and a Charcoal Oven Frank with hickory sauce and of course a large order of onion rings. I asked that a tomato be added to the burger. The food is definitely the charcoal oven recipe and taste from before, YES especially the rings! I was delighted! They are very busy and possibly short staffed. (Help Wanted sign on the door). They forgot my tomato and I felt I got a small ring order instead of a large. I will definitely go back! The drive through locations on NW Expressway were my favorite Saturday lunch stops for years! Hopefully they will do well and rethink their location and add a drive through in the future! Now all I need is a County Line BBQ! I miss the 3 meat combo, same ol’ way!

Quote Originally Posted by billokc View Post
    I know someone who went there on Saturday 4/17. Here's what he posted on FB:

Saturday I finally got in line at Charcoal Oven! There is no drive through which is a terrible mistake for a restaurant like this! Consequently I was there about an hour in total before I got my food. They are busy is the understatement! I ordered a Penn Square burger and a Charcoal Oven Frank with hickory sauce and of course a large order of onion rings. I asked that a tomato be added to the burger. The food is definitely the charcoal oven recipe and taste from before, YES especially the rings! I was delighted! They are very busy and possibly short staffed. (Help Wanted sign on the door). They forgot my tomato and I felt I got a small ring order instead of a large. I will definitely go back! The drive through locations on NW Expressway were my favorite Saturday lunch stops for years! Hopefully they will do well and rethink their location and add a drive through in the future! Now all I need is a County Line BBQ! I miss the 3 meat combo, same ol’ way!
    There can never be a drive-through at that location, it's physically impossible due to the building layout (and a drive-through can't ever be retrofitted anywhere in that strip mall). Also, wife read about their lack of masks - counter employee had one, but no other employees did, not sure about the customers.

I visited on Saturday at about noon. Also waited an hour for my food.

I counted 3/8 employees wearing masks. 2 of which were worn correctly. Somebody in the back and a front person assembling orders. Cooks/registers/people in the back not so much.

Can confirm super busy and also waited an hour for my food. Ordered the cowboy (2/3 with bacon) with grilled onions and cheddar with small onion rings. Burger was super well done, but did have the charcoal taste. Was not seasoned otherwise. Onion rings were good. With the size and thickness of breading my jaw eventually got tired of chewing.

Overall, I'd go next door to the patty wagon. I am curious whether or not nostalgia will be the main motivator for it's success. Customers were mostly masked, and correctly at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I visited on Saturday at about noon. Also waited an hour for my food.

I counted 3/8 employees wearing masks. 2 of which were worn correctly. Somebody in the back and a front person assembling orders. Cooks/registers/people in the back not so much.

Can confirm super busy and also waited an hour for my food. Ordered the cowboy (2/3 with bacon) with grilled onions and cheddar with small onion rings. Burger was super well done, but did have the charcoal taste. Was not seasoned otherwise. Onion rings were good. With the size and thickness of breading my jaw eventually got tired of chewing.

Overall, I'd go next door to the patty wagon. I am curious whether or not nostalgia will be the main motivator for it's success. Customers were mostly masked, and correctly at that.
    I love patty wagon. Maybe when it does down at charcoal oven I'll swing by. But for now patty wagon!

Finally had the opportunity to try CO for a late lunch today. Good burger & fries. Only a handful of others in there because was after the main lunch rush. I'll be back for future meals.

I guess this joint is closed for dinner? Was looking for takeout and thought I would give it a try. Had a tough time locating hours and their phone number to call ahead. After scouring Google I called the published number, which rerouted to an unanswered cell phone.

Seems like the son in law doesn't share the same standards as the progenitors of this operation.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I guess this joint is closed for dinner? Was looking for takeout and thought I would give it a try. Had a tough time locating hours and their phone number to call ahead. After scouring Google I called the published number, which rerouted to an unanswered cell phone.

Seems like the son in law doesn't share the same standards as the progenitors of this operation.

IIRC the hours when it opened was like 12-5. Pretty small window. Heard somebody working entertain closing at 9, but I guess the staff isn't up to snuff yet.

23. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

They may be having problems finding help like everyone else is.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    They may be having problems finding help like everyone else is.
    Very possible.

I gotta say it seems to me the owner is semi-retired and looking for something to get out of the house. He is stuck with the lease for a long term and doesn't appear to "need" the money. I'm guessing he is doing a soft opening for 30 hours a week and playing the schedule as it develops over the next few months. IMO, he ain't in a hurry and doesn't really care what we think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    ... IMO, he ain't in a hurry and doesn't really care what we think.
    Which is a really crappy attitude for a restaurateur to have...

Thread Information