Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 105 Degrees (closed)

Default Re: 105 Degrees

Had a chance to try the food last night at a sample dinner hosted by Chesapeake. Chef Kenney presented each course and talked a little about the process behind it and it was all very interesting. It was too much flavor for one night though, honestly about half way through my palate needed a break. I will definitely frequent the restaurant - the drinks and dessert alone are worth the trip.

1. Kimchi dumplings and ginger martini - 2nd favorite dish and favorite drink for both of us

2. Pho and spiced sweet and sour - least favorite dish although I liked it, my companion did not. The drink was by far the worst thing of the night. Tasted like juiced cilantro and bitters - took two drinks and set it aside.

3. Tomato & "cheese" taco - second least favorite dish. I liked the flavor but the "cheese" texture was a little foamy and strange and the acidity of the tomato was overpowering.

Spinach and citrus taco - it was okay. I'd much rather have the spinach filling as a salad - the taco shell flavor wasn't a good match, IMHO.

Jicama and guacamole taco - favorite dish for us both. Probably the best raw food "starter" dish for anyone. Familiar flavors, great mix of textures. Could use more spice.

The taco "shells" were excellent. I think he said it was ground corn and flax spread thin and dehydrated.

The drink with this course was a citrus-aloe margarita that was really good. I wish this hadn't followed the sweet and sour because the aftertaste really made it hard to enjoy anything else.

4. White chocolate Budino, grapefruit mimosa. Perfect little couple of bites of something sweet, paired with the strong grapefruit flavor in the drink - acted almost like a palate cleanser. 2nd favorite drink for me.

5. Chocolate martini and chocolate trio - gelato, truffle w/liquid center, "pudding" all excellent. As good a dessert as any I've had at any restaurant. Chocolate martini was also excellent. And I'm not a chocolate drink fan.

I think he said the menu was changing soon so none of this will be applicable but it was enough to intice this dedicated carnivore into trying more!

Phone pic of the chocolate trio and drink

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfangirl View Post
    Phone pic of the chocolate trio and drink

Boy, thats a big plate!

I went for the first time two weeks ago for lunch - I had the ravioli's and hemp seed tabouli. Though the flavors were not always intuitive, everything was beautifully presented and it is the closest thing I can imagine to having a dining experience inside architectural digest magazine. As the pictures from earlier comments suggest ... the food does insist upon itself. However, it's unlike anything we have in the OKC metro, and I'd definitely go back.

5. Default Re: 105 Degrees

I haven't tried this place yet but things don't look good. Every time I go to Republic for lunch I notice Republic has a 15-25 minute wait while 105 never has more than 2-5 tables occupied. Their overhead has to be pretty high and you can only make it so long not turning tables. I do know a few people that have been and they all said the same thing ~ will only appeal to a small niche and the prices were way to high for what you got.

I doubt I'm their target market anyway.

I love this place. I've eaten there many times and have taken several classes on Saturdays. It is expensive but they source everything fresh and organic. You won't eat food that has been left in the warmer too long (because there's not one!) and you won't have anything that was last night's special turned into today's soup-of-the-day.

Their pho is amazing! Not like real Vietnamese pho made with beef tendon but delicious and full of Asian flavors.

Every time I eat there I get ideas for producing similar dishes at home.

Although it's not cheap, when I left after my lunch I was probably too full. It's certainly no more expensive than eating at one of the nicer restaurants in town for lunch. It's not a pop in for a burger type place (obviously), but when you want a nicer lunch or meal, prices are comparable to our better restaurants. My meal was delicious and unique. I loved the kimchi wontons, and had a red pepper ravioli with walnut pesto that was divine. One of the people I was with had an almond chai smoothie that tasted like you were drinking rice pudding....yum. I'm not a vegetarian by any means, but really enjoyed my meal.

Default Is 105 degrees going out of business?

I've heard rumors lately and wondered if there was any truth to it. I know a lot of times I go by they aren't busy. It's definitely a hard niche for OKC to fill, especially in this economy. Honestly I think they opened a little ahead of their time. When Classen Curve gets a few more tenants this fall I think things will start taking off in the area. Hope the rumor isn't true, anyone know anything?

9. Default Re: Is 105 degrees going out of business?

Honestly, I think they've been going out of business since the week they opened. By that I mean I doubt they have made enough to cover their daily operating expenses, let alone repaying the initial investment and making a profit. Like many businesses, it will simply be a matter of pride as to when they give up and fold.

Default Re: Is 105 degrees going out of business?

I agree with Metro though. If they can hold on and let Classen Curve fill with tenants I believe they will be a success.

It would be a tragic loss to this shopping center. These type of destination shopping experiences take some critical mass to get going in earnest and it is often tough going for those who are the first in and have product and inventory that cater to a very narrow target market. There has to be enough draw to that target market to make them be willing to go there. It takes some doing and I have no doubt that CC will get there, but there may be some casualties along the way. Let's hope that our worries are unfounded and that the owners are able to hang on and make a go of it!

I know a lot of people are interested in 105 Degrees because the concept is so unique. Also, most people I know either want to try it at some point, or have tried it. And most people either really love the place, or hate it, and its not their thing. Unfortunately, the number of people who dislike it in Oklahoma City outweigh the number of people who I know who like the place, and patronize it regularly. I just do not thing vegan food culture can survive in Oklahoma City. If this was California, or Arizona, sure, but not here in OKC, sorry.

I never see them doing much business either. Wouldnt be shocked if Aubrey has given some rent concessions.

I'm vegan and have never been there. Would love to try it, but I can't afford their prices. It would be at best a once-a-year thing for me. The farmer's market also sells raw vegan food and at much better prices.

Vegetarians are only something like 3% of the US population. I would have to think that with OKC's smallish population it'd have to be hard to keep a business like that going.

Maybe they might do a little better if they did like mainstream restaurants do and offer a few lean meat dishes.

Its sad to see anyplace go and people lose jobs. This shows me that it doesn't matter if your in the hottest area or the worst part of town, it mostly comes down to the basic business principles.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Vegetarians are only something like 3% of the US population. I would have to think that with OKC's smallish population it'd have to be hard to keep a business like that going.
    Please do not confuse a vegetarian with a vegan...

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerus View Post
    Please do not confuse a vegetarian with a vegan...
    I thought a vegan was a very strict vegetarian. Is that not true?

vegan -- someone who avoids ALL animal products including eggs, dairy, honey, leather, wool, silk, shells, feathers, and TRIES to avoid trace amounts of animal products in food, clothing, medication, cleaning products, etc. as well. Of course it is impossible to avoid ALL animal products because various parts of animals are harvested for use in what sometimes seems like everything, but a vegan will avoid as much as possible, which can depend on the vegan's location and level of independence (vegan children and teens are sometimes purposely thwarted by parents and/or schools).

strict vegetarian: avoids eating animals and animal products including eggs and dairy; some will also avoid honey

ovo-vegetarain: avoids eating animals but will eat eggs

lacto-vegetarian: avoids eating animals but will eat dairy

ovo-lacto-vegetarian: avoids eating animals but will eat eggs and dairy

pesticarian: a: eats fish and other sea creatures and may or may not eat eggs and dairy
    b: thinks fish and other sea creatures are vegetables and eats them while claiming to be a vegetarian; this kind of person may also "occasionally eat chicken" while still calling himself/herself a vegetarian. These people would be more accurate if they simply stated that they sometimes enjoyed vegetarian food.

omnivore: will eat pretty much anything; may (but doesn't necessarily) include dogs, cats, guinea pigs, insects, and snakes as well as the more mainstream cow, pig, chicken, etc AS WELL AS fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, etc. Omnivores draw their line in the sand in various places, usually due to the culture in which they grew up.

carnivore: not a human, but this term is sometimes used by people who relish eating animals and claim to do so to the exclusion of any other type of food and sometimes used in a derogatory manner by vegans to describe someone who is a blustering loudmouth about trying to force a vegan to eat animals

I prefer a simpler table with two main categories:

(A) Meat & Taters folk
    (B) Taters folk

Offered for your consideration by one of the A team

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    pesticarian: a: eats fish and other sea creatures and may or may not eat eggs and dairy
    b: thinks fish and other sea creatures are vegetables and eats them while claiming to be a vegetarian; this kind of person may also "occasionally eat chicken" while still calling himself/herself a vegetarian. These people would be more accurate if they simply stated that they sometimes enjoyed vegetarian food.
    It's actually pesc[ae]tarian. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    Maybe they might do a little better if they did like mainstream restaurants do and offer a few lean meat dishes.
    A burger or chicken that has not been heated above 105?? You go first.

24. Default Re: Is 105 degrees going out of business?

I've done raw ground beef before. But it was from a single source butcher.

hahahahahaha....An omnivore friend and I used to spell it starting with "pest" because of an acquaintance of ours. Apparently it's now been implanted into the spelling part of my brain.

Thread Information