Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hideaway Pizza

1. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

That space is HUGE compared to Iguana. But good for them for having the vision to put it somewhere other than Bricktown. Bricktown doesn't need Hideaway and Hideaway doesn't need Bricktown.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

Is there still a Hideaway at the ballpark?

The Western Ave. Hideaway caters to OUHSC and Devon nearly every weekday, and because of that, I'm sure this thing is gonna go through. You can bet on it.

4. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

bluedog, the ballpark hideaway is only open during games... and Spartain, as for the Iguana, note that Steve Mason originally intended it to go into what is now the home of Rawhide. That building is comparable to the CD Warehouse space. Mason decided against it because he said it was too large for a restaurant - and that is how NW 9 was reborn... You have inadvertantly successfully argued for why it would be good for Hideaway would be the best candidate for the CD Warehouse space. You have been a worthy adversary in this debate. I call checkmate.

5. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

Wait, the Rawhide space is about 5,000 sf, right? To me The Iguana feels similar to that. If Steve Mason said it though, it must be true..so that's really interesting. The CD Warehouse bldg is 16,000 sf, so that's totally different. 16,000 is big enough that you could put a major retailer there, and if it's going to be too big for a startup concept, it's going to be too big for Hideaway, as well.

From the info I heard, this location is gonna be a little more of a "showpiece" for Hideaway.

I'm sure weekday lunches will be busy, and weekend nights...That will not be big enough, if you ask me.

7. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

Quote Originally Posted by jstanthrnme View Post
    From the info I heard, this location is gonna be a little more of a "showpiece" for Hideaway.
    Ah, that could change things.

8. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

The Rawhide building is actually 6,450 - there is some space in the rear of the building not being leased by Rawhide that Mason is looking to lease out as either an office or residence. You're correct on the size of the CD Warehouse building. The home of the Iguana Grill is 3,257 square feet.
    Hideaway's Western site is about 5,000 square feet, and its NW Exp site is 6,400 square feet.
    So yes, you would need a major successful restaurant there or another anchor (which I can't imagine) to help a secondary tenant move in and be successful as well (all without surface parking).
    At this point I'm calling the game done. The more I delve into this, it's difficult to imagine an empty Broadway site more in need of a retail tenant that has a built-in customer base and high odds at success. (There are different scenarios in play for the 1100 and 1101 N Broadway buildings and the Bentley Building is awaiting the right interest to win over Rand Elliott). Finally, consider this: what Automobile Alley is lacking is what the other districts got first - a really big, popular restaurant (Iguana is technically off Auto Alley, not on it)

9. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

I didn't know Iguana was so small, so that (and its extreme popularity) could explain why it takes an hour to get a table there. Since you're telling us exact square footage numbers of Hideaways stores, that alone tells me that there isn't any thing I could question that you haven't already looked at. So what I'm getting, and what's relevant to this topic, is that if Hideaway were to happen here as a signature location of sorts, there is still no way that Hideaway will take up ALL of this bldg--half sounds about right. That would leave 8,000 sf, which happens to be the average size of a GAP.

But then again, I've been fantasizing for a long time about a GAP downtown.. (I know it will probably never happen, but I view downtown's retail woes as a micro issue, not a macro issue)

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Would love to see a Hideaway in the downtown area.
    there is one currently in Bricktown, has been for years.

11. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    there is one currently in Bricktown, has been for years.
    It's open funny hours and not at all when it's not baseball season, right?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    "Open during home games and special events"

So yeah, they're open for at least 72 days between April and September, every year--or is that not good enough for you people?

13. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

Metro, nail down a day when we can enjoy a couple of slices of Hideaway Pizza at a table in air conditioned bliss ...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Metro, nail down a day when we can enjoy a couple of slices of Hideaway Pizza at a table in air conditioned bliss ...
    They may not have tables, but you can order it weekdays. I've ordered it many times from the DT office and picked it up. No it's not a traditional Hideaway where you can sit down in air conditioned bliss, but you can order outside of "baseball hours" and that is my point.

15. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

Come on, it's not a restaurant friend!

16. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

They may not have tables, but you can order it weekdays. I've ordered it many times from the DT office and picked it up. No it's not a traditional Hideaway where you can sit down in air conditioned bliss, but you can order outside of "baseball hours" and that is my point.
    Oh please. We have to pass the downtown location to get to a real Hideaway and not once have we ever considered stopping at the one in Bricktown.

The Ballpark location is only open as a vendor at the games. Their hours are only on gamedays and events from the time the gates open until the 7th inning. Not to mention, the menu is limited to cheese, pepperoni, supreme, and meat pizzas. AND they charge $20 for a cheese pizza, whereas the other locations sell them for like $13.

No, it's not just open for baseball games, as I've stated before, when working DT we've ordered it numerous times for lunch at the Bricktown Ballpark location, even in the winter! They just don't have dine-in seating.

19. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

Metro, that's cool - I'm not arguing this with you. But surely you can agree it would be great to have a full-fledged restaurant than just the walk-up stand.

20. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

That's like saying "They have a Krispy Kreme in that gas station, because you can get them out of that nasty plexi-glass container, and it says Krispy Kreme right on the box. Its just like being at a real Krpispy Kreme!" (not)

21. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

I didn't think they were open at all in the winter. You can't just call on a Tuesday in late November and get a pie, can you?

We have before at my office. Brian, that's a stretch relating it to Krispy Kreme's at a gas station, it's still the real deal and made the same way, you just can't dine in. I'm not arguing it wouldn't be nice to have a full fledged Hideaway downtown, especially in AutoAlley, heck I live within walking distance just blocks away.

23. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

Here's how we could have trimmed this down to two posts:
    Metro: "I know it's not the same thing as a full fledged restaurant, but a lot of people don't realize they can order pizza throughout the year from the stand at the Bricktown Ballpark. I do so often with orders for my office and the pizzas are just as good as what you would get on Western Avenue. I am also very excited about the possibility of getting a full time restaurant downtown."
    Everybody else: "That's cool Metro. That's good information to know and some of us will probably be checking that out."
    But ah yes, it's OKC Talk.... and I really missed this place when it was down

24. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Here's how we could have trimmed this down to two posts:
    Metro: "I know it's not the same thing as a full fledged restaurant, but a lot of people don't realize they can order pizza throughout the year from the stand at the Bricktown Ballpark. I do so often with orders for my office and the pizzas are just as good as what you would get on Western Avenue. I am also very excited about the possibility of getting a full time restaurant downtown. BTW, I'm a mover and shaker on the urban scene and live and work downtown"
    Everybody else: "That's cool Metro. That's good information to know and some of us will probably be checking that out."
    But ah yes, it's OKC Talk.... and I really missed this place when it was down
    Fix'd

25. Default Re: Hideaway in Auto Alley?

as I've stated before, when working DT we've ordered it numerous times for lunch at the Bricktown Ballpark location, even in the winter!
    How long ago? I just can't fathom that they'd have enough business to justify having workers there in the winter just waiting around for the one person downtown (you) that knows they're open to call and place an order...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I didn't know Iguana was so small,
    Have you ever been inside?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Thread Information