Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Shack (formerly Drum Room)

Default Re: Drum Room

Disagree completely with the comments saying Eischen's is mediocre, but that's ok everyone has their opinions. I think Eischen's chicken alone is truly amazing, plus the ambiance and road trip aspects make it even better. Although Drum Room in my opinion is no where near as good as Eischen's, it's still pretty good fried chicken and is obviously far more convenient for people in the city than Eishcen's.

Default Re: the drum room

Pete's back in the day (70's), before it became the expanded and too hyped PETE'S, was a much better experience. And yes, there is better food in Krebs.

Rosanna's is my personal fav down that way. Baby brother prefers Isle of Capri to the others. Neither of us hate Pete's, but it is not top of the list for us.

Been meaning to get up to the Drum Room. Maybe Fri eve after I drop off my lovely at the airport for her g-babies weekend

There also used to be a Pete's Place in Fort Smith, Arkansas. Not sure if it was under the same ownership. I ate there once but don't remember anything particularly exciting about it.

So . . . Kevin . . . Ya recon if'n The Drum Room decided t' "drum up" more business by doing "broasted" rather than "fried" it could make a difference? =) (to the "health aware/unaware)? btw: Krebs is OK for "Italian" food. It is definitely possible to do better at home. Or over in Poteau. =)

btw/edited to add: Anyone who says Eischen's (in Okarche) is mediocre is a moron. And here's why: If one made that drive, and waited in line, and waited for the crispy chicken and okra (WHAT? no Fries???) and did it, like, three times then it has to be good chicken. otherwise the complainer is . . . for lack of a better word . . . a moron. Oh. Wait . . . idiot? cretin? =)

Sorry . . . Drifted off Topic.
    After The Wedge and that Musashi's place . . . I would pick The Drum Room. For Fine Dining in regard to Fried Chicken.
    Even if none of the spots mentioned are in The Urban Core of The OKC =)

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Don't sweat not having been to Eischen's. All you've missed is small town ambiance and a road trip with friends. You can get better chicken from a grocery store deli case. There are three reasons Eischen's is popular:

1. Before the fire, the "oldest bar in Oklahoma" was really neat, and it continues to make for a good story
    2. Everybody loves a road trip
    3. Peer pressure. Nobody wants to admit that they drove an hour to eat mediocre chicken, and nobody wants to admit that they don't "get" something that everyone else claims to love
    I love Eischen's.

6. Default Re: Drum Room

That's because you can haul ass up a nice empty highway to get there! Euphoria makes the chicken taste better.

That's because you can haul ass up a nice empty highway to get there! Euphoria makes the chicken taste better.
    What highway? I use Waterloo. Granted I do haul ass usually. I hope you're not considering SH81 an actual highway, because I don't consider roads like that, that have intersection to be highways. If they turned that road into a limited access tollway, I would love that.

winner winner chicken dinner

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    winner winner chicken dinner
    Did you read my response? I don't use that road that is being referred to as a highway. I take Waterloo. So that comment is not a winner because is not accurate.

Now, I'm not going to say I wouldn't like a nice highway there. Like I said, I'd love it if they turned Waterloo into a tollway that wraps around NW OKC.

10. Default Re: Drum Room

It was a joke, PluPan. And I was talking about the way most people get there from OKC...SH3 (NW Expressway). I know, I know, not enough lanes....

It was a joke, PluPan. And I was talking about the way most people get there from OKC...SH3 (NW Expressway). I know, I know, not enough lanes....
    Oh. I have never taken NW Expressway to get there. My bad.

Eichen's isn't terrible, but not amazing. Same with Drum Room. For me, Bobo's is definitely the best fried chicken in OKC. If it's your first time, get it without the honey so you can compare apples to apples. Not the easiest food truck to track down, but once you do, totally worth it.

Don't sweat not having been to Eischen's. All you've missed is small town ambiance and a road trip with friends. You can get better chicken from a grocery store deli case. There are three reasons Eischen's is popular:

1. Before the fire, the "oldest bar in Oklahoma" was really neat, and it continues to make for a good story
    2. Everybody loves a road trip
    3. Peer pressure. Nobody wants to admit that they drove an hour to eat mediocre chicken, and nobody wants to admit that they don't "get" something that everyone else claims to love
    I just went to Eischen's last week and they do something that I'm not sure you can get anywhere else. First off, we're not big drinkers, but on occasion we go for chicken and beer.
    My wife and I can't drink a full picher, so we order half a picher, which cost half as much. $5.00. The oddity is every time we do this they practically fill it up, it may be an inch at the most lower than the full picher.
    We drank all but the last 2 inches and we gave it to a group at the next table. The guy I handed it to lifted it up and chugged it. I know, kind of boring for a bar story, sorry.

I've always been a big fan of Eichen's and prefer their chicken over anything I've eaten in OKC area

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    I've always been a big fan of Eichen's and prefer their chicken over anything I've eaten in OKC area
    Yep. It's good chicken and my friends and I all prefer it to anything in OKC.

I never thought Eichen's was worth the drive myself but clearly lots of people like it.. or at least like the idea of it. whichever.
    but good for them for keeping a steady stream of customers!

I like Drum Room but I forget about it honestly. the warm Brussel sprouts salad is pretty dang yummy!

I will have to try drum room again as the couple times I had it was take out and maybe it doesn't travel well. I like Eischens but not enough to make a trip especially there for it unless I have friends in from either coast. To be honest...half time grill in Wheatland serves there chicken the same way with bread onions and pickles and it is just as good, cheaper, and is only 4 miles from house. I told a friend about it last week that was commenting on Eischens. He tried it that night and agreed.

18. Default Re: Drum Room

For that matter fried chicken from Boulevard Cafeteria is better.

Mmmmm, their fried chicken is good.
    Good enough you can chow down as you laugh about being in your 50's and still qualify as being the ones at the kiddie table.

20. Default Re: Drum Room

It's funny you say that. I took my dad there last week for his 75th birthday and we were joking that HE was a kid there. I actually had some thoughts on that place, but would probably need to move that discussion to the Boulevard Cafeteria thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    I was starting to feel alone in my positive opinion of this place. I've been there a number of times and I love the chicken. Obviously, I'm partial to the decor as well. For those who don't think their chicken is good, where do you go for fried chicken?
    Pub W has fried chicken on Sundays, and my crowd loves it. I'm one that thinks there is good fried chicken and really good fried chicken, but not sure "great" fried chicken is a thing. I would say Pub W's is really good. (Deep fried, so if you are a pan-fry fan it may not be for you).

It's amazing how some places have a great item mixed in with a bunch of average. We had a Bill Miller BBQ by our house in Austin, it was bad BBQ but my wife thought they had great fried chicken.

I really like the Drum Room. Not as much as Eischen's, but it's a heck of a lot closer and you get a waffle.

We really like Eischen's. But like most people have said on here, it's a heckuva drive just for chicken.
    We really like The Drum Room. For a sit down place, it's the best I've gotten in OKC
    My friend, Gale, swears by the fried chicken at Red Prime. I've never had it, so I can't comment.
    My FAVORITE fried chicken? AQ Chicken house in Little Rock, AR. HOLY CRAP it's good! Especially the Over The Coals, where they fry the chicken, and then put it on a grill for a while.

Red Prime fried chicken is good. Kyle's was excellent also and their chicken livers are second to none. I'll be sorry to see them go.

Thread Information