Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where did you live?

Default Re: Where did you live?

SoonerSoftail, I grew up in a house East and South of NW 36th and May. Went to Sequoyah (mostly walked there and back everyday), Taft and graduated from NW Classen about ten years before you. All of the neighborhoods around those schools have changed over the years. Kind of sad to see, but given enough time.....all things change!

Quote Originally Posted by Wambo36 View Post
    I grew up 1/2 mile south of here. I do remember Greenhaws. Do you remember Pletts IGA on the south side of 10th at this intersection? dmoor82 is right about the neighborhood not being what it was, but it's actually getting better than it was in the mid to late 90's. Dad lived there until he passed away a couple of years ago.
    If "Plett's IGA" was that relatively small, blue and white(?) place (with lots of windows?)--on the southeast corner of 10th and Post--then, yes, I remember Plett's (although I was probably only in there a time or two). All of our--that is my mom's and grandparents'--grocery shopping, back then, was done at that place in the Westminster/Nicoma Park "Shopping Center" or at Greenhaws. Oh: Or at the Humpty Dumpty over toward the Capitol Building, like, around Eastern.

Speaking of old grocery stores (out in that part of town--where I spent part of my summer living/growing up time) . . .

Do you remember Carr's Grocery: a combination grocery/butcher shop/feed store, on the south side of NE 23rd, on a slight rise between Post and Douglas (and sort of across from an ancient trailer park on the north side)? My uncle's family owned and operated it for as far back in the 50's as I can remember, until at some point--maybe in the 70's?--they sold it. I remember that they had one of those old Coke/OtherSoftDrink coolers in which the bottles stood, vertically, in what seemed to be an ice water bath and (after depositing your dime or quarter) worked them thorough a little maze then pulled them up and out. I'll bet that Plett's and Carr's had that same, distinctive, old time grocery store smell . . .

And how about Dean's Drive-In? (Home of 25-Cent or 5 for $1 burgers that were actually good hamburgers and some of the best Frito Pies and Chili Dogs you ever ate. I think they also sold actual pit barbeque . . .) Trivia: Everyone who didn't actually know "Dean" assumed he was a guy, but actually she was a woman.

think the thread title got changed...wasn't it something along the lines of "are you a native of OK/OKC"?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    think the thread title got changed...wasn't it something along the lines of "are you a native of OK/OKC"?
    Nope: Same thread title (as it ever was) . . .

I'm sorry, Larry . . . Honest. I'm not particulary fond of change for its own sake either. =)
    I thought the title of THIS thread was "Where did you live?" and I haven't changed my mind.
    (Although, of course, change is definitely one of the indicators of life . . . Meh . . ?)

Yet, in response to your query . . .
    Since there was a whole 'nother thread on: "Are you a native oklahoman" (or something like that) and since this thread was being spun--in a very interesting manner, by the way, in my opinion--by mostly native OKCititans who have never really left The Old Home Turf (and since the thread title wasn't geographic specific, plus in the past tense) . . . The only data/memories I felt that I could contribute to the "conversation" (previously) were after I moved down here, full-time, at the age of 21 (or maybe 22?)

Then, the old right-brain took over and I started remembering living here--in the Metro Area--as a child. Living out on The FAR East Side. For a few weeks every summer. And loving it. For the most part. =) Which is probably why I never left once I moved here. And why they probably never should have removed "Oklahoma is OK" from the license plates. And why I still get a kick out of the "changes" even in terms of having a "Newbie" wonder about the difference between Pita and Peter bread. =)

5. Default Re: Where did you live?

I thought it was "do" then realize its "did".. lol

I've lived in Choctaw as a baby/kid for about 5 years since birth, Cherry Hill apt in South OKC for a few years, a rental house in DC for several year before the purchase of a house exactly across the street. Then in Checotah for a short time and Okmulgee for about two years. Back to DC for a couple of years, then South OKC near Brian Bates for about two years. Last known resident in DC since last year Spring. Next to come to be determined.

radical: looks like you are correct, it must have been another thread I was thinking of (where I posted my rambling info), suffice it to say I was born here and live across the street from the hospital where I was born but have lived in many States from here to Iowa and way off in Florida. Traveled some in Canada and all of the lower 48 except for WA & OR.

7. Default Re: Where did you live?

I grew up in the 90's in the NW 16th and Virginia area. Attended Hawthorne for Kindergarten. Eventually moved to SW 33rd and Western and went to Lafayette Elementary 1st - 5th grade; I was there its last year as an elementary. Moved to SW 46th and Walker when my grandfather, Everett Blanchard, bought our current house as a present to my mom. From there I went to Webster Middle and Southeast High. Graduated last year.

My mother, aunts, and uncles ALL attended Lafayette, Webster, and Southeast High Schools in the '60s and '70s. Maiden names were Blanchard. Louise, Mary, Ann, Jim, Bob, and Dan Blanchard.

8. Default Re: Where did you live?

Quote Originally Posted by okcisok View Post
    SoonerSoftail, I grew up in a house East and South of NW 36th and May. Went to Sequoyah (mostly walked there and back everyday), Taft and graduated from NW Classen about ten years before you. All of the neighborhoods around those schools have changed over the years. Kind of sad to see, but given enough time.....all things change!
    It is sad. Parent's still live there so I've got to see the area deteriorate over the years. There were some really nice houses 30 to 40 years ago that are trashed out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambo36 View Post
    I grew up 1/2 mile south of here. I do remember Greenhaws. Do you remember Pletts IGA on the south side of 10th at this intersection? dmoor82 is right about the neighborhood not being what it was, but it's actually getting better than it was in the mid to late 90's. Dad lived there until he passed away a couple of years ago.
    I remember all those places. Pletts later became Beachlers. Greenhaws, Tru Value on 23rd and Douglas. There was Fishers IGA on 36th and Spencer Rd. I grew up going to Dickson Baptist at 2000 N Spencer Rd.

1128 S. W. 37th. Born in Saint Anthony's and was a South towner for a lot of years. I got tired of the driving distance to work so moved North in 1975.
    C. T.

I lived at Soutwest 60th and May Avenue from 3rd grade till I graduated.

Hi there, I'm new here. I've been looking for sth. like this for years. I lived at 2417 N. Lee OKC. next to a fried chiken restaurant. That was from 1981-1982. Now I'm living in my country Saudi Arabia. I went to Edgemere Elementary School where I studied 3rd. & 4th. grades. Our 3rd. grade teacher was Ms Vane. I hope that she's still alive. I also wish to meet her after all these years. I had many friends back then. Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of any of them except ONE! He was my best friend. He was like a brother 2 me. He was a Vietnamese American. We were in the same class. I don't know how to spell his name, but it sounds like the word "way"!!

If anybody knows him or remembers ME or can help in any kind, please let me know. You might not believe me if I say that I've been trying to contact some of my old friends for over 15 years. Only luck brought you guys in my path.

P.S. I am willing to come to the US sometime next year if there's a chance of reuniting with any of my classmates. Because I'm so attached to The United States, I became an English language teacher. Every year I encourage a number of my high school sts. to study college in America. Now there are about 20 of them all around the US.

I think this is enough for now.
    B.T.W. my name is "Muhammad Al Yousif"

On Northwest 35th Street between Classen Boulevard and North Pennsylvania Avenue. Putnam Heights Elementary, Harding Junior High, Central High, graduated in 1963. Entered U.S. Army in 1966, discharged and moved to Dallas, Texas in 1968, still there.

I lived in Oklahoma City the first 10 years of my life, always in the capital hill area, but at four different addresses. My grandmothers had lived there since the 1920's and 1930's, always in capital hill. We continued to visit OKC monthly after moving to Sulphur, OK.

Dear mohdy,
    I am not one of your classmates and am 30 years older than you, but I am touched that you have such warm feelings toward Oklahoma City. My uncle, aunt, cousin, brother-in-law and sister-in-law have all lived in Saudi Arabia, and it is a fascinating place to me.
    I hope you can find your vietnamese friend. The only thing I can suggest for that is to find out what common Vietnamese name sounds like Way. Maybe "Wei"? Maybe you could google that or else check on facebook.
    I had Arab friends when I was a student at University and would be glad to be your Friend on this site if you want, and we can correspond.
    I don't live in Oklahoma City anymore. My husband and I live in the Southern U.S. But my mother still lives in Oklahoma City and I go there to visit.

I lived on NW 58th Street, Warr Acres, from the time I was 2 to 14. Lived at 2100 N. College in Bethany until I was 20. Know Warr Acres and Bethany very well. Went all 12 years to Putnam City.
    Janey Reynolds Ring

Love the house, Doug.
    Janey Reynolds Ring

Hello Everyone,

I am Diane Reilly, from Alaska !!
    Newbie here.

Prunepicker Guest

Hi Diane.

Pueblo Colorado first 5 years. Elk City Oklahoma, left as soon as I graduated. Victoria Texas for the next 15 years. Now in Norman, never moving again.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YO MUDA View Post
    Now in Norman, never moving again.
    I said the same thing until the land lord wanted the rent money.

Shoulda given it to him and stayed Prunepicker. It's a right nice lil' town, at least the little sliver I live in is. I hear the rest of it is as well.

We actually ventured outside our own lil' corner of the prairie this eve to visit a Chinese place. Been a while since we had done so. The onion shrimp was excellent, fortunately, as the boiled was not nearly as nice as I recall from prior days.

Lovely and I came to realize the couple at the next table were folks we used to see often through scouting when the children were still young. Had a nice conversation while we all caught up on where our now grown children were living and things they were doing. It got me to thinking ... maybe I ought to venture outside my lil' slice of heaven into other parts of town more often.

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    I remember all those places. Pletts later became Beachlers. Greenhaws, Tru Value on 23rd and Douglas. There was Fishers IGA on 36th and Spencer Rd. I grew up going to Dickson Baptist at 2000 N Spencer Rd.
    Sorry for the late (a year?) reply. Hadn't noticed your post. My family went to Dickson, also, beginning in 1971. Both of my brothers married girls from there. If you're who I think you are (I'm sure you are), I see some of your Facebook stuff when you post on the wall of our mutual friend who teaches in the Dallas area. He put up some pictures from Falls Creek, that we were all in, that brought back a lot of good memories.

Very close to Northwest Tenth and MacArthur; both were two-lane blacktops. Donut shop on the northwest corner, Vern's Tavern on the southwest. Barber shop and substation as you went down the hill. There was a furniture stripping place there, too. A different kind of stripping now, but still down hill.

Prunepicker Guest

I was a south sider. SW 59th and May area in 1959.

Thread Information