Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Innovation District

Default Re: Innovation District

Yea, I don't l know why the press is making out like they are building a new building. Building is just being renamed, and housing a new energy program.

However, the GE was built in mind for expansion. So maybe they will expand, however, I don't know if that is possible now with Convergence taking up most of the area.

^

Baker Hughes sold the undeveloped land next to this facility to the Convergence development.

Phase 2 of Convergence calls for another office building. So maybe this will help spur that development.

4. Default Re: Innovation District

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^ yes I believe so. I’m not a huge fan of college buildings spread across a city though. I kinda of wish they would add on to the OKC-OSU campus instead.
    there already is an OSU-OKC campus on Portland Ave.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    there already is an OSU-OKC campus on Portland Ave.
    I know I’m saying I would rather them add to it then spread college buildings out around the city.

I know I’m saying I would rather them add to it then spread college buildings out around the city.
    Well when a company (GE/baker Hughes) says here’s a free building that basically brand new…..you take it regardless of the location of you think you have a use for it.

And this will be more of a research type education center and the location seems fitting for such

^^^ good points

part of me thinks hamm bought the naming rights because $NEE or a renewable energy trade group was taking a hard look at owning the rights.

Blog Entries

Northeast OKC Re: Innovation District

INNOVATION DISTRICT

Developers of Convergence, a $178 million mixed-use anchor for the Innovation District, are set to move forward with $13.75 million in tax increment financing and are hoping to win a $10 million MAPS 4 matching grant for construction of a community innovation hall.--Lackmeyer, 12-20-2021. To read the full story, pick up a copy of the Oklahoman.

MAPS 4 - INNOVATION DISTRICT $71 million
    For the purpose of transforming our entrepreneurial ecosystem to create jobs and foster a more diverse economy, it is the intent of the Council to pursue several projects at the Innovation District in near northeast Oklahoma City.

According to Cathy O'Conner “It is a large commercial investment ... the largest we’ve had to date in the Innovation District. It will help jump-start the whole research development ecosystem in Oklahoma City.” O'Conner also stated that the trust has money to provide the $13.75 million up front to ensure Beffort and Tanenbaum’s BT Development qualifies for $33 million in new markets tax credits.

Blog Entries

The city has sent out emails and posted social media about an innovation district connectivity study:

From the Tweet (https://twitter.com/maps4okc/status/1552344271335948289):
    We want to hear from you! MAPS 4 includes connectivity improvements surrounding the Innovation District—enhancing landscapes, bike, and pedestrian access. Please provide input by taking a few minutes to fill out this survey:
    (ironically not part of the MAPS4 connectivity subcommittee, so far as I'm aware thus far, as a committee member... I know there is an innovation district subcommittee, but if there are bike lanes, sidewalks, and transit being discussed, IMO the connectivity subcommittee should be involved)

From the email:
    The City of Oklahoma City hired Kimley-Horn to improve connectivity and linkages surrounding the Innovation District. The project will not only change the district’s physical landscape but will also improve bike and pedestrian access to surrounding areas.

To provide feedback, please take a few minutes to fill out the written or map survey below. The form should take no longer than 6 minutes to complete.

Specific corridors to be addressed in this survey include North Lincoln Boulevard, NE 4th Street, NE 8th Street, and NE 10th Street bridge at 1-235.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	17585

Written Survey: https://engagekh.com/m4ddc10/writtensurvey

"Map" Survey: https://engagekh.com/m4ddc10/map#/si...how_to_comment

11. Default Re: Innovation District

i love they they aren't overtly trying to claim AAlley but instead are using the real lands for a master plan. However, I think it is far too big, it really should focus on the tie between the OHC and Bricktown and not claim the entire Capital and OHC district. I think this is where OKC gets lost in development, we take on too much and under-deliver rather than focus tremendous effort on a quality, smaller area.

Even Bricktown is an example of this - instead of focusing on the 'upper' Bricktown first THEN moving south, we started with the upper and once what we already had got busy the focus went to Lower Bricktown trying to fill that up. IMO, if we built up upper Bricktown first then it would have forced quality development in Lower Bricktown.

It can work with larger districts but you have to have a master plan and developers committed to quality connectivity and design throughout which is harder to do once the area gets too big its so much easier to lose focus and develop on the cheap.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is from a presentation on the Innovation Distirct as part of MAPS4.

You can see the once grandiose plan for 10th Street (which was only conceptual and never funded) has been scaled way back. You can see that original concept here: https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...118#post965118

Pete, are you able to post the original concept of the park cap over I-235 that was basically reduced in scope to widened bridge? The reason being I can’t find it here and I think it would provide good contrast as to what was proposed versus what is now being proposed which is a huge downgrade.

They just announced another 3 billion(!!!!!) to reconnect communities separated by freeway construction and that’s on top of billions allocated for that in the last build back better bill. OKC needs to seize this opportunity to build a full park cap over the highway and do it right. While they’re at it remove some of the loop ramps near this area taking up so much space.

https://www.route-fifty.com/infrastr...emoval/375468/

The new money could be used for a variety of purposes, including covering a highway, turning a highway into a boulevard, adding trails and bike lanes, installing sound barriers, providing better connections to transit, using “green infrastructure” to handle storm runoff, reducing urban heat island hot spots, building safety features and curbing air pollution.

Here is the original conceptual plan:

Innovation Link

^^^ thank you!

What was the final estimated cost difference in a full cap vs. what is being done now in the "expansion?"

A full cap is something I think would be proper and pay dividends. I'm assuming they are past that stage though and won't reconsider the current plan?

The Innovation Link was nothing but a conceptual plan.

There was never a dollar amount attached or any identified funding source.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    What was the final estimated cost difference in a full cap vs. what is being done now in the "expansion?"

A full cap is something I think would be proper and pay dividends. I'm assuming they are past that stage though and won't reconsider the current plan?
    billion vs a few million

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    billion vs a few million
    Where did you come up with that number?

Where did you come up with that number?
    it was a joke ... but likely not far off ... what is being build has a budget of less then 25 mil ... and is not close to a full cap ....

OKC won a big federal grant that was announced today.

President Biden to Announce 21 Winners of $1 Billion American Rescue Plan Regional Challenge

Oklahoma City Economic Development Foundation (Oklahoma)
    $35 million for the Oklahoma Biotech Innovation Cluster Initiative
    Details on the grant: Oklahoma Biotech Innovation Cluster Initiative

From Mayor Holt's twitter thread:

Not bad. Anything to further educate the populace and diversify the economy that much more.

This seems like a pretty BFD (to quote Dark Brandon himself)

HangryHippo Guest

This is a big, big win for OKC.

State wise, it looks like Oklahoma received the most monetary allocation.

Thread Information