Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Science Museum Oklahoma

Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    I'm assuming they have completely abandoned use of the Omnidome at the Science Museum? We've been a couple times in the last year or two and the area is always blocked off and now I can't even find a mention of the movies on the website. What a shame as it was a nice true IMAX like experience even if it only showed science documentaries.
    The Omnidome closed about a year or so ago. Not enough people would go there to watch science documentaries for it to be profitable. It's unfortunate that its closed but I guess that's a sign of the times. Today, if people want to see something on IMAX they can go to the Warren and see a first-run film or if they want to see a science documentary, they have hundreds to choose from on Netflix. That didn't exist when the theater opened in 2000.

They still have a 70mm true IMAX projector wasting away. I think if they wanted to, they could show first-run films and it would be a major success. Cinema nerds will travel hundreds of miles to see movies on a true 70mm IMAX.

Blog Entries

Couldn't they contract out the operation of it? IMO it seems like it would benefit them to partner with their adventure district neighbors to have Tinseltown operate it as "Cinemark Tinseltown at SMO" or something.... that vendor could then show other films that aren't just science, with some proceeds going to science programs.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Couldn't they contract out the operation of it? IMO it seems like it would benefit them to partner with their adventure district neighbors to have Tinseltown operate it as "Cinemark Tinseltown at SMO" or something.... that vendor could then show other films that aren't just science, with some proceeds going to science programs.
    This is a great idea.

Even though the 70 mm IMAX projector was unique and cool, it was too costly to maintain. They could get some use out of the dome if they converted it to digital. It seems like a waste for a dome structure to just sit there though.

I kind of wonder if the long term plans is to turn it into a new planetarium.

I would think they could at least sell the 70mm IMAX projector. It'd be nice if a local cinema had a true 70mm film IMAX. I think all the ones around here are digital. People will drive to Dallas just to see a film in true 70mm film IMAX.

Went to the SMO today with my daughter and noticed the restaurant (Pavlov's Grill) had a new menu. I asked what changed and apparently the company that runs the dining changed. So, instead of just hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs and chicken fingers, they now have a much wider selection that includes flatbread pizzas. I got the bruschetta pizza and it was really good. Much better than anything I have eaten there in the past. We used to always bring food for the family while we were there, but now, it makes more sense to eat at Pavlov's Grill.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Went to the SMO today with my daughter and noticed the restaurant (Pavlov's Grill) had a new menu. I asked what changed and apparently the company that runs the dining changed. So, instead of just hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs and chicken fingers, they now have a much wider selection that includes flatbread pizzas. I got the bruschetta pizza and it was really good. Much better than anything I have eaten there in the past. We used to always bring food for the family while we were there, but now, it makes more sense to eat at Pavlov's Grill.
    Would you say Pavlov's Grill is mouth watering?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Would you say Pavlov's Grill is mouth watering?
    never been but the name rings a bell...

Augmented reality app gets a test at Science Museum Oklahoma

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record January 22, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – Science Museum Oklahoma patrons got to try new technology thanks to a pop-up exhibit.

ReLiveIt’s augmented reality application lets people see animations around an object, such as the full body of a rabbit around a rabbit’s skull.

ReLiveIt was one of four businesses to come out of summer 2017’s Sooner Launch Pad program. In the last several months, the company has been able to raise an additional $13,000. CEO Ben Campbell said he and Chief Operating Officer Michael Thomas used that money to buy artifacts and then build out the pop-up exhibit at the science museum.

With the app, every artifact the company owns has content that goes with it, such as a launching rocket, or a flying plane next to an aviation suit. They set up their items in the science museum, and then people were given an iPad, which interacted with the icon next to the item. The interaction created an image on the screen, but it seemed like it was actually happening.

Campbell said about 2,000 people came through and used three iPads that were fitted with the app. Another nearly 700 people downloaded the program themselves.

People who used the app were given a survey afterward. The reviews were positive across the board and even better after the app was updated.

“What was most encouraging was having kids say this was the coolest thing they had ever seen,” said Campbell. “We had multiple people come back to try it, such as parents who wanted to use it without their kids, or grandparents who brought back a different set of grandchildren.”

Science Museum Oklahoma Communications Director Lindsay Thomas said ReLiveIt’s app served a dual purpose: It made the museum experience better and used science to do it.

“Coding is such a big deal for kids,” she said. “Being able to present a child with this kind of technology was a special opportunity for us. You never know what will get them started on their career path.”

On ReLiveIt’s survey, more than 60 percent of people said they have not used augmented reality technology previously.

ReLiveIt set up the pop-up museum from Dec. 18 to Jan. 15. During the winter people often visit the science museum because it’s too cold to go outside, Thomas said. But it isn’t cost-efficient for the museum to constantly update its exhibits. Thomas said the museum was in between renovations of two areas, with one being completed and another one in progress.

“Having this come in between those two updates was unique for our guests,” she said. “This is a different way to interact with an artifact or object that meets the needs of our guests.”

For ReLiveIt, the pop-up museum gave them their first data point for how interested people are in using the technology. On the survey, Michael Thomas said people were asked how much they would pay for the app, and the average price was $5.53.

Thomas said he and Campbell have heard from other entities interested in using the technology, including the Lobeck Taylor Family Foundation, which would like to use it along Route 66.

“We’re interested in staying in the museum industry, but we’re also looking at other avenues, such as sports tickets,” he said.

The Science Museum is trying to raise money to convert old omnidome into planetarium.

https://newsok.com/article/5629452/b...useum-oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The Science Museum is trying to raise money to convert old omnidome into planetarium.

https://newsok.com/article/5629452/b...useum-oklahoma
    While I'd much rather it be something than nothing, I wish they could reopen the IMAX. A new planetarium is probably the next best thing.

13. Default Re: Science Museum Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    While I'd much rather it be something than nothing, I wish they could reopen the IMAX. A new planetarium is probably the next best thing.
    Agreed. Although they did just spend a chunk of money redoing the existing planetarium, and they did a very good job. Although those of us with motion sickness didn't experience it in the old stuff and DEFINITELY experience it now. Whew!

My only issue is that they need a wider variety of shows. It seems like even when the schedule says its supposed to be one show, we still end up watching the same "journey through the solar system", which is just updated from the old planetarium. There's SOOOOO much more you could do with that room.

For the omnidome, i'd really like to see that convert to digital and re-open as the theater again. And if they want to keep it financially sustainable, the digital is going to help. Throw in a regular movie from time to time. They could do throwback movies like old SciFi (im sure the copyright could be worked out since its a non-profit). It's been such a shame having it vacant. And what a waste of money!

Weird question I don't think I've ever seen anything about, but figure someone on here might know. Why are the metal fin/mullion covers on the outside of the building just on random ones (at least on the side facing MLK Ave)? I think the ones on the front are on every one, but can't remember, and no idea about the other two sides, just looks odd.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Weird question I don't think I've ever seen anything about, but figure someone on here might know. Why are the metal fin/mullion covers on the outside of the building just on random ones (at least on the side facing MLK Ave)? I think the ones on the front are on every one, but can't remember, and no idea about the other two sides, just looks odd.
    Two reasons - one is that it is meant to create a transition from the existing solid walls to the new glass entry so that a modern new entry does not look abruptly placed in an existing wall while creating a build up of visual energy as you get closer to the entrance. The second is budget. These were added toward the end of the project due to excess funds, but there wasn't enough to money to cover the entire building. Rather than suddenly stopping the fins, they fade out in a gradient.

I took this a couple of weeks ago:

Quote Originally Posted by archicode View Post
    Two reasons - one is that it is meant to create a transition from the existing solid walls to the new glass entry so that a modern new entry does not look abruptly placed in an existing wall while creating a build up of visual energy as you get closer to the entrance. The second is budget. These were added toward the end of the project due to excess funds, but there wasn't enough to money to cover the entire building. Rather than suddenly stopping the fins, they fade out in a gradient.
    Interesting, thanks for the info, suspected budget was part of it. Just wish they faded in a true gradient (skip one, then skip two, then three, etc. or something similar) instead of being kind of random (I'll have to look more closely next time I'm by there to see if there is an actual pattern).

Blog Entries

SMO approved for PPP (not a judgement, just an FYI).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-07 223908.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	16231

Went today and noticed a large area dug out. I asked the manager and he said it will be a large science artwork installation. Smith and pickel is the GC. Not sure what it will look like, but glad they are putting it here for an update.

From Smith & Pickel:

Pete, in your picture there looks to be glass panels behind the steel work, are those windows or just decorative panels?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Pete, in your picture there looks to be glass panels behind the steel work, are those windows or just decorative panels?
    They are glass. Added as part of the big renovation of a few years ago.

New $8 million planetarium coming to Science Museum Oklahoma

Plans have been filed by Science Museum Oklahoma for a new $8 million state-of-the-art planetarium.

The new facility will be located in the shuttered space formerly known as the Omnidome at the east end of the complex.

The museum has been in the process of raising funds through the One Great Leap initiative.

Upon completion of the new planetarium and surrounding astronomy wing, the museum says it will be among the best equipped in the world. It will replace the existing planetarium.

With digital technology paired with extensive databases, educators can quickly field visitor requests and expand the museum's capacity to present real-time educational opportunities.

The museum is located at 2020 Remington Place next to the Oklahoma City Zoo.

great news and long overdue

This is good news!

I went to the Science Museum recently for the first time since I was a kid in the 90s. And I was shocked at how many of the exhibits from then are still the exact same. I was re-unlocking core memories that I had not thought of in almost 3 decades.

There was so much interactive stuff broken. Old CRT televisions on exhibits that didn't work or had terrible color. The place needs a wealthy philanthropist badly.

Thread Information