Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Twisters (2024 Movie)

1. Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

I saw Twisters on Friday and absolutely loved it. I am planning to see it again with friends. I hope they make another that is a sequel of this one.

Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

It's good clean fun.

If it bothers you to see Oklahomans who don't know a thing about where to take shelter when a tornado is bearing down on them, or if it bothers you to see downtown El Reno completely reconfigured with the water tower moved from the bridge on 81 all the way to downtown and for downtown being adjacent to agricultural fields and oil tanks, this is not the movie for you.

If it bothers you that everyone seems to have attended some university no one has ever heard of or the "U of A" for any serious pursuit of meteorology with a PhD in mind, this is also not the movie for you.

If you think it's a little strange that nothing OSU or OU appears in a movie about Oklahoma weather (as I guess the fees to the rights were too much), this is probably not the movie for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    It's good clean fun.

If it bothers you to see Oklahomans who don't know a thing about where to take shelter when a tornado is bearing down on them, or if it bothers you to see downtown El Reno completely reconfigured with the water tower moved from the bridge on 81 all the way to downtown and for downtown being adjacent to agricultural fields and oil tanks, this is not the movie for you.

If it bothers you that everyone seems to have attended some university no one has ever heard of or the "U of A" for any serious pursuit of meteorology with a PhD in mind, this is also not the movie for you.

If you think it's a little strange that nothing OSU or OU appears in a movie about Oklahoma weather (as I guess the fees to the rights were too much), this is probably not the movie for you.
    i just had a serious laugh in the el reno scene, because my grandpa (before he passed) used to yell about them digging the street car tracks back up, and saying he remembered when they paved over them, and that nothing good could come from bringing it back... and now i wish he were alive to see this movie, so that he could see that he was right. lol

This was a huge improvement on the original movie in pretty much every way. Particularly enjoyed that you could really tell this one was filmed here. The original may as well have been filmed entirely on a sound stage for how generic all of the settings looked.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i just had a serious laugh in the el reno scene, because my grandpa (before he passed) used to yell about them digging the street car tracks back up, and saying he remembered when they paved over them, and that nothing good could come from bringing it back... and now i wish he were alive to see this movie, so that he could see that he was right. lol
    I'm in El Reno several times per week. I think this movie is the first time I've ever seen the street car. Not one reference to onion burgers either.

I did have court when they were filming and was able to see the mess they made downtown.

There's a lot of beautiful Oklahoma scenery.. but it's like a strange parallel universe Oklahoma as you'd find it in some sort of a dream... sort of like reality, but not really like reality.

But really, again, if you are bothered by Oklahomans scheduling little league games and not calling them off until there's a tornado on the ground... maybe not the movie for you.

I think if any of this stuff bothers you, then most movies aren't for you.

I love watching chase scenes set in cities I'm familiar with. You get to watch them turn a corner and suddenly be in a completely different part of town.

Or watching Vancouver stand in for various US cities. For that matter, OKC stood in for NYC in this one. It's just how movies are made.

It is cool when they get it right, but even the most true to setting movies usually take a lot of liberties with location geography.

7. Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

I've stayed in the Biltmore in downtown LA a couple of times, and it is simultaneously cool AND a bummer to see its interior CONSTANTLY being used on commercials, shows and movies. Cool because "hey! I've been there!" But a drag because "dang, that's not really Monaco, that's just the elevator landing at the Biltmore..."

^

For years, I worked at 515 S. Flower which is almost directly across from the Biltmore. Between was the main library and a large park which were also very popular sites.

My parking was off the 110 via a series of crazy tunnels and overlapping ramps which I see on a commercial almost every single day. If you've seen a car chase scene or a Toyota commercial, you've seen my former commute.

Fortunately, most of the ridiculous amount of filming was in the evenings or on the weekends. But it was so constant it was still a gigantic PIA, especially when you realize that any filming is 98% people standing around and it's not cool or interesting at all.

People talk about all the filming leaving L.A. but you'd be surprised how much is still done there.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post

I love watching chase scenes set in cities I'm familiar with. You get to watch them turn a corner and suddenly be in a completely different part of town.

Or watching Vancouver stand in for various US cities. For that matter, OKC stood in for NYC in this one. It's just how movies are made.

It is cool when they get it right, but even the most true to setting movies usually take a lot of liberties with location geography.
    Movies would be boring if filmmakers and writers didn't take full advantage of suspension of disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Movies would be boring if filmmakers and writers didn't take full advantage of suspension of disbelief.
    Pro wrestling has relied on kayfabe for decades. Without it, it would fail.

It's good clean fun.

I specifically remember seeing one of the male extras in the movie wearing a red OU sweat shirt or T-shirt. None of the main characters did though.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post

Yes to this. If the film makers do a decent job with scientific accuracy, the effects are good, and it's actually filmed where most of it takes place (and you can tell), I think thats a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

For years, I worked at 515 S. Flower which is almost directly across from the Biltmore. Between was the main library and a large park which were also very popular sites.

My parking was off the 110 via a series of crazy tunnels and overlapping ramps which I see on a commercial almost every single day. If you've seen a car chase scene or a Toyota commercial, you've seen my former commute.

Fortunately, most of the ridiculous amount of filming was in the evenings or on the weekends. But it was so constant it was still a gigantic PIA, especially when you realize that any filming is 98% people standing around and it's not cool or interesting at all.

People talk about all the filming leaving L.A. but you'd be surprised how much is still done there.
    I learned this watching the Killers of the Flower Moon and Tulsa King filming down the street in Tulsa. Initially cool to watch but boring to watch them attempt the same shot 45 times. DeNiro rolled down his window and said hello to us though as they were heading out though so that was kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I learned this watching the Killers of the Flower Moon and Tulsa King filming down the street in Tulsa. Initially cool to watch but boring to watch them attempt the same shot 45 times. DeNiro rolled down his window and said hello to us though as they were heading out though so that was kinda cool.
    I got to be a background actor for a day for Twisters. It was a long, 14 hour day and for all of my time and effort there is only conceivably one shot from that day that ended up making into the movie. At least as far as I could tell/remember.

Blog Entries

Not sure I can go along with all of this, but interesting read nonetheless:

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...source=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm one of those MBAs who actually worked at several studios, primarily Paramount.

The reason they do so many franchises/sequels is because they can get them made, meaning they can get the financing.

Pretty standard rule of thumb is that the movie that follows in a series will earn at least 75% of the predecessor. It's really the only semi-guarantee in a business that requires tens of millions (and now hundreds of millions) without having any clue of what it will bring in at the box office. Many, many movies lose money as a result.

Look at it this way: the huge revenue generated by the franchises allows studios and independents to do tons of smaller art films. And with the unlimited ways to distribute these days, there are more small and indie films than ever before.
    And you can't rely on backend VHS/DVD sales anymore either

17. Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

I saw it in IMAX on Sunday and it was awesome! But I do agree there should have been more OKC in the film, not just standing in - but a downtown shot and a better shot of Will Rogers Airport, perhaps inside would have been nice. I think there should have been some more references to the other movie besides just a Dorthy. ..

But anyway - I give the film high ratings as did my wife and son who is a tornado fanatic and likely soon to be OU weather student. See it in IMAX if you have a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    This is all you will see of any OKC/Oklahoma has cities?! relation. The OG didnÂ’t either but I felt this one could have had ONE skyline shot or reference to the fact we donÂ’t all have anything but vast unfenced fields you can drive crowds of chaser trucks through. More Tulsa and Stillwater references rather than classic OU cap.

Again as stated before I am biased as a kid fan and Oklahoman, but the reviews are good and people like it. My gripes are from my own personal biases.

It seems the stuff they tried to incorporate from the old to new fell flat to me, one being the diverse but awesome soundtrack. The attempt at reviving the classic food table scene and “naked weather streaking” story redo was embarrassing. The seemingly nonstop F5s and multi city destruction whether known or often unknown they were coming. The destabilizing a giant one via a few anchors on a ram with glass windows.

ItÂ’s intense, sad, there is of course a love triangle (kinda?) and they do bring the fact of fan chasing being popular and annoying (main character chases and shoots fireworks in to tornados for likes on his YouTube channel.. lol yes really). And of course the evil in this one is using chasers for insurance guyÂ’s gains.

The main groups spend a lot of time chasing only to go insert themselves to help for good reason but not really, and just endangering themselves and others more.

There was no “grit” like the first and I would have preferred they did this as a stand alone that was similar and not try to tie it to the OG, or just made a straight sequel and carried the different story off on its own. This redo is what is falling flat for me. Again, my own bias. People seem to like it so no reason to not go watch yourself and just enjoy, it is definitely entertaining nonetheless.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I specifically remember seeing one of the male extras in the movie wearing a red OU sweat shirt or T-shirt. None of the main characters did though.
    he had on an OU hat and OU t-shirt. it was after a tornado and they were there to help people and he was being interviewed for like a local TV segment I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Damn that looks...rough. Seems like it is basically the exact same plot though.

I saw the new movie. I will say that this thread is pretty spot-on in reviews. To me the new one is a better movie than the first one. And I have huge nostalgia for the first one. But if you re-watch the first one in 2024, you see how bad it truly is.

Both movies are super cheesy, that isn't a surprise. What was a surprise to me is the quality special effects, non-stop action, and actual scientific jargon being used [mostly] correct. I am a weather nerd and used to chase storms myself, so the dialogue around the storms was refreshing.

Side-note for anyone who has seen it, why does the main character's name get mentioned in every single sentence said to her. I swear they said the name Kate at least 1000 times, it got distracting.

Where the storm chasers met and launched their tornado chase was in Orienta, Oklahoma, which is a few miles north of Fairview. It basically has several grain elevators and a couple buildings and a gas station.

I thought this movie was much better than the first. Yukon also made a cameo with the YNB sign (Yukon National Bank) and Daisy driving the truck at night down Main Street.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    This is all you will see of any OKC/Oklahoma has cities?! relation. The OG didnÂ’t either but I felt this one could have had ONE skyline shot or reference to the fact we donÂ’t all have anything but vast unfenced fields you can drive crowds of chaser trucks through. More Tulsa and Stillwater references rather than classic OU cap.

Again as stated before I am biased as a kid fan and Oklahoman, but the reviews are good and people like it. My gripes are from my own personal biases.

It seems the stuff they tried to incorporate from the old to new fell flat to me, one being the diverse but awesome soundtrack. The attempt at reviving the classic food table scene and “naked weather streaking” story redo was embarrassing. The seemingly nonstop F5s and multi city destruction whether known or often unknown they were coming. The destabilizing a giant one via a few anchors on a ram with glass windows.

ItÂ’s intense, sad, there is of course a love triangle (kinda?) and they do bring the fact of fan chasing being popular and annoying (main character chases and shoots fireworks in to tornados for likes on his YouTube channel.. lol yes really). And of course the evil in this one is using chasers for insurance guyÂ’s gains.

The main groups spend a lot of time chasing only to go insert themselves to help for good reason but not really, and just endangering themselves and others more.

There was no “grit” like the first and I would have preferred they did this as a stand alone that was similar and not try to tie it to the OG, or just made a straight sequel and carried the different story off on its own. This redo is what is falling flat for me. Again, my own bias. People seem to like it so no reason to not go watch yourself and just enjoy, it is definitely entertaining nonetheless.
    Saw it last night and you've expressed a lot of my qualms with it.

I would much rather have seen a story about the actual people we have here that chase storms. As an Oklahoman, there were so many things in it that I thought, "That's not how that works".

The effects were fun, though.

22. Default Re: Twisters (2024 Movie)

Meh. It’s entertainment, not documentary. Pretty much every action movie has multiple scenes that require suspension of disbelief, and which defy known laws of physics. And no big-budget thriller will ever be centered around non-actors. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Where the storm chasers met and launched their tornado chase was in Orienta, Oklahoma, which is a few miles north of Fairview. It basically has several grain elevators and a couple buildings and a gas station.

I thought this movie was much better than the first. Yukon also made a cameo with the YNB sign (Yukon National Bank) and Daisy driving the truck at night down Main Street.
    When they drove by the YNB, weren't they supposed to be in a different city? I can't remember, but I do know the friend with me at the theatre nudged me and said, that's Yukon, but they said they were in _________" and I can't remember where they were supposed to be. El Reno, maybe?

I told her nobody was going to notice or care except Okies I didn't even notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Meh. It’s entertainment, not documentary. Pretty much every action movie has multiple scenes that require suspension of disbelief, and which defy known laws of physics. And no big-budget thriller will ever be centered around non-actors. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
    Yeah, it was about what I thought it would ultimately be. After the movie, I did think it was a missed opportunity to showcase more of the actual storm chasing that we really get here in Oklahoma from the folks that chase for the news stations, but you're right. It was straight entertainment and I can't begrudge them for making it. I think there's still a more realistic movie to be made about the folks that chase tornadoes. I might be the only one that wants it, though

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    If the film makers do a decent job with scientific accuracy
    Side note; were you guys aware that an OU professor was the scientific consultant on Breaking Bad? She actually contacted the production and said she was a fan of the show and asked if they would like some help with the chemistry.

Thread Information