Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

1. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

Looks like Edmond is going to set a new benchmark for surface parking.

Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

My thoughts exactly. I hope those stores carry a lot of plus size clothing. Seriously -- walking ain't that bad!

Hey tnajk- thanks for the update and the link!

That's not even including the hotel/convention center/lifestyle center that will be developed at either the NE or SW corner.

Looks very similar to a development at the NW corner of Hwy 121 and Hwy 289/Preston Rd. in South Frisco. I did love being able to pull up to the store and not have to walk too far with my daughter. Also nice if you have a lot of bags to not need to walk forever to your car.

I'm hoping the Container Store opens up there!! The last time I was in the store they said they ask for phone numbers to get a read on where their customers are from and see if a new store should be opened.

I totally agree! I think it will be very similar to the shops in Frisco and also hope to see the Container Store.

maybe itll be a good thing there's a long walk from car to store (what with okc's addiction to fast food and what not)

when i was working @ supertarget on memorial, a developer had told me that they were looking in building a nordstrom somewhere either on memorial or north okc. of course this was years ago. as much as i'd love a nm, there is no way they would be interested in opening in okc.

Oh great we are going to become the next Austin, minus the good music.

Has anyone heard any news lately on this development? The last I recall, is that groundbreaking was to begin last fall. I'm wondering if Simon is even still behind the development.

just curious

Ive heard it is pretty much dead at this point.

This might be old news now but I heard Simon pulled out in 3rd/4th QTR '07. Heard Covell/I-35 is a harder deal to do and that 15th/I-35 has some traction but not a done deal either. These deals take a long time to do.

It's essentially dead minus a few investors who are desperately trying.

I've got a buddy that works for Oxford Development & he had mentioned that other than their main project east of Bryant on 2nd St. in Edmond, that they did have a hand in this project at Covell & I-35.

15. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

This is from a bigger article over at NewsOk.com. It is not too detailed but at least it implies that the project is still alive in some way or another.

"Two developers along Interstate 35 have suggested places for a conference center and an adjacent hotel complex.

Covell I-35 Development, local investors planning a retail, office, medical and entertainment development on three corners of Covell Road and I-35 in Edmond, has designated land on the northwest corner of their acreage for a possible conference center.

Birmingham, Ala.-based Bayer Properties has offered five acres as part of its mixed-use development at 15th Street and I-35."

Does anyone have anything further about this project???

from NewsOk.com Wednesday, December 17, 2008

EDMOND — The latest study on a conference center in Edmond gives a site at 15th Street and Interstate 35 a slight edge over an alternate location at Covell Road and I-35.

The market study, by PKF Hospitality Research, was presented to the Edmond Economic Development Authority and the city council Tuesday.

Alabama-based Bayer Properties proposes a mixed-use development with retail and restaurants, along with a full-service hotel and conference center, near 15th Street.

R. Mark Woodworth, president of PKF consulting of Atlanta, said this site was favored because plans are further ahead and there is already other development in the area.

The other site is proposed by Covell I-35 Development for the northwest quadrant of the intersection at Covell Road and the interstate. It is about three miles north of Bayer's proposed development. Developers there propose retail, restaurants and office space along with a hotel and conference center.

The study states both proposed sites would benefit from good accessibility and visibility from I-35.

A conference center has been a topic of discussion in Edmond for years. A number of studies have looked at a possible center. The latest study began in August and cost $28,000.

The study recommends an upscale, 200-room conference center with about 22,000 square feet of usable meeting space and amenities at a neighboring 3- or 3.5-star hotel.

It also recommends the project be a member of the International Association of Conference Centers, which would make it the second in the state. The other is the Reed Center in Midwest City.

The estimated cost of the hotel is $36.7 million. The conference center would cost $14.3 million.

What's next?

The project is envisioned as a public-private venture, involving the city of Edmond and, possibly one of the two developers that have proffered a site for the hotel and conference center.

Woodworth said the suggestion is for the property to be professionally managed after opening in January 2011.

How the project would be funded remains an unanswered question.

Mayor Dan O'Neil said he wants to increase the city's 4 percent lodging tax to help fund the project.

Mary Ann Karns, economic authority chairman, said she will form a committee to meet with the developers for both sites. Karns said the panel needs to find out what the developers have to offer and what they need before the economic authority board makes a recommendation to city council.

Karns said she didn't think the board could have a recommendation to the council before February.

18. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

I think 15th & 35 is a better location.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I think 15th & 35 is a better location.
    Except it would definitely hurt congestion there with wal-mart, then nearby, henderson hills and then the hospital.

20. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

God forbid Edmond develop some density.

21. Default Re: Possible hotel/convention center and shopping mall coming to I-35.

Exactly. If you want to have a convention center w/ retail, it's going be congested wherever you put it.

Awesome...an excuse to put up 5 or 6 more stoplights

Oh please!

Its located at an interstate with service roads and a large cross street (15th), if there is going to be more traffic congestion I think this location would handle it best.

It's a great location!

Thread Information